• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A simple question I don't fell like searching for

dixieland_conjunction said:
What does "varnished" mean in our world? ???
Could you please provide us with a context for the use of the term? In my world, my mind immediately runs to the gutter, so I would hate to answer prematurely. :) :sign:

BACCHUS said:
What does "varnished" mean in our world?  ???
Could you please provide us with a context for the use of the term? In my world, my mind immediately runs to the gutter, so I would hate to answer prematurely. :) :sign:
Like a partagas 8-5-8 Varnished?

Phil said:
BACCHUS said:
What does "varnished" mean in our world?  ???
Like a partagas 8-5-8 Varnished?
I'm sure that's exactly what he means and I read the definition somewhere. I think it just means the wrapper is somehow burnished or polished to a shiny look. I don't think any extra chemicals are added or the wrapper tastes different. But I'd like to hear the real definition because I remember being curious about it myself, especially after hearing about the most famous exampel of a varnished cigar, the Partagas 858.

i hear it's basically when they put crack into the wrappers of the cigars.

yea... shiny... i think they pick out the special shiny ones and group them together in a box...

The more I think about this, the more it seams I remember reading somewhere that "Varnished" referred to the BOX, not the Cigar. But it might take more a a FOG than me to get this one right ???

Read your books gentelmen, Min Ron NEE tells what it is. The humidor type(boite nature) boxes are varnished to help seal them. They are for long storage.

" 8-9-8 Cabinet Seleccion Varnished. Strength 2/5 when new, increasing to 3/5 after 4 years of aging. Minimum aging of 5 years recommended, because being packaged in the air-tight varnished 898 box slows down the maturation."

Hmmm, so I was correct in my Total Recall! :p

Pluse, I also found an older thread where this was answered by Matt

Yes, it means that they are packaged in a varnished box as opposed to a paper box.

8-9-8 refers to how they are placed in the box. First layer is 8 cigars, second layer is 9 cigars and the top layer is 8 cigars.

Get it ;)

Wascal said:
because being packaged in the air-tight varnished box slows down the maturation."
Man the things I could do with this one!! :p :p :p

coventrycat86 said:
Yes, it means that they are packaged in a varnished box as opposed to a paper box.

8-9-8 refers to how they are placed in the box. First layer is 8 cigars, second layer is 9 cigars and the top layer is 8 cigars.

Get it ;)

Now THAT was a piece of info that I did not know, wondered about, and appreciated learning! Thanks CC! :)

ohhh so it's like those weird boxes. that are more of a cube than a rectangle.

hmm my box of siglo iii's were like that.

LMAO

I'm amazed at some of the answers given on this topic!!

It's okay if you don't know the answer, really it is!

I know, I know....

It was a good laugh for me, no pun intended........ :sign: :sign: :sign:

I'm glad someone that knows what they're talking about posted on this thread !

:p

thejollyco said:
ohhh so it's like those weird boxes. that are more of a cube than a rectangle.

hmm my box of siglo iii's were like that.
Seems to me that the boxes that are cube-shaped are the cabinet versions of packing, referred to as SLB (Slide Lid Box). Cigars usually unbanded and wrapped with a ribbon?
This packing gives them a round rather than box-pressed shape that I, personally, prefer. Just can't afford those Cab 50's, although it seems like there are more and more Cab 25's around.