• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

a bunk 1926 No. 2 Maduro

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
couldn't have been more disspointed...

after a long, brutal 2 weeks of school that kept me from being able to smoke as often as I like, I wanted to ring in the relaxation, short as it might last, with a cigar from the trusty 1926 line.

no differing circumstances from the other 1926 cigars I've pulled out of any of the few sampler boxes I've had. (i.e. kept in <70˚ and 65-68% since I got them about 6-8 months ago).
partnered with my current favorite, now that it's cooling down quite a bit - a big mug of freshly brewed yerba matte green tea w/ a little honey. I'm not sick, and everything else seems to be working fine, nasal and tastebud-wise.

actually, one recent change has been that with the cooler weather, it's been closer to 63-65˚ in my humidors (which is what I'd LOVE to be able to have year-'round), as opposed to 67-70˚ like it is from about may to september, but that factor hasn't seemed to change the normal character of any of the other cigars that I've smoked since the cool-down.
(while on the subject, anyone know if there's a temperature at which, or below, that is known to be "harmful", in any way, for short or long term storage?)

everything looked, smelled, and tasted to be fine & dandy on pre-light. perfect draw and construction, and it even tasted like 1926's usually do before being lit, which is what confused me most after lighting it and tasting it torched.

darn-near zero detectable hints of that heavenly nuttiness or gingerbreadyness that I love so much in the 1926's.
what's odd, is that it wasn't really any less robust than normal, and the finish lasted about as long as normal, but the usual flavors were replaced by bland tobacco and strong grassy flavors.

I accept that these things can happen... it's a plant derivative, they're rolled by humans etc. etc.
variation and/or mistakes can and will be made. I just figured that with the reputation of this line, one that I subscribe to by the way, that it was worthy of commenting on the rarity of stumbling upon a dud.
it's just weird to have the 5000 maduros that I've been fairly-regularly smoking lately taste more like a 1926 maduro than this No. 2 did.

oh well. there's always next time.:)

moki said:
Wow, that blows. Did you get it in a trade, or buy it from a retailer?
I bought it from a retailer.
it came in a 1926 sampler box. I've smoked 2 of the other 3 in the box, and they were perfectly fine.

That's gotta be damn rare. I've had tons of Padrons and nary a bad one in the bunch. The Anniversary line in particular is always great. There's something about a puro. Dominican, Nicaraguan or Cuban. They are my favorites by far. The blends are inferior to my taste.

Indeed very strange. I smoke Padrons all the time and can count on 1 finger the bad sticks I've encountered. But I guess it happens. Too bad

I've smoked one 1926 and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I smoked about half of it and the tar build up was so huge it was affecting the taste. I purged it and after that... no taste whatsoever. It went completely dead. Very weird...

pnutbutrsangwich said:
I've smoked one 1926 and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I smoked about half of it and the tar build up was so huge it was affecting the taste. I purged it and after that... no taste whatsoever. It went completely dead. Very weird...
I'd still strongly recommend giving the line another go.
like 'em or not, having no taste whatsoever is something I've never heard the 1926's being accused of.
apart from mine, you probably got the only other dud 1926 in existence! :p

puffnstuff said:
pnutbutrsangwich said:
I'd still strongly recommend giving the line another go.
like 'em or not, having no taste whatsoever is something I've never heard the 1926's being accused of.
apart from mine, you probably got the only other dud 1926 in existence! :p
Ditto. It's an excellent cigar line. Oddly, I've never had a bad 1926 or 1964 yet. Not a single one. I'm sure it'll happen one day, but they do seem damn consistent to me... or maybe I'm just lucky!! :D

moki said:
...Oddly, I've never had a bad 1926 or 1964 yet. Not a single one. I'm sure it'll happen one day, but they do seem damn consistent to me... or maybe I'm just lucky!! :D
we know how lucky you are, Moki. :D

Never had a bad '26 or '64. I had a plugged 2000 once, but that's it. Hell, even the supposed messed up '26 Gator and I had at the Padrons tasted fine. And that one was missing a nice chunk of wrapper at the foot.

lucasbuck said:
There's something about a puro. Dominican, Nicaraguan or Cuban. They are my favorites by far. The blends are inferior to my taste.
I've been wondering about this, actually.
puros must be the best way for somebody figure out if they like the tobacco from a specific location, even though there are differences in puro flavor profiles among different brands from the same approximate geographical origin.

in keeping somewhat on-topic within this thread, anybody got any non-padron nicaraguan puro recommendations?

These things happen. I've had a #6 that was ****e. That said, I'm not giving up on the PAM's. I've had so, so many that were great. Try again :)

Tony Bones said:
I've had so, so many that were great. Try again :)
amen.

and in trotting on with hope and faith, I sparked up a #9 maduro this morning...

I'll just say that though the draw was particularly loose (even by Padron standards), redemption rained down like cats and dogs from the heavens of Humane Societies. :)

Back