• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A cool piece of tobacco (and family) history

Ralph

This is my great-grandfather’s 1930 permit for curing tobacco which he did on his farm in Simsbury, CT.

I spent a lot of time on this property in the ‘70s and ‘80s and the curing barn was still standing at that time. The Hartford County Mutual Fire Insurance Company is still in operation today as The Hartford Insurance Company.

IMG_2642.jpeg

"That only coal, coke or charcoal be used for fuel"

Coke? I had to honestly google that. Never knew that coke was similar to charcoal, but had a higher carbon % and less impurities.

Coke? I had to honestly google that. Never knew that coke was similar to charcoal, but had a higher carbon % and less impurities.
Yep, there are some coke ovens near my house and we used to ride our bikes and quads back the old train tracks to them.

The good old days when coke was so plentiful it was in sodas. Just shovel another pile of coke on the fire, we'd say! /Grandpa Simpson voice

That’s cool and interesting.

Grew and harvested tons of tobacco when I was young (80s/90s) and saw some fire cured occasional. Never occurred to me anyone would need a permit. Grandpa and Dad never mentioned stuff like that though and encouraged us to do something besides farming, lol.

Right now with these crazy prices of food, farming would not be a bad idea. One of my local brothers has chicken ( about 80+ ) and sells some eggs to us. The chickens, well hell, use you imagination after they stop laying. One thing I didn't know, he buys the chicks at 6-8 weeks old, but they have to get to 9 months and older before they lay. I'm a city boy so I don't know anything about farm life,