• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A newby and ISOM

NiteSeer

Sometime before Christmas I purchased some ISOMs, and since then after studying what what was good and what was hot, I purchased a variety of sticks. I normally limit myself to one smoke per week and this week I tried a Bolivar Gold Medal. Hmmmm, tasty, in fact, it was almost sweet. ! The smoke was mild and the draw was just about right. The next 4 sticks will have time to mature at a humidity level of 65. Now what to try next? Maybe a Monte No. 2? I'll have to study my inventory. Have a good day all.

For my taste there is simply nothing as good as a Montecristo from the Island. Those cigars are ALL classics. I think the ISOMs are really well defined by brand. Bolivar is the butt kicker, Montecristos are sweet, etc. Montes are always going to get my vote but Bolivars certainly have there place in time.

A Gold Medal that's "mild"? They are tasty, but I've not had one that was mild...

I'd love to hear how the Monte #2 smokes ;)

BGM are infact a bit subdued as compared to their regular lines, but in no way mild. I find their flavour creamier than the normal Bolivar lines, but still very flavourful, just not as spicy. Try a Bolivar Coronas Extra next time and you'll see what I mean. That is by far my favourite Bolivar.

As far as what to try next, if you like the Bolivar profile, then the only natural choices I can think of are Partagas and Punch.

No, I've smoked cigars for sometime and this was an original.

An original BGM? This level of confidence without experience (A newby and ISOM) has been recently discussed in another thread.

Actually, I am a newbie to this forum but I have had some experience smoking cigars and If I told you all where I got them They would kick me off the forum, heheheh.

By original, I'm guessing you mean authentic, and not the ones that were discontinued circa 1992, yes?

While not as wild and wooly as the CEs and some other Bolivar vitolas, some of the few new Gold Medals I've smoked have been respectably stout, and others have been muddled, boring and flat. Hopefully the flatness will resolve with time.

As to Montes...different strokes for different folks. Once in a long while, I'll be in the mood for their profile. But not often. While I don't generally like to generalize (nyuk nyuk), If pressed to list favorite brands, off the top of my head there are at least ten marcas I prefer.

God bless variety! :)

I thought taste was subjective? If Niteseer says it was mild to him then why all the fuss and talking about fakes? Can't a brother just enjoy a cigar without all of the innuendos? :cool:

I thought taste was subjective? If Niteseer says it was mild to him then why all the fuss and talking about fakes? Can't a brother just enjoy a cigar without all of the innuendos? :cool:
Agreed. And, really, I couldn't care less if it were a fake or genuine BGM. The point of the original post seemed to me to be more about one's enjoyment of their day and cigar experience rather than a detailed analysis of the BGM's (perceived) flavor profile. As always, to each our own. That certainly applies to individual taste perceptions.

Taste may be subjective, but most people agree that habanero peppers are hot and Hershey bar's are choclatey.

edit for spelling

No doubt that taste is subjective but more so in the flavor and nuances IMO, not so in whether a stick is mild or full bodied.

Several people have simply stated that the BGM is not a mild smoke and I agree, it is not a mild smoke.

Innuendos, no!...observation and comment, yes... that's what a forum is all about ;)

Brian

Yes, beauty is in the eys of the beholder. PM me if you would like to take this discussion further.