• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A contest of the imagination....Pics Added!

jgohlke

My other hobby
Pics are on page 2....

It's a contest, plus I'm trying to get my post count into 4-digits...I think I may win the "slowest CP'er to 1000 posts" award...

Anyway, here's the deal. It's a simple contest, amuse or entertain me in some way with your idea. It doesn't have to be "doable", but I am looking for ideas. I'll decide who wins. Contest to run for a couple of days or until I get bored with it. A nice little package of cigars to the winner!

The background details:

We live in a modest subdivision in Central Florida (house is 2500 sq feet, 4/3 with attached garage). House was built in 1972, in-ground concrete pool was added about 1982. For some reason, the owners had it built with brown tiles and brown concrete. Yes, you read that right, a brown pool. About 1992 the previous owners had it "skinned" with a layer of white fiberglass. We bought the house in 1996. By 2000, the fiberglass had started to flake off and peel. Last spring, the pump went belly up, we drained the pool and let it sit. About two weeks ago I started scraping off the fiberglass. I'll post some pictures when I get home. It's about as much fun as you might imagine.

Our kids are grown (although still at home) and even before the pump blew up, nobody had been in the pool in at least 4 years. We don't use it and we don't really want a swimming pool.

We've never seen it brown as we bought it already fiber-glassed, so with all the scraping and a lot of the brown now exposed, my wife was standing on the side of the pool wondering, "Why would anybody build a brown pool? It would be like swimming in a giant toilet!"

So, in a month or two, after I get all the fiberglass scraped off, I'll have this giant hole in my backyard made out of brown concrete.

What to do with it?

I say have some local kids come over and do some spray painting and turn your backyard into the local skate park!!

Put a roof on it and some sort of exhaust/ventilation system and you'll have your in-ground man cave. Or make it in to a walk in humidor.

Have a trampoline installed for the kids. It would be flat on the ground, with a hole underneath it. At least you can have an inground trampoline. I had one growing up.

Fill it with alligators. Then you could setup wackos like Chris Hansen does on NBC on To Catch a Predator. Have the young lady tell them to just "meet me out back by the pool". Then when they get there, have'em go for a dip. Hell, most episodes of that show take place in Florida anyway! :laugh:

Build a BBQ behind it that resembles a toilet tank, complete with handle.

Seriously, depending on how big it is, how about a landscaped walk path with fertile vegetation where you can sit and enjoy a cigar. You could get some rich soil, some big rocks, maybe build a small water fall, some palm trees, and a set of winding natural rock steps down to where you can enjoy a cigar in the shade, nice and quiet and cool. With the right plants it could be very secluded and the oxygen produced would nullify the cigar smoke.

Completely replumb and now this? Jayzus, Joe, what's next? Meteor through the roof?

My youngest just moved back in, tired of the mean, cruel world. I tried to tell him that college was the way.

As for the ugly brown pool, hiring this guy comes to mind.

swim.jpg

What about making it a giant koi pond? Or if you're a fisherman, fill it with bass and you can fish in your backyard.

Your in florida, right? I think you could hold another contest to see how long it takes before it fills itself with water again lol. Ok..bad swampland joke....

I would fill it with freshwater and stock it with bass. You wouldn't even need a boat, you could just cast out from the house! :D

I have the same problem Joe. We have an inground pool that's rather large (18x36) that we don't use either, although mine results from one of my "man ideas". My pool sits on the far side of my property next to my neighbors who has a 50+foot pin oak of which half of which hangs over my pool. Every year, no matter how careful I would be in taking off the cover, I would end up with leaves and brown water from the cover in the pool. It would take me 2-3 weeks to clear the water. One year, I got smart. :rolleyes: I figured if I drained the pool, I could just fill it back up in the spring and not worry about the nasty water from my cover getting in. I drained it one weekend and was waiting for the cooler weather before I covered it, but what I didn't realize was that with the pool having a vinyl liner, it didn't take well to being empty and then having a weeks worth of downpour sit in the 8 foot end. I went out another week later to pump out the deep end so I could cover it up but the liner had decided to stretch and pull itself off of the shallow end. Well, at that point now needing a new liner, a new ring to hold it in place, and new plumbing for the pump, I didn't plan on having it fixed. Three years later with vegation growing out of the 3 foot end, a full array of frogs that only like to make noise at night, and the occasion snake I see in there, I plan to have the concrete taken up with a Bobcat and thrown into the pool, putting a couple loads of fill dirt in, and then planting some grass on top. Thankfully this will only cost $800 for the whole shabang. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to turn the pool house into.

I think you shouuld turn it into a bass pond. Maybe you could put a tiny bass boat on it and fish all the time.

Joe, since you are a homebrewer...

Don't think of it as an empty brown swimming pool, instead think of it as a really big primary fermenter.

Now you can make BIGGER BATCHES !!! :rolleyes:

Secret Smoking Society, and fort for big kids with sticks that won't put you eye out.

Finish removing the fiberglass, fill it with water, plant a bunch of foliage around the edges and you'll have a nice pool that feels like swimming in a backyard pond!

One down side... it won't be immediately apparent when one of your drunk friends sharts in your pool.

Use it as a really, really big ashtray.

You could even invite all of us over to help you fill it!

You could just buy a couple of 5 gallon buckets of concrete paint. Throw a few coats on, and then you will have a giant not brown hole in your yard. That garage floor epoxy stuff with the little sparkle chips would be pretty cool too.

I second turning it into a koi pond. You can keep the pool border if you want, but you could also plant something tropical around the pool as well to create more of a natural look. I'd kill to have some sort of tropical oasis in my backyard where I could sit and smoke, drink, what have you...

pool_converted_koi_pond.JPG

lily-pond-m.jpg