• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

75th Anniversary of VE Day

Nihon_Ni

真喜志友幸
Today marked the 75th anniversary of the end of one of the bloodiest conflicts in human history. Hundreds of thousands of men and women answered their country's call, and many of them never returned home, or returned home less than whole. As a Marine, I was taught the history of my forebears, and I treasured the legacy that those Marines left for me. In recent years, I've been able to see the valor on all sides of the conflict. My time abroad gave me a different perspective where I realized that no history is objective -- it's all written with a bias, mostly from the victors. Nations make wars, but young men on all sides answer the call to do the unthinkable to preserve their way of life. Many of my great uncles fought in WWII. I've had the fortunate opportunity to meet and fly with many WWII veterans. I have trouble imagining what they volunteered to do, even though they knew the odds of their survival.

To all the Greatest Generation I say a heartfelt, thank you for my freedom.

Great post. It's much more subdued than the commemoration would have been this year, of course, but it still did not pass without note.

Good post.......my respect and gratitude goes out to all veteran's.

Great post. It's much more subdued than the commemoration would have been this year, of course, but it still did not pass without note.

The flyover of the WWII memorial in Washington DC has been rescheduled for Sept 25, hopefully it will occur!

Thank you to all the vets. May your courage and sacrifice continue to be recognized through all generations.