• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Good Beginner Cigar?

cvmfour

I figured this should be a good first post...

While on a cruise last week, I went to a cigar shop in Cozemel (sp?) and bought 2 cigars for the hell of it. Not being a cigarette smoker I decided to try them anyway. I bought a Partagas (sp?) and a Punch. They were both singles and in an aluminum canister I guess. The Partagas seemed harsh to me but the Punch I actually enjoyed. And that is when I popped my cigar cherry...LOL

What are some good cigars ya'll would reccomend for a beginner? I've been looking at the Punch line and Drew Estate line. Figured I'd stay away from Drew Estate because of the bad reviews I've been reading about. All opinions are welcomed.

Try some Padron's, CAO's and Torano's. I'm sure you'll find a bunch out of those lines to your liking

decent newbie smokes to get your feet wet would be Romeo y Juliet, Macanudo, Dunhill.

Fastdr mentioned some other brands most of which will be a little stronger than the ones I mentioned but are still good.

I don't really want any strong smokes. I'd say mild to medium bodied cigars.

The first cigar I ever had was a house blend Cohiba at a local Cigar Bar in Tampa. The important thing was that it was really mild. If it was anything strong I probably wouldnt be smoking today.

Thanks for the suggestions on the mild cigars. I'm afraid if I start out too strong then I prolly won't smoke much longer. Keep it up... :thumbs:

My favorite milds are AVO. Try the maduros :thumbs:

Welcome to CP by the way :D

Welcome aboard. Great group of fellas here.

If you're not smoking regularly and have a little coin to play with I'd try the following:

-Padron 1964's in the larger sizes. These are medium-bodied and one of the most widely liked cigars out there.
-Perdomo Edicion De Silvio (rare, but attainable and good)
-Montecristo #2 ISOM (Island South of Miami)
-Pretty much any Romeo Y Julieta ISOM

Remember two things:

1. A cigar is only as good as its storage. This can be as simple as keeping your smokes in a tupperware container w/ a Credo (cigar humidification element).
2. Age is king. 6 months of age can make all the difference on a cigar...but a few years is generally prefered on Cubans.

Thanks again for the help fellas. Got a few questions...

1. What's the difference between maduro and natural cigars?
2. I thought cubans were outlawed in the US, so how can I actually get ahold of them? Or is there an Island south of miami (ISOM)?

May seem dumb...Guess I just gotta catch up.

The whole lot of you are too rich for my blood!

Good newbie cigars are CHEAP - that way the fancy schmancy ceegars you are naming off will seem more special, and perhaps he won't have to drop a Jackson to light up a few.

A cheap mild cigar is a Magellan Corona - You can often score them for under $15 for 25 of them on Cigarbid; or you can get 50 of 'em for $30 straight from CI. It has a decent Conneticut wrapper and all long filler.

If you feel like spending a bit more you could try the Old Fashioned brand. Whiteash.com has the #350 cigars (these are Macanudo Clayborne seconds) $20 for a bundle of 20 currently. I believe the Old Fashioned #700 is Mac Baron Rothschild - $25/bundle from Mike's.

Yesterday a enjoyed a mild Flor de Filipinas corona that cost me 36 cents including shipping; its a mixed filler (AKA Sandwich) from the makers of Fighting Cock and Double Happiness. Go figure it was very similar to those $5 retail sticks but underfilled a bit.

I guess some people feel its best to introduce people to really great things from the get go. In another realm I enjoy, HiFi; I also wouldn't send someone who was used to Bose (cigarrettes) to listen to Wilson Grand Slamm's (Opus xXx or some super ISOM I haven't enjoyed yet) as they were venturing into Hi Fi. Instead I would send them to listen to a pair of NHT SuperZeros or PSB Alphas or the like. I wouldn't have been able to hear the nuances and subtle details that make Grand Slamms $120k speakers until I had spent some time with my $800 Vandersteen speakers. Although the Wilson's are the ULTIMATE in loudspeakers, I am happy with my Vandies because I realize the diminishing returns. I think that is also why I like bundles and seconds as my normal stogies; I can taste the difference of a good cigar because most of the time I'm slumming it with my bargain sticks. This way when I do spend $10 - $15 on a cigar; I can better enjoy how special it is.

Just my opinion; as long as you are enjoying what you are smoking you are doing it right.

Matt

PS, editing because I saw your question - Maduro wrappers are much darker brown and usually aren't associated with mild cigars. To get the maduro color the leaves are ripened more or grown where they get more sun I belive. This is one for the experts though. I like maduro better most often - its also usually sweeter along with the stronger. I suspect you should stick with Conneticut and perhaps Sumatra wrappers from the start if you want to start mild.

cvmfour said:
Thanks again for the help fellas. Got a few questions...

1. What's the difference between maduro and natural cigars?
2. I thought cubans were outlawed in the US, so how can I actually get ahold of them? Or is there an Island south of miami (ISOM)?

May seem dumb...Guess I just gotta catch up.
Maduros are darker and generally more robust in flavor.

Cubans are illegal in the US. You are correct. Stick around here long enough, don't be a big pecker head, and you might be surprised what comes your way ;)

While TB is correct you gotta not be a peckerhead to see what comes yer way, it also helps to have yer name and address in yer profile for the wondrous phenomena known as bombs....you may not be know enough for isom bombs, but some may wanna help you on yer way with domestics as well :)

PaulMac

Welcome to CP

You've already got a pretty good list of suggestions here but here's my two cents:

Romeo y Julieta
AVO
H.Uppmann

Have fun figuring out what you like...of course that will change the longer you smoke :thumbs: