• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65 or 70? RH preferences and local climate

Eins

Today is my second day off, so I had some time. I just ordered Climmax from Vern and had to make a decision between 65 and 70%. So I did some research and a lot of reading of archived posts.

It appears to this novice that those of you who live in humid climates generally prefer a 65% RH, while those living in arrid climates prefer 70%. Makes total sense, and that's what I'm going by. I ordered 70%, because I live in a desert area (SoCal, not immediate coast).

My order was a quite small one, but so is my humidor. Vern said all I need now is a large tube. BTW, he was sick recently and hasn't fully gotten back on track yet. You might want to send him a short get-well mail. Anyway, even though a small order, it is an important one for me because it is the only humi I have, and I want my small inventory to remain in good condition. Only nones at this point, and when I move up to the next level, I may add a second humi. Then it will be 65%, following the majority's advice.

Any thoughts, comments, additional advice? I'm all ears.

Eins

I'm not sure that the overall environment is the issue. A good humidor is a (nearly)
sealed environment, and ambient humidity isn't really the problem. Lucasbuck and I live in one of the driest spots in the 48 (with a nod to Nevada) and we both like 65% or lower.

Currently the hygrometer on my desk reads at 29% (this with a furnace mounted humidifier) but the reading from my coolerdor is 65%.

See if you have burn/draw problems at 70% (you may not). If so, you might consider switching to the 65% beads.

Have fun! That's what it's all about. :)

65 in the desert? More power to you!

Your exception is only confirming the rule. My research showed a trend, meaning the majority of desert people did 70, the majority of mold people (I apologize) did 65.

I agree with you that inside a humidor, it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what kind of climate you have outside. But it may be psychological, expecting the precious stick to dry out once you take it out of its fortress, or getting soggy.

I'm with you on the observing part. See how they burn and draw, and adjust if needed. But I had to start somewhere...

My fun today was a HdM 1066. Perfect burn and draw, out of 68% RH.

Edited to add: How about some fun when you're driving? Sell your Saab and get an Audi :thumbs:

I don't think where ya live has anything to do with which beads you go with. Most people who prefer Havanas go with 65% so since that's mostly what's in my coolerdors, it doesn't matter if I lived in the desert like JOE.M. and JoeInvest or in paradise (Hawaii) like wkmang, we all use 65%RH ;)

Oh and don't waste time typing anything to try and convince Bob NOT to drive a Saab, believe me, it WILL NOT work :D

I take my in %65 beads. Nothing to do with mold though. I find a %70 cigar doesn't burn nearly as good as a %65 cigar when it is %85 hunidity outside. Now there are certain cigars that smoke better at %70. Those being the ones with paper thin wrappers. Just my opinion.

Emo

Now there's a correlation:

coventrycat, maybe it turns out that humid regionals smoke more Cubans (and go for 65 for that reason) than arrid regionals.

About the Saab--wait until I start making him deals. I sell Audi! :D

emodx,

maybe you just nailed the reason why humid regionals prefer 65 :)
The mold was an attempt at some dry humor ;)

Eins said:
Now there's a correlation:

coventrycat, maybe it turns out that humid regionals smoke more Cubans (and go for 65 for that reason) than arrid regionals.

About the Saab--wait until I start making him deals. I sell Audi! :D

emodx,

maybe you just nailed the reason why humid regionals prefer 65 :)
The mold was an attempt at some dry humor ;)
[snapback]147491[/snapback]​

Let me know if you take in a late model year 9000 Aero with low mileage. :love: :thumbs:

psyktek said:
Let me know if you take in a late model year 9000 Aero with low mileage. :love: :thumbs:
[snapback]147516[/snapback]​

Now we're talking.

Don't hold your breath, though. Saab drivers usually can't afford an Audi, so we don't get to trade those in much ;)

Eins said:
psyktek said:
[snapback]147516[/snapback]​

Now we're talking.

Don't hold your breath, though. Saab drivers usually can't afford an Audi, so we don't get to trade those in much ;)
[snapback]147743[/snapback]​

Actually it's not that they (not me) can't afford one, it's that most Audi salesmen aren't packing the gun they'd need to get a Saab driver behind the wheel of one. :laugh: :rolleyes:

What would be the best humidity if you have a humidor full of cigars with Cello compared to nude?

Should the humidity be higher due to the cello?

Mr Gone said:
What would be the best humidity if you have a humidor full of cigars with Cello compared to nude?

Should the humidity be higher due to the cello?
[snapback]148119[/snapback]​

I makes absoultely, positively no difference at all ;)