• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A question for the smoking golfers out there

pulse746

Hey guys,

What is your preferred cigar when playing a round of golf ? I love a cigar that I don't need to really think deeply about when focusing on my golf game. Ill always bring an avo or griffins churchill to the course with me. Mellow and sweet.

Whatever you can afford. I usually go with Padron 3000's or Punch Pitas. This is a smoke that is going to get beat up a bit during your round. Those clips are stupid. I normally just lay my cigar across a clubs golf grip after my club selection. I always take at least two or more when walking to my ball to get yardage and make my assessment.

I always smoke a DC so when I lay it on the tee box in the direction I wish the ball to go I can see it. Lol. I normally have mid-priced cigars cause many times they get wrecked or lost or forgotten and being outside and in a cart the wind seems to smoke as much of a cigar than I get to.

saw title had my hopes up.......
paulina-gretzky-golf-digest-photoshoot-590x900.jpg

A few of my cigar smoking buddies swear by Cuban Sandwich style cigars. They say that they stay lit better. A lot smoke those Fuente jobs whose name eludes me at the moment.

golfgar said:
Curly heads?
Yes! I thought pigtail head or something. Also I just thought of Brevas or something like that but, I'm pretty sure you're correct. It might be both with one being a tad nicer than the other or different qty per box. Been on my back, out of commision, for a few weeks. The gray matter is a bit foggy.

I smoke what ever I feel like. Sometimes the cigar is the only thing to look forward to.

I try to bring something big enough to last nine holes and doesn't make me cry when I drop it or forget it on the tee box. 

Partagas DeLuxe....tubo is easy to throw in the bag, pretty cheap, solid flavor, burn has always held up great outdoors.

Inexpensive double coronas mostly. I throw them on the grass during shots. Fuente Royal Salute, Excalibur No. 1, etc.

I just grab a few and go. I do try to stick with broadleaf though. MCW is the best golf cigar ever made.

Double Chateau Fuente SG for me. The SG wrapper holds up to the varying weather conditions, and it's a 9-hole cigar for me. Two in my bag, and I'm good to go.

And as a PSA - NEVER put your cigar on the ground. Between herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers and such, there is nothing good that can come out of placing your cigar on the ground. I know of one local public course that would use a byproduct of the city's sewage treatment plant as a fertilizer. I'd imagine it would make your cigar taste like crap.  :rolleyes:

Get a CigarMinder clip for $10 - clip to the cart (if you ride) or your bag (if you walk).

beparrish said:
I know of one local public course that would use a byproduct of the city's sewage treatment plant as a fertilizer. I'd imagine it would make your cigar taste like crap.
The fertilizer you speak of would be Milorganite. I certainly wouldn't recommend ingesting the stuff. Honestly though...it wouldn't harm you near as much as the bird crap that's all over the course. You won't get something like histoplasmosis from Milorganite, but the same cannot be said for bird/goose droppings.

Also, unless a pesticide was applied minutes before you enter the area (which it shouldn't have been), there's not much too worry about. The life of most of these chemical compounds is very short. They start breaking down the minute they hit the plant/soil usually.

I'm more concerned about how the tobacco was treated (before it was lit on fire and smoked) than worrying about a golf course. You're at more risk inhaling the fumes while filling up your car/truck than anything you'll be exposed to in the turf world. The importance of drainage on a golf course is huge. Aquatic life is extremely sensitive. The average Americans laundry and dish soap is more harmful than the applications made on the course. The industry will always get the bad wrap though... Because they have the scary equipment, and its not making food.

Full disclosure... I've got a turf degree, golf course work history, and I'm an organic gardener. I don't believe in using chemicals if they're not necessary. The plants that don't do well in my garden still make great compost. The plants that don't do well on the golf course, cost people jobs.

My wife is an optometrist. You would be amazed at the number of things sprayed on a golf course to control disease pressure that are applied directly to the eye at much higher concentrations. The number one problem on high maintenance turf is fungal disease. Let's just say, if you play golf in your bare feet, you might get rid of that athletes foot. Problem is, you'd have to be out all summer and get sprayed directly every week to ever achieve the control you can get in a pin head sized application of lamisil.

Miraculously, though perhaps unfortunately, I'm still on this side of the rough despite dropping many sticks on it over the years. If I grow another arm or a set of dragonfly wings, I'll let everyone know.

garrettbuckeye said:

I know of one local public course that would use a byproduct of the city's sewage treatment plant as a fertilizer. I'd imagine it would make your cigar taste like crap.
The fertilizer you speak of would be Milorganite. I certainly wouldn't recommend ingesting the stuff. Honestly though...it wouldn't harm you near as much as the bird crap that's all over the course. You won't get something like histoplasmosis from Milorganite, but the same cannot be said for bird/goose droppings.

Also, unless a pesticide was applied minutes before you enter the area (which it shouldn't have been), there's not much too worry about. The life of most of these chemical compounds is very short. They start breaking down the minute they hit the plant/soil usually.

I'm more concerned about how the tobacco was treated (before it was lit on fire and smoked) than worrying about a golf course. You're at more risk inhaling the fumes while filling up your car/truck than anything you'll be exposed to in the turf world. The importance of drainage on a golf course is huge. Aquatic life is extremely sensitive. The average Americans laundry and dish soap is more harmful than the applications made on the course. The industry will always get the bad wrap though... Because they have the scary equipment, and its not making food.

Full disclosure... I've got a turf degree, golf course work history, and I'm an organic gardener. I don't believe in using chemicals if they're not necessary. The plants that don't do well in my garden still make great compost. The plants that don't do well on the golf course, cost people jobs.

My wife is an optometrist. You would be amazed at the number of things sprayed on a golf course to control disease pressure that are applied directly to the eye at much higher concentrations. The number one problem on high maintenance turf is fungal disease. Let's just say, if you play golf in your bare feet, you might get rid of that athletes foot. Problem is, you'd have to be out all summer and get sprayed directly every week to ever achieve the control you can get in a pin head sized application of lamisil.

I've heard that one of the worst things to do is chew on the tee.  You'll be eating pesticides and fertilizer that aren't directly exposed to sunlight, which will prolong the half-life.  Also, half the tees are probably made in china...and you don't know what kind of chemicals they use on this stuff.  I believe a couple of professional golfers that had that habit developed tongue cancer because of it.  It's been a hard habit to break.

I'll usually grab a couple of Padron 2000's with me. But I think I want to try and bring some L'Atelier 52's, I think they'll hold up well during golf and I've really been liking them for the past 2 years.

thinde said:
I try to bring something big enough to last nine holes and doesn't make me cry when I drop it or forget it on the tee box. 
Agreed. AF cañone

I tend to lean to something mild with a Connecticut wrapper while playing a round. Out in the sun, bouncing around on the cart I'm not looking for a light enjoyable smoke, not a sit down with a drink kind of stick.