• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Newbie's Take

SamGuss

Well, I figured since this is/will be becoming a favorite topic and posting of mine I figured instead of cluttering up the entire thread room with various cigars I would just go with one thread and include new cigars as I try them.

Today's pick is the Players Club, a churchill or lonesdale I believe, 7 inches in length 40 something gauge (don't have my dossier in front of me so going by memory). First comment to say is wow what a long smoke. An hour and half later I was still puffing on it.

The beginning of the cigar in a word sucked. I am finding that I am not big on a woodsie dry tasting cigar and the first few totes on this was just that, dry, raspy and woodsie tasting.

I am glad I stuck it out though over those first few minutes, because the cigar became way noticably better, with hints of floral and herb taste (again all this to my untrained palette) and if possible was more "moist" after the first few drags (course that could of been my slobber).

Not that bad of a cigar but at the $7 price I paid for it I think I can find a better smoke for that price. The question is though would it last that long?

Sam

Padron Magnum Maduro...9" and about that price. :thumbs: :love:

Yep, what Horse said. I personally don't like cigars that last longer than some of my relationships, but that is one outstanding cigar at an extremely reasonable price. But be prepared for a nasty case of "maduro-mouth" afterwards. Not only does it take a long time to smoke, it stays with you for a day or two.

*chuckles* that was one thing I left unsaid in my review was that my media room now has to be fumigated with the smell in there, and I walked in to work today still smelling the Players Club LOL (yes it is disappainting folks and I DID shower!).

Sam

Are your showering habits in question?

Dave :sign:

Horse...ya beat me to it! I was going to say the Padron Magnum Maduro. I love the taste of that bad boy. I take one to Florida with me when I go and enjoy the sunset with it. You definately have to have the time to commit or you wind up throwing away a great cigar. (throwing away a great cigar....I believe that is a mortal sin!!!)

SKYDIVNEKD :sign:

Personally I really like the players club. I smoke those when Im in the mood for a stronger smoke.(relative to the cream puffs I usually smoke, heheh)

Padron Magnum Maduros=Yummy!!!!

Just picked up a box at my local shop yesterday. This is one cigar that always burns straight as a razor and is one of the most flavorful maduros you can buy at a reasonable cost. If you have the time, smoke of these cigars, you won't be disappointed. :thumbs:

I've been meaning to check out the Padron MM, now I will. Before I do any opinions how it ranks in tasted against Onyx Res, Perdomo2 maddies, etc.

Never had a Pedron...

That I didn't NUBB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta try one o' dem :D

The Onyx Reserve happens to be one of my favorite cigars at the moment (matter of fact I just ordered my first box and it was the Onyx Reserve #4).

So how do they compare with the Punch MM... Well I personally like different cigar tastes so I have never really compared them to each other yet, other than looking in my humi and deciding which one I want that night LOL.

I would say this though, the Punch MM is one I would go with over the Onyx if I wanted a powerhouse smoke or smoking outside in the sun. Since most of the time I smoke inside the media room while listening to music, reading, relaxing, etc. the Onyx would be my choice over the Punch.

Right now I have neither in my humi (wait I take that back I just got an aged Onyx in my humi I might be smoking tonight) but as I stock these along with CAO brands (both anniversaries and Brazillas) are so far the direction I am leaning (along with other smokes as well LOL).

*goes back to day dreaming of having several sticks of several brands in his humi*

Hope that answered your question and gave you something to go on :)

Sam

Today's review, my first cuban cigar...

OMG!!!! What a taste! Ok, let me spit out some details, this particular stick was part of a trade I recently took part in on another site, and was a 1998 Hoya Depute (some other number was included but don't have it memorized by along shot LOL). The cigar was 5 1/2 inches with a 38 ring gauge, rich brown with a few very small green "splotches".

The peppery and spicy flavor of this cigar was simply amazing, and my upper lip became tingly as I smoked it. What amazed me most was that cigars usually mellow me out, but this one had the opposite affect, it charged me up. I am still salivating over the full flavor this cigar had and all I can say is WOW. Whenever I get the chance to get some more of these I am though would probably end up as the occassional cigar. Only because I would hate to get addicted to these and run out of places or ways to get em!

Scored a 9-10 in my book, which granted like my other reviews I am posting is based off my inexpereinced palette and lingo. But then again it's only now that counts ;)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Sam

Another great review. And thank you for this thread, I will come here often for your "Grass Roots Newbie Reviews".

I love this stuff :D

Thanks Puro :D Iappreciate the compliment and glad to see people enjoying my newbie reviews.

Today's selection was the CAO Anniversary Extreme. Being a fan so far of CAO and seeing a recomendation on another thread, I decided to try one last night. The bad part was that about half way through it the cigar became plugged. Up until that point however, it did not let me down. Light herbal and light bitter chocalate tastes, this cigar was not as strong as the Brazilla line, but stronger than the cameron line. If the cigar gods look upon me favorably, I can see myself with a stock of everything CAO has to offer. It is simply in my book, becoming the "go-to" cigar both at the cigar shop and the humi. This rated a solid 8 in my book.

The other cigar I had last night was a Partagas Black Label Robusto. Even tastes of cocoa and herb from start to finish. What intrigued me though was eating some chocolate sweets while smoking this cigar. The two tastes complimented each other well and made for a very pleasant smoking experience, that I would definately go for again. This cigar rated 7-8 in my book. As a sidebar, my other half oftens comes with me to select a cigar or two when I am browsing and was truly who got me into smoking cigars (she started me off with an Opus X). This particular cigar was one of her selections.

That's it for today, check back tomorrow for the next review!

Sam

The Sun Grown Fuente Belicio... an incredible cigar, full of flavor, coffee bean, nuts, a little spice and full bodied. Had this one last night while eating a dinner out with a fellow cigar smoker in the pation portion of a cigar friendly resteraunt. Nice, warm (but too hot) evening, a full stomach and this cigar.

Momenets like these is what has allured me into the cigar world LOL. Was a fantastic cigar and highly recommend. I will definately be trying to get my hands on some more of these. MSRP is a little over $4 and I have seen em on Wades for just a tad over that. Great deal.

Sam

McP....No Sarcasm at all in my statement. I really do like to see true reviews that have nothing to do with promoting a brand. These "Samviews" are real, and I enjoy reading them.

Sam....Keep it up man, good reviews again!!! :D

Well now I've gone and done it. Last night of the coule cigars I had, I started off with the Hemingway Short Story.

Creamy and smooth, with light touches of herbs, coffee and a light barely noticable sweetness in the aftertaste. Was a superb smoke that lasted me about 45 minutes and was simply a flavorable cigar from start to finish.

The real pleasure was how even the tastes of this cigar stayed from start to finish in a medium to heavy body. The smoke smelled fragrant with touches sweet cream and light tobacco. Smoked very evenly with no re-lighting. I literally smoked this down to the nub and had I had one of those old 60's/70's roach clip would of probably used it for a last puff or two.

A superb cigar that rated 9-10 in my book and my new mission is to find more of these delightful smokes. With the higher premium cigars I have had if money and availability was no object I would have every other day or so, but not everyday... the Hemingway SS though provided the same thing would be my daily cigar in a heart beat.

Til later,

Sam