• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Reminder....

Wow. Didn't mean for this to cause such a ruckus. It was just a friendly reminder people - nothing more.

:blush:

Ok if you are a citizen of another country, with a green card, I would imagine that while on U.S. soil you're prohibited from having Cuban items, but when out of country, since you don't have the rights of a US citizen, I think it's unreasonable to assume you are restricted as same.

I think when you are in any country other than the US, you have to follow the rules of a) the host country and b) the country where your passport was issued.

So I imagine for kro's hypothetical case, he's free to smoke Cubans out of country until he becomes a US citizen.

mrjinglesusa said:
Wow. Didn't mean for this to cause such a ruckus. It was just a friendly reminder people - nothing more.

:blush:
[snapback]213572[/snapback]​

Troublemaker!

:D

Lumberg said:
Ok if you are a citizen of another country, with a green card, I would imagine that while on U.S. soil you're prohibited from having Cuban items, but when out of country, since you don't have the rights of a US citizen, I think it's unreasonable to assume you are restricted as same.

I think when you are in any country other than the US, you have to follow the rules of a) the host country and b) the country where your passport was issued.

So I imagine for kro's hypothetical case, he's free to smoke Cubans out of country until he becomes a US citizen.
[snapback]213573[/snapback]​

That all depends on the type of visa or if you are seeking citizenship to the US or not. The restrictions on visa's have been increased since 9-11. I'd have to do some more research to see what is what, but I think you would be partially correct, depending on the individual situation.

Reading the Trade with the Enemy act, I believe green card holders are not exempt. If you read the act it explicitly states Permanent Resident Aliens (these are green card holders). When you get your green card you basically become a second class citizen, all the obligations of citizenship but without some of the perks. But, hey the US is allowing you to live and work here forever, (virtually).

Interesting fact, permanent resident aliens are supposed to register for the selective service. Yes, green carders can be drafted, yet cannot vote, does this sound fair? No, but this is one of those trade offs you have to do to get it, so i guess getting included in the Trade with the Enemy Act is another.

However, I would guess foreign nationals that come to the US on temp visas are exempt since it is assumed they are going home, and do not have to make trade offs.

As a side note when I applied for US Citizenship, I had to provide my selective service number as part of the process.

But I will defer all this to more learned people, such as Matt. :laugh:

Swissy said:
armedak, this was a thread about the no-no of discussing ISOM's, sources and such. But, having said this I'd like to also say that you're free to move where ever you'd like, to escape the 'draconian restrictions'. I'll take the risk of the fines should they ever decide to even try over the option of living somewhere else- I happen to love it here and have no desire to leave. I hear the border flows both ways for those that are unhappy...

Nicely put, Swissy! :thumbs:

kro77 said:
Yes, green carders can be drafted, yet cannot vote, does this sound fair?

All's fair in love and war... :)

Very true. So heres the question, what is the US's official stance on Cuba, are they an unrecognized government or are they an enemy? or are we at some sort of truce with them (much like the koreas).

We recognize them as a government. I don't think we have a truce as there was never a war. It's just an embargo.

I heard an interesting story that we send a rent check every year for Guantanamo(sp?), but Fidel never cashes them. I have no idea if it's true or not.

kro77 said:
Reading the Trade with the Enemy act, I believe green card holders are not exempt. If you read the act it explicitly states Permanent Resident Aliens (these are green card holders). When you get your green card you basically become a second class citizen, all the obligations of citizenship but without some of the perks. But, hey the US is allowing you to live and work here forever, (virtually).

Interesting fact, permanent resident aliens are supposed to register for the selective service. Yes, green carders can be drafted, yet cannot vote, does this sound fair? No, but this is one of those trade offs you have to do to get it, so i guess getting included in the Trade with the Enemy Act is another.

However, I would guess foreign nationals that come to the US on temp visas are exempt since it is assumed they are going home, and do not have to make trade offs.

As a side note when I applied for US Citizenship, I had to provide my selective service number as part of the process.

But I will defer all this to more learned people, such as Matt. :laugh:
[snapback]213603[/snapback]​

Yes, it's a choice you make to apply for a green card and what not, I guess we are "testing" you to see if you really want it.

kro, I think it's definitely worth it.

Avoiding ISOMs is a small price to pay!

America truly is a great place to live, not being able to smoke Isoms legally definately isnt cool but Id still much rather live here. Id have to say that im very proud to be an american, and all who arent or dont like our government well the doors open, just get the eff out. lol

K&P

I agree with both the previous posts, the USA is the place to live, and that is why I became a citizen. I could have continued with the green card but why would I want to. I live here, my home is here, and this country has provided more oppurtunities to my family and I then Poland ever could have (especially during communist times). That is why we stayed, and why we love this country.

Sappy I know, but that is how I feel,

- K

Yah...Cuba is definitly "a rogue state," and our "enemy"...lol...why I even hear they're getting ready to invade us...this embargo is ridiculous...we started the embargo because they are a "communist" country? Well then, how come Red China is one of our largest trading partners? Freedom is curtailed in China to an even greater measure than in Cuba...even the Cubans I talk to in Florida feel the whole thing is stupid..let our money flow in and people would overthrow Castro so fast he wouldn't know what hit him, just to get some share of the US$$$... ???

Neuromancer said:
Yah...Cuba is definitly "a rogue state," and our "enemy"...lol...why I even hear they're getting ready to invade us...this embargo is ridiculous...we started the embargo because they are a "communist" country? Well then, how come Red China is one of our largest trading partners? Freedom is curtailed in China to an even greater measure than in Cuba...even the Cubans I talk to in Florida feel the whole thing is stupid..let our money flow in and people would overthrow Castro so fast he wouldn't know what hit him, just to get some share of the US$$$... ???
[snapback]213792[/snapback]​

Is everyone so oblivious to the reason why we put the embargo on Cuba? Does anyone remember the missles pointed at us?? Seriously folks, Cuba was not put on an Embargo because they were a communist country or because Fidel is an @sshole! They had Russian Missles pointed directly at us... Seriously now get over the fact that its illegal to smoke ISOMS when all the other smokes are just as good and are legal and cheaper...
Thanks, thats all.

If missiles pointed at us is the criteria for a trade embargo, then the US should have added China, Russia, and North Korea to the embargo. :p :p Also, those were Russian missles so why not embargo the source? Moreover, how come we don't embargo China? I'll tell you why because it would dramatically impact our economy. We have a huge trade imbalance with China which is growing bigger every year.

The reasons for embargoing Cuba are long gone. The only reason it stays is political and has very limited impact on the U.S. economy. The only people who suffer are the common Cuban people and of course all the US citizen who want to legally smoke Havana's LOL!!!! Also, don't tell me domestics are just as good as Cuban and cheaper. Anyone that believes that has not smoked very many Cubans or is paying too much for them or both.

armedak said:
If missiles pointed at us is the criteria for a trade embargo, then the UA should have added China, Russia, and North Korea to the embargo. Also, those were Russian missles so why not embargo the source? Moreover, how come we don't embargo China? I'll tell you why because it would dramatically impact our economy. We have a huge trade imbalance with China which is growing bigger every year.

The reasons for embargoing Cuba are long gone. The only reason it stays is political and has very limited impact on the U.S. economy. The only people who suffer are the common Cuban people and of course all the US citizen who want to legally smoke Havana's LOL!!!!
[snapback]213804[/snapback]​

It wasnt the UA's decision and because Cuba put them in their backyard we put the embargo in place.

Good reading:

A U.S. arms embargo had been in force since armed conflict broke out in Cuba in 1958. In response to the nationalizations and expropriations, the U.S. reduced the Cuban import quota of sugar by 700,000 tons in July 1960; the Soviet Union responded by agreeing to purchase the sugar instead, and further Cuban expropriations followed. A partial economic embargo was imposed by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower on October 19, 1960, and diplomatic relations were broken on January 3, 1961—two years after Castro's rise to power. The Soviet Union again stepped in by offering Cuba unrealistic trade-prices, mainly for the sugar they bought and oil they sold them.

As a further response to Cuba's alignment with the Soviet Union during the Cold War, President John F. Kennedy extended Eisenhower's measures by Executive Order, first widening the scope of the trade restrictions on February 7 (announced on February 3) and March 23, 1962. (According to former aide Pierre Salinger, Kennedy asked him to purchase thousands of Cuban cigars for Kennedy's future use immediately before the extended embargo was to come into effect.) Following the Bay of Pigs invasion, Kennedy imposed travel restrictions on February 8, 1963, and the Cuban Assets Control Regulations were issued on July 8, 1963 under the Trading With the Enemy Act in response to Cubans hosting Soviet nuclear weapons, which led to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Under this Cuban assets in the U.S. were frozen and the existing restrictions were consolidated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._embargo_...st_Cuba#Embargo

Actually, to be more correct, they were Soviet missles, not Russian missles, and the USSR exists no longer...furthermore, that was over 40 years ago...isn't it time to let that go? Don't you think it's time to give up an embargo that doesn't bother Fidel one wit, but punishes the Cuban people instead? They're the ones that are really suffering because of our embargo...they can't get medical supplies from us, or food, or anything basic unless it's an emergency and then only through the humanitarian agencies...who are we punishing with this embargo and what good does it serve?

:sign:

C'mon people...think about this logically...and I'm as red-blooded American as the next guy...it's just that there's no sense to this thing anymore...it's time has passed...

Devil'sMilk, good info but they were Russian or Soviet missles as Neuromancer so aptly points out. Why did we not embargo the Soviets? Good points NM it is time for the embargo to go. I have written U.S. Senator Ted Stevens to sponsor legislation to eliminate it.