• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A priceless cigar

KusoJijii

in your humidor
Reaction score
So my father retired in December of '07 from working at Xerox for the past 40 years. He worked on optics in Viet Nam from 68-69 and when he got home started with Xerox. The company had a party for him in late January of this year and one of his long time buddies comes up to him and gives him a cigar.

A month and a half later, for my birthday, my father gives me the cigar. It was a cigar he had passed out to his buddies on the day of my birth, his buddy had saved it and gave it back to him at his retirement party, now 35 Years later it finds its way back to me. Pretty cool.

1000363oh2.jpg

What a great story! Longtime friends like his buddy are rare indeed. This is truly a priceless cigar.

Wilkey

What an awesome story! I for one would never in a million years light that cigar, but pass it on to my own...

Wow! That is a great story. I handed out cigars when my sone was born 5 years ago. A little differant perspective, but I never considered saving any. Now I wish I would have. If we are blessed with another child, I'm saving some! For his or her graduation, or whatever. Thanks for sharing.

What an awesome story! I for one would never in a million years light that cigar, but pass it on to my own...
I'm with you on this one Greg, that is way too valuable to smoke in my opinion. Every time you look at it, that cigar will remind you of your Dad, his friend, and this story. Once smoked, it's gone forever. I read your little story and I got a chill because it reminds me of something I have in my humidor.

When my cigar mentor, my Uncle Nick, passed away, my Aunt gave me his last box of cigars. He was in failing health for a few years and smoked most of what he had and stopped buying them at 84. My cousin Frank, their only son, has 4 children...and at each of their weddings, I brought a few of my Uncle's last cigars for us to light up and remember him by. The look on his Grandson's faces the first time I did this was priceless...then it became a tradition and now they are all married with kids of their own. I offered the rest to the boys but they said to keep them because I held their Grandfather's memory in that way, so I have the last few that will never be smoked, only to remember my favorite Uncle by.

KusoJijii...hang onto it dearly, that way the memory will last forever.

wasn't planning on smoking it :D

thanks for the replies.

ironpeddler, cool story, special moments like that just add that much more to the enjoyment of cigar smoking.

Very cool!

Maybe smoke it when your son is born, or with your dad on a special day.

Very nice story! Definitely save it, don't smoke it. It's much more special as a memento. When my oldest son was born 34 years ago this Monday, I was not into cigars so passed out "It's A Boy" rolls of mints. I saved one and still take it out of my desk every now and then for a smile. It's amazing the flood of memories that a simple object such as that can bring back.

That's like a once in a lifetime happening KusoJijii, brought tears to my eyes; great story, thanks for sharing.

Brian

Cool history on the cigar. As Greg said and many others, I wouldn't torch it up for the world. It seems to be a piece of the family that could be past on from generation to generation. Great score brother!!

Great storys gents! Thanks for sharing and reminding us some memories and bonds last a lifetime!!!

Agree with all the others...terrific story and it will make a nice permanent addition to your humidor and every time you open it you'll think of your dad.

Just an outstanding story from all three facets, you, your dad, your dad's good friend. Don't smoke it.

That was a great gift to you. But as a dad, let me tell you, your dad >> really << enjoyed the giving of it to you. You guys are both lucky! Enjoy

What a great story. Cause of this, I plan to save some cigars too.
Thanks for the great read and the idea. My kids thank you, ahead of time.