• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

a couple questions from a noob about cuban cigars

thatsonofa

Are cubans that much better, or is all the hype becasue they are illegal?

Is castro dieing/being replaced going to change anything for cigar smokers in the US?

How much is business going to grow for cuban cigar companies when(if ever) they are made legal again?

Cuban cigars are different, They taste different than Non Cuban cigars.
Being that the main difference is taste related it's all a matter of perception as to if they are better or not. Some people love them, some hate them, some can't tell the difference because they are caught up in "the Hype".

From what I have read the embargo won't be lifted until Cuba abandons its one party system. Raul Castro has already made steps of maintaining the "old guard" so I don't see the embargo opening up in the near future.

When and if the embargo does end the quality and price of Cuban cigars are sure to be affected. Price up, Quality down.

Just my thoughts of course...........
Welcome to CP

Is castro dieing/being replaced going to change anything for cigar smokers in the US?

How much is business going to grow for cuban cigar companies when(if ever) they are made legal again?

1.taste is subjective to each individual
2.Raul is now in power. Nothing will change anytime soon.
3.I think business will stay the same. You can only produce to much product. Also it would probably benefit them to keep production limited as to artificially inflate prices.

When and if the embargo does end the quality and price of Cuban cigars are sure to be affected. Price up, Quality down.

Just my thoughts of course...........
Welcome to CP

Sadly, I agree.

semi thread jack
If the embargo was lifted, it would be interesting to see new cigars that are blended using Cuban tobacco.

semi thread jack
If the embargo was lifted, it would be interesting to see new cigars that are blended using Cuban tobacco.

I remember reading about DPG's thoughts on his "perfect" cigar. He speaks of using mostly Cuban tobacco with a leaf or two of Nic. included. On paper, it would seem to be a tasty smoke... Hopefully, after the embargo is lifted, companies won't start adding a small amount of low quality Cuban tobacco to their normal blends just to market the fact that their sticks "contain Cuban tobacco!!!" However, I think this is inevitable.

Just like any other country of origin, there are great, ok and terrible cigars.

Not going to change anything.

Not going to happen in any of our lifetimes.

Predictions were, as I believe I read, an initial demand for one year of united states consumption would take cuban companies and rollers a minimum of three years to fulfill.

Cuban cigars are not any better or worse than Nicaraguan or Dominican ones. They have a unique flavor because of the soil the leaves are grown in. Many people enjoy the taste of Cuban cigars over other countries because of their unique flavors, but there are many people who would rather smoke something else.

My dad smoked cigars for over 40 years, his favorite was the Macanudo Prince Phillip. He had access to any cigars in the world and would bring me Cuban cigars whenever he would travel abroad. I happen to love the taste of Cuban tobacco so that is what I smoke most of the time. I also enjoy Nicaraguan puros, i.e Padron 1964 Maduros and Dominican cigars with Cameroon wrappers, i.e Fuente Don Carlos.

Yes there are people out there who say they only smoke Cubans because of the taste, but in reality it is because of the forbidden fruit aspect of the cigars. In my opinion real cigar smokers will enjoy cigars made in different countries, yes they will have their favorites, but they are still able to appreciate cigars from all over the world.

When Castro dies, the cigar industry will change also. What type of change, no one can predict.

The growth of Cuban cigar mfgs. will likely go through the roof when the embargo ends. If mfgs like Fuente and Padron are able to go to Cuba and grown their own tobacco, the quality of the cigars coming out of Cuba will likely quadruple. It will certainly be an exciting time for us cigar smokers.

Cuban cigars are not any better or worse than Nicaraguan or Dominican ones. They have a unique flavor because of the soil the leaves are grown in. Many people enjoy the taste of Cuban cigars over other countries because of their unique flavors, but there are many people who would rather smoke something else.

My dad smoked cigars for over 40 years, his favorite was the Macanudo Prince Phillip. He had access to any cigars in the world and would bring me Cuban cigars whenever he would travel abroad. I happen to love the taste of Cuban tobacco so that is what I smoke most of the time. I also enjoy Nicaraguan puros, i.e Padron 1964 Maduros and Dominican cigars with Cameroon wrappers, i.e Fuente Don Carlos.

Yes there are people out there who say they only smoke Cubans because of the taste, but in reality it is because of the forbidden fruit aspect of the cigars. In my opinion real cigar smokers will enjoy cigars made in different countries, yes they will have their favorites, but they are still able to appreciate cigars from all over the world.

When Castro dies, the cigar industry will change also. What type of change, no one can predict.

The growth of Cuban cigar mfgs. will likely go through the roof when the embargo ends. If mfgs like Fuente and Padron are able to go to Cuba and grown their own tobacco, the quality of the cigars coming out of Cuba will likely quadruple. It will certainly be an exciting time for us cigar smokers.
How's it going Harris? Nice to see you around buddy.

NA

That's a bold statement. I believe it will happen and it's not too far away.

Brian

Geez I didn't even think of that Harris... Fuente going to Cuba and growing and rolling that leaf, OMG! Sign me up for some of that stuff that'll be very very goooooda!

That's a bold statement. I believe it will happen and it's not too far away.

Brian

Well, I guess I can keep hoping though :laugh: ...I dread the day when the embargo is lifted and the quality and/or price goes into the crapper.

A Cuban is a Cuban, even if my stash is around 80% Cuban I like to explore the other tastes and differences between countries.

Is there a hype over Cuban, of course, and it is sad, how many times I meet cigars smokers that finally put their hands on a cuban and are dissapointed, many, they expect too much because the cuban cigars have a pseudo mythical aura around them. For me, Cuban is the benchmark to compare other cigars but not to say that they are the perfection, I compare and see the differences, so are good, some are bad.

As for Cuba itself, I think we will see them coming to democracy in the next years or so, lot of people say the price will go up, I think you will see a cigar war between cuban and nc blends. Also after the hype, will pass a status quo will probably prevails anyway.

I also use Cuban cigars as a benchmark when comparing other countries cigars. Besides the flavor and construction qualities, I also compare the prices. I find it hard to justify paying 8-9 dollars for a non Cuban corona gorda, when I can buy Cubans for 5-6 bucks for the same sized cigar.