• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Newbie's Take

Well folks, my string of great cigars came to a brutal end last night when I lit up a Pedermo #2. The harsh, ugly, sour and just plain nasty taste almost had me retching. I stuck it out for a handful of puffs but couldn't get past the taste and so let it burn out in the ashtray and called it a no-go.

The good news was my next cigar, an Olivia Sungrown was an excellent cigar and also covered by another reviewer ;) so until next time,

Sam

I agree with you Sam, SS is a fine smoke, great review btw. Sorry about the Perdomo tho, it really sux to light up what looks and smells like a great smoke, one that comes from a good name brand and have it turn on you like that. Who knows, maybe with more age they would be a good cigar. It has been said the Nick has a habit of rushing them to market, so to speak, rather than letting them age a bit.

PuroBrat said:
I agree with you Sam, SS is a fine smoke, great review btw. Sorry about the Perdomo tho, it really sux to light up what looks and smells like a great smoke, one that comes from a good name brand and have it turn on you like that. Who knows, maybe with more age they would be a good cigar. It has been said the Nick has a habit of rushing them to market, so to speak, rather than letting them age a bit.
No big deal, it is the rare fine cigar that I try that I just don't like. So bound to happen now and again. Down the road I will undoubtly come across another one and will try again just to be on the safe side that I didn't just get a lousy stick.

Now to find me some more of those Short Story's and other Hemi's hehehe

Sam

Funny thing, my favorite shop here in Dallas gets the SSs in evry now and then, and they mark em at $4 and change which I think is MSRP. But then they also mark the Opus X at MSRP when they have them. That is one reason I shop there. The only problem is, they sell out too fast :(

FT
But be prepared for a nasty case of "maduro-mouth" afterwards. Not only does it take a long time to smoke, it stays with you for a day or two.

Listerine brother, and maybe an Altoid.

bwaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Puro, next time those Hemi's and Opus hit on the shelves let me know and I will send you some cash if you would be willing to pick me up some at MSRP :)

Sam

I'm not sure Listerine will touch maduro mouth at it's worst. Altoids at the rate of 4/hour for 2 days may get you there. Definately don't smoke one before going to the dentist...not if you like your hygenist. :lookup:

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been very fortunate to get some great cigars given to me to try and buying some others at the local shop. This weekend was a wonderful weekend of cigars and the one I chose to review was from last night... The A. Fuente Hemingway Work of Art.

This cigar was pure heaven, relaxing and enjoyable with an even smoke from start to finish. Light sweet spices with a creamy aftertaste, this cigar was full of flavor that I simply can't describe in justice. A medium body flavor and good smoke, this cigar smoked and tased evenly, with great ash. The affect from smoking this cigar like the short story and classic I have had, was ephoric (spelling?) and relaxing. Had some Mocha flavored cappacino (man my spelling sucks today) with this cigar while sitting back listening to some tunes. Overall not only a great cigar but a great experience. Rated a 9-10 in my book and was put on the "must get more" list.

Sam

Another cigar I had this weeken, which I decided to review was a domestic Montecristo #2. I smoked this one on Saturday afternoon while meeting with another cigar smoker while chatting and munching on some appetizers.

Creamy smooth and light to medium body, this cigar smoked evenly and was consistent throughout the smoke. Tastes of light coffee, cream and herbs the cigar was simply a well made and enjoyable smoke. Something about this cigar screams to be smoked during a lazy sunny afternoon (in air condition of course LOL) and delivered a nice smoke during a light meal of appetizers. Rated an 8 in my book.

Sam

The Cuesta Rey Vintage churchill or lonesdale... 7" x 44 of good looking and smell good cigar. This particular cigar was a gift from someone on another site who was celebrating his grand daughters birth and sent several out to several folks.

This cigar was a long, enjoyable smoke with tints of almonds and nutmeg (again to my untrained palette). With a light and easy draw I had to pace myself so the smoke didn't get too hot and managed to smoke it down pretty good but in the end I left a little more than I normally would have due to the smoke getting to hot (my bad). This cigar was light to medium body and stayed even on the tastes throughout the entire length. Rated a 7 in my book.

In case he is on these boards as well - congrats again Doc.

Sam

Last nights smokes were definately memorable. On average I smoke 1.5 cigars a night (2 cigars one night, 1 cigar the next and so on). Lately though my average is going up to 2. Well last night was a primo cigar night. After a rough day I wanted something memorable and enjoyable and so I first decided on the Padron Anniversary Maduro that has been sitting in my humi.

Oh my, the taste of unsweet chocolate, nuts and a hint of spice hit me right off the bat and sent me sliding downwards into one of the most laid back and restful smokes I have enjoyed in awhile. Heavy smoke, full body taste (but not overpowering) was nearly edible. The only drawback to this cigar and was easy to overlook when compared to the awesome tastses was the draw. Hard and tight, it took some doing to get it lit in the first place and had to relight about twice during the first half of the cigar. The last half finished beautifully though. Because of the hard draw I rated this cigar an 8 but if I was just going on taste alone an easy 10.

Sam

The other cigar I had last night was the perfect late evening cigar to sit back and relax to. Matter of fact that's all I did with this cigar - stretch out on the couch, listen to music and enjoy this cigar.

The cigar in question here was the Ashton Cabinet VSG "Illusion". On another thread in this section someone did a great review on this particular cigar. Upon reading it though I found some differences which I suspect is just further proof of my inexperienced palette. So my disclaimer again: these reviews based off a new cigar smoker learning how to appreciate a fine cigar.

From other reviews I see that many experience small peppery tastes and/or leather. I found neither with my experience, instead I tasted thick bitter chocalate, spices and coffee. Not a harsh smoke but not sweet either. Thick and maliable it was a strong and full body cigar that I enjoyed for an hour and a half. This is where our reviews do match - it was a strong and very flavorable cigar and an exceptional beauty to look at.

This rated a straight up 10 in my book.

Sam

Well folks I went and did it this last night and got myself a holy grail smoke (at least at my level for now lol). Today's review: the Don Carlos #2.

This cigar was full body and fairly strong with a very light peppery taste on the draw. After this though the complex flavors took over and to the best of my ability I still could not precisesly name all the flavors. Predominantly I tasted light spices and leather with a tint of herbs. This smoke affected me in the typical relaxing sensation but went even further and put me into a nice mental state where nothing much else mattered. Ever have one of those cigars that was so pleasant it became the focus of your life while you smoked it? This was one of those.

The only drawback and figure it was just an individual cigar thing was that it burned fast on one side of the cigar, so didn't last as long as normally would have and heated the cigar at the end of the stick. Aside from that though this cigar on taste alone scored 9-10 in my book.

The question now is how the hell am I going to afford more of these??? :(

Sam

The AF Don Carlos is my favorite nonisom out there. Never had a problem with the burn though. Did you let it rest after you got it or did you light up right away? I wish these cigars didnt cost so much is my only problem :sneaky:

It was gifted to me about a week ago and I'm not sure how long it had been in their humi before passing to me. The burn wasn't "that" bad, just shortened the smoke and being the greedy guy I am who smokes it down to his fingers on a great cigar had to let it go too soon LOL.

I agree with the price. It's one of those cigars (for me at least) would like to have a cigar buddy to go in halfs on a box.

Sam

The cheapest I've seen them on the web is $11. I can't find them in my area at all.

I have one and I'm going to smoke it this weekend, curiosity is killing me now!!

Nice reviews by the way!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Leebo8-9-8 said:
I have one and I'm going to smoke it this weekend, curiosity is killing me now!!
I'd hurry son, after all you might not be here come next week and it would be a shame to not have tried it. :p

Stay tuned for tomorrow's report... Just a teaser for now, it will be on a 1996 Sancho Panza (bonafide cuban) and has rated the highest of any cigar I have had yet (including Opus X, Hemingways, other Cubans, etc.).

See ya'll tomorrow and PLEASE if you have a review to share here or a review of a cigar that I have done but a different experience please feel free to post it here. While I am having fun doing these reviews and appreciate the growing number of readers I am here more to learn and experience than write these things ;) So if you have something to add to this thread please do!

Sam

A meet with a new friend and you know how it goes, you pass along a couple cigars and smoke a cigar or two while getting to know each other and discuss the passion for the leaf. This meeting was with someone I had previous knowledge had expensive and good taste. Rumaging through my humi with the few cuban and domestic premiums I decide on 2 of my best, stick em into a leather 2 finger case, grab myself a premium stick to smoke and I'm ready.

Or was I? One of the cigars this new friend passed back was a cuban, a 1996 Sancho Panza. A small stick measuring 4 3/8" x 40 I sniffed at it and seld h havyroof pepper and spices. I took it home that night and for about a week it sat in my humidor until last night before dinner I wanted a quick smoke and thus brought it out for lighting.

Now I don't have much experiece with cubans, matter of fact only about 3 cigars worth so far and a couple laying in wait in my humidor. So it is still with awe as I prepare to smoke one of these. I use a gullitine blade to cut the cigar and put the torch to it, carefully blowing out the first couple of puffs before setting it fully ablaze and sitting back to enjoy this cigar.

Initially as you draw the smoke the strong taste of pepper hits your tongue and then fades to spice and light pepper. As you hold it in your mouth and exhale an underlying sweetness - not strong though, just enough to take away that edge of pepper away. Bliss awaits as you watch the smoke drift around you and that good feeling surrounds you.

The cigar lasted about 45 minutes and was hard not to drawt fs, peially since this baby after the first half did burn hot. What a ride though. Its days like this that think "it can't get any better than this", a fact proven wrong time after time. So here's my toast after this particular cigar: may cigar tasting like this never change.

Oh and the rating? As previously discussed I rate cigars on a 1 - 10 ratio. This one has rated my first:

10+ :love:

Sam

Back