• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% VS 70% RH

I've been frustrated lately since my humidor won't keep my smokes above 60% no matter how hard I try. Actually, recently I've noticed that even if I keep it up (!) at even 65% the sticks seem a bit too wet for me, so I actually find myself preferring the 60% level. I guess it may be user preference.

Welcome to CigarPass kutastha! :thumbs:

I too prefer 60% but as you said, it's an individual choice but IMO, you're right on.

I've been frustrated lately since my humidor won't keep my smokes above 60% no matter how hard I try. Actually, recently I've noticed that even if I keep it up (!) at even 65% the sticks seem a bit too wet for me, so I actually find myself preferring the 60% level. I guess it may be user preference.

Ummmm, if your humidor will not keep your smokes above 60% no matter how hard you try how can you "recently" notice when you keep your cigars at even 65% they are too wet?

Damn Bill, how'd you miss that one? :D

Ummmm, if your humidor will not keep your smokes above 60% no matter how hard you try how can you "recently" notice when you keep your cigars at even 65% they are too wet?

I've only kept a few in it over the past year or so due to moving around and such, but after getting settled in, I recently filled it and tried to keep it above 65% in an effort to keep that 70/70, but noticed after the last couple of cigars I prefer them at 60%.

Welcome to CigarPass kutastha! :thumbs:

I too prefer 60% but as you said, it's an individual choice but IMO, you're right on.

Thanks for the welcome!

The choice of 60, 65 or 70% Rh is pretty much personal preference when it comes to the cigars you will smoke in the near future. I prefer 70% if I am not going to smoke the cigars within the next year, I think long term storage is better at 70%.

I recently bouth 2 lbs of 65% humidity beads from heartfelt along with an adjustable digital hygrometer with one step calibration packet. I have a 30 bottle haier wine cooler and the beads in the mesh bags (three different all over the fridge. The temp has been pretty steady in the fridge at 65-67 degrees, but the humidity has really fluctuated in the last day or two from 60-73%. And it can fluctuate fast too, within a couple of hours moving 5-10%. Is this type of fluctuation something that you guys see with the beads? Perhaps the seal in the fridge isnt good? What is the damage to the Cigars if this continues?

Thanks,

Some cigars do smoke better at somewhat higher RH but most smoke better at 65% or lower.

I disagree that it's ALWAYS personal preference. Some cigars are flat out ruined at 70%. Diablo, many Cubans, LADC Marquis, to name a few.

in terms of relative humidity...

a higher temperature *could* correspond with a lower humidity level.. right?

or, conversely, a higher humidity level would coincide with a lower temperature...

ie.. 70/70 == 65/72 == 75/65

right?

in terms of relative humidity...

a higher temperature *could* correspond with a lower humidity level.. right?

or, conversely, a higher humidity level would coincide with a lower temperature...

ie.. 70/70 == 65/72 == 75/65

right?
You want to try to maintain the same rh no matter the temperature.

I think that in general a lower temp would coincide with a lower rh and a warmer with a higher, but I'm no expert. I don't think this is really pertinent to cigar storage, though.