• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A New $30 NC RyJ?

bpj87

Go Bulldogs!
From the Stogie Guys...

"First stop was the giant Altadis section where Janelle Rosenfeld introduced us to to Altadis’ upcoming releases. On the super premium end is the new Romeo y Julieta Museum Edition, a limited release (retailing for $30 per cigar) that comes in a humidor box with a specially-commissioned painting by the 3D artist Charles Fazzio..."

Wow... Move over Padron 30th and Opus A. :sign:

All I can say is "Eff that!"

2.5 of those will get me a box of Padron 2K.

[rant on]
Why don't they just concentrate on making cigars that taste good, draw well, and don't suck in all the ways that count?!
[rant off]

Wilkey

[rant on]
Why don't they just concentrate on making cigars that taste good, draw well, and don't suck in all the ways that count?!
[rant off]

Wilkey

I second that....2000 maduro's :love:

I have absolutely no problem putting out $30 for a cigar. I just have to be convinced it's worth it, and with RyJ (NC's at least) I won't be convinced.

When the Padron 80th came out, I had trouble (initially) believing it would be worth the cash, then the guy who ran the B&M I go to told me about it and said it's worth it so I gave it a try. Shortly after that I started looking for a good box price online (I know a salesperson is the last person to go to to find out if an expensive cigar is worth it, but I trust him, he has recommended cigars of all price ranges and has never steered me wrong.)

I just am not a big fan of NC RyJ's. I have had one I enjoyed though, it was a regular release tubo that had some age on it. After being laid down for awhile it was gifted to me and turned into a decent cigar for the price, problem is for the price I would expect it to be better without aging.

[rant on]
[rant off]

Wilkey

And x3 on everything Wilkey said.

This is not specific to this particular cigar, as no one seems to have reviewed or tasted it yet, but I have found that, in general, NC marcas with a Cuban marca's name rarely make smokes with a good quality to price ratio. The average Joe who smokes an occasional cigar knows that Monte, Cohiba, and RyJ are the best, and through their perceieved association with the Cuban marcas, these brands can charge more for the same quality of smoke than NC brands with names unique to the NC market. Thus, it's hard not to assume that any NC RyJ, Monte, or Cohiba (etc.) release will probably not be worth the money, given all that Padron, AF, Tat, etc have to offer.

This is not specific to this particular cigar, as no one seems to have reviewed or tasted it yet, but I have found that, in general, NC marcas with a Cuban marca's name rarely make smokes with a good quality to price ratio. The average Joe who smokes an occasional cigar knows that Monte, Cohiba, and RyJ are the best, and through their perceieved association with the Cuban marcas, these brands can charge more for the same quality of smoke than NC brands with names unique to the NC market. Thus, it's hard not to assume that any NC RyJ, Monte, or Cohiba (etc.) release will probably not be worth the money, given all that Padron, AF, Tat, etc have to offer.
An excellent and astute analysis.

The only thing I have to add is that the original lines produced by the non-Cuban holders of these brand trademarks contain blends that were developed for the tastes of 20 or even 30+ years past. Presumably there are still a significant number of smokers who appreciate these blends and buy them. However, this also explains the veritable explosion in brand extensions. Take for example all the different lines under the Montecristo brand. I've lost count but there are easily a half dozen launched in the last decade. This, to me, is evidence that they are trying to adapt to contemporary tastes. I suspect though, that having such blend momentum behind them, it is truly difficult for them to really get out of the box as entirely new brands are able to do. Tatuaje, for example, can start out brand spanking new making the best of the best tobacco with no smokers of "the old blend" to piss off.

I suppose that if the killer profile eludes them, then fancy marketing might be seen as a way to capture that high-spending status conscious smoker. Unfortunately, I don't think that profile accurately characterizes the discriminating smokers in the market and that includes the fine folks of CigarPass.

Wilkey

I cant remember the last time I bought a Altadis product...for $30 bucks it better come with a happy ending

They are smoking something other than tobacco to think they could move a $30 NC RyJ

I had the exact same thought! Given the fact that they manage to stay afloat with such lackluster offerings, Altadis must have some pretty amazing marketers. This time I think they've pushed their luck a little too far. Right now, the market is saturated with big $ smokes. My local B+M has a few boxes of year old ESG's, Padron 80th's, even Stamford 90th ani's collecting dust. What makes Altadis think they can move their high end stuff when the aforementioned smokes languish.

I guess sales on the current special edition went well? I did not buy one, and same goes for this new one.

Due to past history, I have no reason to even give this cigar a chance.

Altadis should do it's homework, and check it's competitors flops... in a word, Stradivarius.

I actually enjoy the NC RyJ Bully and the Cetro Dlx #4 once they've sat in the humi for awhile. They aren't powerhouses and they're not the fullest flavored cigars out there, but I've never had one that was poorly constructed and I enjoy the subtle floral notes I get from them. They aren't a favorite, but I don't think they are bad cigars.

I would never pay $30 for anything closely related to them, however.

I actually enjoy the NC RyJ Bully and the Cetro Dlx #4 once they've sat in the humi for awhile. They aren't powerhouses and they're not the fullest flavored cigars out there, but I've never had one that was poorly constructed and I enjoy the subtle floral notes I get from them. They aren't a favorite, but I don't think they are bad cigars.

x2. I actually enjoy the Bully from time to time, but that's really about it from the entire NC RyJ line. Even for the price, there are just too many other good smokes out there.

I'm really trying hard to justify either $30 a stick for some Padron 80th Anniversaries or a box of 1926 Serie #2s or #9s for the most special occasion I can think of-- my baby daughter's arrival in September. I LOVE Padrons and can think of no better cigar to commemorate this occasion with... there's no way in hell I'd pay that kind of money for an Altadis product which I only think is okay.

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again. The ONLY RyJ NC worth touching, at all, for ANY reason, is the Habana Reserve. Yet it doesnt cost $30, but more like $4. I was floored that it actually didnt taste like a warm sock, like other RyJ stuff....IMHO.

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again. The ONLY RyJ NC worth touching, at all, for ANY reason, is the Habana Reserve. Yet it doesnt cost $30, but more like $4. I was floored that it actually didnt taste like a warm sock, like other RyJ stuff....IMHO.

To me they just have no taste. I had tried one months ago and it sucked. I have another 2 in my humidor, from HERF's that I'm afraid to light. Maybe one day when I'm out of cigars I'll light it up. Or give it to a non-cigar smoker.

To me they just have no taste. I had tried one months ago and it sucked. I have another 2 in my humidor, from HERF's that I'm afraid to light. Maybe one day when I'm out of cigars I'll light it up. Or give it to a non-cigar smoker.

I have the exact opposite experience. Its only marginally better, though, than other RyJ products. Its not a "fantastic" cigar by any means, but it is pretty good, IMO. Give another one a try soon, maybe it will be better this time around.