• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Myster Cigar Review

Boogs34

Mystery Cigar Review

I was gifted a mystery cigar by a BotL here. He can reveal what it is publicly if he likes, or when I find out what it was, I will post it myself. Having recently arrived from my business trip to Denver and my friends telling me that they will not smoke a cigar with me outside at the bar, I decide I can properly analyze a good cigar right now on a beautiful sunset in late May.

The cigar looks like a corona grande. About 5.5 inches and around a 46 ring gauge although I did not measure. It is light brown, veiny with some marks, and has a feint earthy smell. Considering the source and size, I think it is an ISOM. Before smoking it, I had some cake and piece of chocolate. I pair it with water.

humi2058.jpg

I flip the cap off Wilkey-style, toast it, and begin puffing. It begins with an herbal, almost alcoholic flavor (not the bitter, bad ammonia – the good alcoholic flavor). I notice some coffee undertones. I do not get mouthfuls of smoke, but it’s more than sufficient.

humi2060.jpg

The second third I note some light cocoa and leathery tastes. I say leathery because I can’t really identify what this is, so leathery meaning good yet unidentifiable. The cigar burns evenly throughout with grey ash.

humi2061.jpg

The final third, I begin to notice some spiciness on my tongue but there is no harshness. The grey ash is a little darker, perhaps due to an unexpected ashing. There are more dark chocolate flavors and the herbal/floral tastes of the opening have pretty much disappeared.

humi2062.jpg

The overall smoothness, complexity, and look of the ash makes me continue to think this is Cuban but not a ton of earthy, tobacco flavors. I think it has some age (3-4 years) on it. Being a newbie, I am forced to guess based on what I’ve read really. I eliminate H Upmann Magnum 46 because this was a medium bodied smoke throughout and the flavors don’t match Punch Punch from what I experienced. At first I thought it was a Cohiba Siglo IV but my final guess is a Saint Luis Rey Serie A. However, I'm an idiot and probably way off.

All in all, I very much enjoyed this cigar! Something that can be enjoyed any time, but maybe not after a big steak dinner where you would something stronger.

Great review AJ. I sent several of these cigars out and there is still one outstanding person who hasn't commented yet but I'll go ahead and reveal the smoke. It was a Punch Super Selection 2 from 01. (Discontinued cigar) I have found them more and more enjoyable the longer they age.

I'm including two others reviews that were sent to me about the same cigar which goes to show that we all have different tastes.

Glad you enjoyed it. :thumbs:

I finally had a chance to smoke the mystery cigar last night. Wow, what a great cigar. It burned razor sharp and straight all the way to the nub. For me, it started out with plenty of wood and nut flavors and at the quarter point, it exhibited some sweetness that was akin to the cherry flavors in a fruitcake with a touch of cinnamon and licorice. At the last third of the cigar, I notices some cream and coffee with a bit of leather. The woodiness stayed all the way through and cigar never got bitter or harsh. I smoked this sucker down to the nub. If I had to guess on the cigar, I'd say it was either a Rafael Gonzales coronas extra or JL no.1. The cherry fruitcake and licorice makes me think that it is the RG, but I'm most likely wrong. Also the smoothness and the balance makes me think that it has considerable age, at least from 98.

It looked like it wanted to be Habano...but smell and taste had it as something else. It was a very dry smoke, yet moved the taste buds to salivate for 'something'. That's what was confusing...it felt like something was missing. The burn was fine if not a tad-hot near the last 3rd. It would not be a regular smoke on my list - it seemed too 'grassy'.

It had potential...like it wanted to be a nice Davidoff or very good Avo...maybe it was ill?

Nice review, Boogs. The Punch SS2 is a damn fine cigar that, alas, is all but gone now.

I like the way you described how you assign the "leathery" note. I associate leather with a sort of pleasant, aromatic bitterness that is not woody.

Wilkey

it's funny, after reading a few reviews and then tasting some stogies with actual flavors I always associated that 'buttery' flavor with 'leather.
What would that taste you almost feel in the back of your molars, it;s creamy and somehow satisfying, like leather smells...

Thoughts?
~R