• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A few cigar related questions and commentary.

doublegun

Well I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome I have so far received on this board;).    Horse has suggested that a good way for folks to get to know me is to post questions.   That would, of course, seem logical :lookup: .    The only thing horse has warned me about is that usage of "acid" and cigar in the same sentence will likely lead to my banishment from this board and possibly this temporal plane :p :cool: .

So without further adieu I have often wanted to ask a few burning (no pun intended) questions to other fellow blazing enthusiasts.

First off like other cigar smokers I will sometimes find that even with a proper cutter (I do like the guillotine style) a cigar's wrapper will sometimes unravel on me.  This is not such a big deal with seconds and lower quality brands, but I really hate it when a Hemingway starts to do this.  

I have heard that there are products out there, which you can use to "glue" down the errant wrapper, but have never seen one nor tried it.   Has anyone come across one of these products and what, if any, success have you had with them?

Do any of you find, like I do, that smaller ring gauge smokes will typically burn hotter than the typical Corona?   I do admit that a few smaller smokes have been excellent and don't burn hotter but they appear to have been the exception rather than the rule.

I have often pondered the proper procedure for the lighting of a prime aged vintage cigar.   I have read of various techniques to ensure uniform burning and to prevent "scorching"(I am not sure if this is the proper term) of the tobacco.  

I have personally found that torches do the best job by toasting the tobacco rather than turning it black.  The worst way I have found to light a stick is to use the old stand-by cigarette lighters.   By the time you actually get the foot properly lit, the bouquet of the cigar is often times ruined.   What is your favorite procedure to light a cigar and what technique do you find works best??

I also am curious as to what, if anything, you typically drink whilst enjoying a cigar.   I have various drinks I enjoy depending upon the smoke.   For medium to full-bodied smokes I typically will chose a Stout Beer of Porter beer with a snifter of good strong Bourbon thrown in for good measure.   For light to medium smokes I usually choose a good wine,  Port or ale.  I also will throw in a good blended of Single malt depending upon the smoke.  

Any thoughts you have I would love to read.

Happy V-day everyone :love: !

Doublegun. ;)

Helo there and agin welcome to the best damn cigar board this side of the equater(if that s how its spelled... LOL)!

On your first question I have no I dea other than I do now a guy that sometimes carries around a vial of the rolling liquid to repair rappers. He likes it but I myself have never used it and am unsure of its proper name and content. I do know it is a water based liquid.

Second, I prefer the smaller ring gauges. For my taste I feal that the flavor and body of the cigar is richer and fuller. More the way the cigar was ment to taste. As for the burn you just half to make love to the smoke and not treat it like a bitch! HEHEHE Take your time savor the smells and tastes, slow down the amount you drag on it. I think you'll tend to love them more. Don't get me wrong I love my torps and churchills in some brands, but give me a Boli, SLR or R&J petit corona any day!!!! :D :p

Next my personal preference is a good old fashion wood match. Lights the gigar it was ment to be lit. Although for his birthday I purchased a XM series Prometheus flint lighter and I must say I like that alot. I would recomend one of those anyday.

Last I drink alot of coffee when I'm smoking at the cigar shop. At home a nice pino goes wonderfully with a rich full body cigar and a good o'l Labats or molsen for my lighter smokes.

Well theres my answers hope they help.
:p :0 :cool:

Hey Doublegun,

This also happens to me sometimes; when I use the guilitine cutter, the wrapper begins to unwrap. If this happens, I simply finish the cut, and then pop the 'gar in my mouth, and moisten the end of it. This causes the wrapper to stay in place. Kinda like a natural glue. :) To combat this problem, I no longer use the guilitine cutter. I am now using a bullet cutter. Are you familar with this type of cutter? You simply poke the end of the cigar (this sounds weird...) and you put a hole in it. You can do this instead of cutting the head off.

Because your smoking smaller ring cigar's, there is less surface area (where the "cherry" of the cigar is) that is burning. This causes smaller cigars to burn faster, and the more you puff, the hotter it get's, thus creating hotter smoke. To combatthis, simply take fewer puff's. Don't flick the ash, try and maintain an ash at least 1/2 inch or longer. This also helps to keep the 'gar cooler, and some say it add's some flavor.

Now, onto lighting a cigar... I also prefer using long wooden matches, but they can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes. If I go out to dinner somewhere, I'll take along my all in one torch lighter which also has a built in bullet cutter! :) First I toast the foot, and then light the sucker up.

Drinks... My favorite is beer. I am really into different types of micro brew's. Depending on the body of the cigar I am smoking will depend on the type of beer I drink.

Be sure to check out our link up top titled "Cigars 101". There is alot of helpful information in there. It also tells you how to properly light and cut a cigar.

Hope this helps...

Rod :p