• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A “Small” project

Looks good!

I'd probably skip the cedar myself and use mahogany for wooden shelves.

Actually, being the "frugal" type, I'd use the wire closet shelving and use boxes as trays.

You've stirred me to put the local antique shops on my winter shopping list. There are great deals to be had up here in the non-tourism season.

Wow, great job, Marc! My mind is currently surveying all the furniture in the house wondering about it's potential!

Very nice. Like everyone else said, makes me want to check out the Antique shops here.

One of those old cabinet style stereos, the kind where you lift the lid and the turntable come up. May have some potential, and you could always fab the sides where the speakers are to be additional storage too. Many ideas running around in my little brain.

Looks good!

Actually, being the "frugal" type, I'd use the wire closet shelving and use boxes as trays.

You've stirred me to put the local antique shops on my winter shopping list. There are great deals to be had up here in the non-tourism season.

Wow, thats actually a great idea, to use wire shelving (inexpensive and convenient). Would the wire shelving create condensation? I forgot how to calculate dew points and such, been over 12 years since I took earth science in junior high.

Man, that is a sweet setup!! I had thought about something like that for some time. My mother has always enjoyed refinishing antique furniture. She also hits all the antique shops and rummage sales looking for her next project.

I often wondered about a project like this, but was always worried about getting the doors to seal properly. Maybe I'll have to look into that again.

Sweet project Marc.

Jason

Looks good!

Wow, thats actually a great idea, to use wire shelving (inexpensive and convenient). Would the wire shelving create condensation? I forgot how to calculate dew points and such, been over 12 years since I took earth science in junior high.

I wish I could take credit for it! (Thanks, Jack Straw!)

With the plastic coating on these I don't see how moisture would be a problem. 65-70% humidity isn't really ALL that high, so I think they'd be fine. I'm no expert, but I'd try it if I were in the same boat...

One of those old cabinet style stereos, the kind where you lift the lid and the turntable come up. May have some potential, and you could always fab the sides where the speakers are to be additional storage too. Many ideas running around in my little brain.

That sounds like a great idea. Before I bought this cabinet I was looking at others on ebay and saw some music or record cabinets that were made of mahogany and looked very promising. . .until I saw what shipping would be. :whistling:

Looks good!

I wish I could take credit for it! (Thanks, Jack Straw!)

With the plastic coating on these I don't see how moisture would be a problem. 65-70% humidity isn't really ALL that high, so I think they'd be fine. I'm no expert, but I'd try it if I were in the same boat...

Plastic covered wire shelfs would work alright. Only problem is that plastic tends to degrad over time and cutting the shelf to fit the humidor opens up the metal to the humidy. Which leads to rust.

In the end it all comes down to how much you want to invest.

It looks beautiful. Have you tested it out to see how well it holds its humidity? Post up some more pictures when you get the shelves in.

An update.

A long day for me, I did quite a bit of detail work on the cabinet. I ordered 4 cigar trays for $40, and wouldn’t you know, three of them fit exactly into the base of the cabinet. Instead of building single drawers I decided to put all three together and make a nice tray. :cool:

opus118.jpg

The one piece of Spanish cedar I ordered still hasn’t come so I’m stuck using the Lauan as a shelf. The supports are just simple poplar wood lined with plastic.

opus120.jpg

Work would have gone faster if the mailman hadn’t stopped by. I didn’t know that they could just give you the cart. :0

opus121-1.jpg

Well aside from the shelf that I want to make this is the final product. I drilled ¼ inch holes for ventilation (Would have liked to used a router, but I don’t own one. I would recommend anyone trying to build their own humidor to invest in one.) ;)

opus125.jpg

opus126-1.jpg

Absolutely amazing Marc! You have got to be proud of your work. I wish you'd have mentioned the router, I have three of them I'd certainly sent you one to borrow if you needed it. But the drilled holes look great and seem to be very evenly spaced. Well done!

Wade

Very nice work. I've been looking for an old secretary desk to convert. The wife likes antiques so this may be the only way I'll be able to upgrade from the coolidor.

Looking better all the time!

Looks great! I wish I were handy. Growing up, my father's only tools were excessive profanity and a butter knife. Needless to say I probably couldn't build something like that.