• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A short word on a short stick.

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
First of all, I'd like to thank Greg (Kingantz) for putting together the GB, without it I wouldn't have been able to try these. Yesterday I received my first small sampler of Johnny-O!'s and was really anxious to light one up, but knew that they probably needed to rest in the humi a bit before being put to flame. I made it a whole 4 hours before trying one. :D

My first real "no kidding" moment came when I first opened up the box, they really do have a sort of barnyard smell to them like everyone says. It wasn't an unpleasant smell, just different from most of the other cigars I've smelled. Overall the stick was a little veiny, a bit spongy when squeezed, but the worst part was that after clipping, the draw was terrible. I really had to put some force behind my draw to get anything out of it, even after reclipping. I even had trouble with keeping it lit, doing touch ups twice and having to completely relight three times.

What little smoke I did get, though, was wonderful. I'd say that overall this stick is on the light side of medium, with a flavor profile that makes me think of an earthy, floral, chocolately kind of taste. Not much in the way of spice until I got down to the end of it. I'm hoping that a few days/months in the humi might do it some good and that my next one won't be as plugged as this one was.

Dry box for a couple days and they'll smoke just fine. I love those smokes.

Art

Dry box for a couple days and they'll smoke just fine. I love those smokes.

Art

x2. John's stuff comes pretty wet. You'll definitely want to let them dry a bit before smoking another one. Give it a day or two in a dry box and you won't be disappointed!

Alrighty, guess I'll give that a shot on the next one, thanks guys.

Alrighty, guess I'll give that a shot on the next one, thanks guys.

FWIW, I had a similar problem on my lone a Johnny O experience. It was a Churchill that was like a rock it was completely clogged and was un smoke-able ,I had to cut it in half.

I will say though that it did appear to be an excellent smoke though and the flavors were delicious. This would not stop me from trying to aquire more but, I did nave a similar experience so it might not have been the dry aging issue entirely.

They are a unique stick though and I do look forward to trying them again.

Of all the J-O's I've had Greg I have never had one that was a complete clog. Oh yeah some have some tight draws, but I attributed that to the freshness of the stick. The dry box works wonders on these smokes and they only get better with some down time. The Behikes are a perfect example...Tough draw at first, then I dryboxed for a week and the draw was much improved. Now after 6 - 9 months rest, they are smoking fine.
So maybe you just got a bum smoke. Hey it happens, but I seriously don't have anything negative to say about them.

Art

**edit for spell and to be sure I double locked the coolidor so Kingantz doesn't get wind of those Behikes...ahahaha

I like these quite a bit. I seem to have problems with the wrappers coming undone on the larger ring gauges. However, I don't see anyone having that problem.