• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A little too excited?

EliWaynne

It was a toss up between what forum to post this. Since, I have another post to make, it is more likened to the humidor forum. So, I'll place this one here since, although border line, it's more about what I did, not the humidor itself.

I noticed that in my wineador that the temperature was off and getting hot. There were some really big differences in humidity in places as well when I tested them.

I realized that I had stuffed way too many cigars into the space, and the air was not circulating properly. Then I realized how many more cigars I was waiting for in the mail. I had really over done things. Got too excited, purchased more than I had space for....

I ended up pulling all the cigars out of the wineador. I used some compressed air, blew any bits out, and started over. I used some 14" spanish cedar blocks about 2" thick, and built up leaving plenty of space for the air to flow. I also didn't shove things all the way into the back to block the cooling fan blowing air. Hopefully this will help for the time being. I lost about 1/2 my space, maybe more.

I ended up bagging the rest of them with a boveda pack, and put them in the coolest part of the house. Hopefully they will be fine until I get to them.

I can't believe that in my excitement I didn't really calculate how much space I had, or was going to need. Am I the only newbie that got in over his head with too many cigars?

Coleman Ice Chest | Coleman 316 Series Hard Coolers https://a.co/d/e8gFQei

This is what I have. I love it. I have about 2 pounds of heartfelt humidity beads and I never have to worry about it. Still fills up quick if you’re not careful. But it’s twice the capacity of a wine cooler for about a third of the cost. They go on sale in the fall.

Coleman Ice Chest | Coleman 316 Series Hard Coolers https://a.co/d/e8gFQei

This is what I have. I love it. I have about 2 pounds of heartfelt humidity beads and I never have to worry about it. Still fills up quick if you’re not careful. But it’s twice the capacity of a wine cooler for about a third of the cost. They go on sale in the fall.
That is spacious. The only thing I wonder about though is how do you keep the inside of it cool enough for the cigars?

I have the wineador because it has active cooling. Not sure how I would keep the cooler at the right temp.

Yes, @EliWaynne. You are the first one to loose his mind and start buying way too much. Way too fast. The rest of us exuded caution and temperance when we first started.
Lol... 🤣🤣 Ok, Ok....

I will definitely be working on my caution, and my exuberance! I think there will still be those days when I fail, but I hope to minimize though days.

That is spacious. The only thing I wonder about though is how do you keep the inside of it cool enough for the cigars?

I have the wineador because it has active cooling. Not sure how I would keep the cooler at the right temp.
I can’t help with that unfortunately. Even with a busted AC my humidor never gets hotter than 70. It did for maybe a day or so when we had a long stretch of hot days. But it doesn’t get nearly as warm where I live as it does for many other people here (including yourself)

What temperature would the coolers surrounding be?

My glass top has never had any mold issues even when we set the AC to 80 degrees when we leave for the day. I wouldn’t worry about it.

What temperature would the coolers surrounding be?

Depends on where in the house I put it. The only logical place to put it in the house, would be in my room (75-85F) during the summer. Or maybe the spare bedroom which would be a little cooler. Probably low 70's F.

Ideally, I would need to keep it my room. I have a few bagged up overflow cigars tucked away in my sister's room right now. Somehow her room is low, low 70's, even during the summer (as long as the AC is running). When winter hits, I'll change rooms, because my rooms gets the coldest at that time.

My glass top has never had any mold issues even when we set the AC to 80 degrees when we leave for the day. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I've read on some other forums, and blogs, that many people don't seem to have problems. They keep the humidity as the right level, and not really worry about the temp (inside) and they say they never had any problems.
One person did say, after 5 years, he got a box and beetles hatched. But that was after 5 years. I would worry more about the mold.

Wouldn't they mold in 80F and the humidity?

I've read on some other forums, and blogs, that many people don't seem to have problems. They keep the humidity as the right level, and not really worry about the temp (inside) and they say they never had any problems.
One person did say, after 5 years, he got a box and beetles hatched. But that was after 5 years. I would worry more about the mold.

Wouldn't they mold in 80F and the humidity?
I haven’t had issues with my humidity kept under 72. Use to keep my Humi at 72 and never had mold no matter the temp and I keep it at 67-69 now no problems no matter the temp

I can't believe that in my excitement I didn't really calculate how much space I had, or was going to need. Am I the only newbie that got in over his head with too many cigars?
They warned me of the same thing with my initial planning of building a large desktop humidor when I first joined, and then again when I started converting a glass door gun cabinet into a humidor. I shrugged and said meh, I’ll never fill that thing. Several boxes and shit tons of 5’ers later…. I’m half full and having to be conscious of not buying too much. It’s not a bad problem to have I suppose.

Sounds like you gave yourself an excuse to buy/build a bigger humidor