• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A tale of two cigars

moki

el Presidente
I was sent three cigars that I'm not entirely sure what the deal with them is.

The first is a Domestic Romeo y Julieta with a black band with gold trim, and a red "125" in the middle. Yes, it's obvious this is a 125th anniversary cigar... but below that is a second band with the words "James Bond 007" and the 007 logo on it. When were these issued, exactly? The debut of a new Bond film, I'm assuming?

The second is a Cuban cigar in a coffin -- a Hoyo de Monterrey "Particulares" -- this is a large A-sized 2001 EL HdM -- that much I know. But does anyone have any more info on 'em? Smoked 'em? Any good?

The third is what appears to be either a natural or a Cameroon Hemingway Masterpiece -- it definitely is not a maduro. I'm aware that these were occasionally made in non-Maduro form, but I thought that wasn't very common? Any info is appreciated.

moki said:
The second is a Cuban cigar in a coffin -- a Hoyo de Monterrey "Particulares" -- this is a large A-sized 2001 EL HdM -- that much I know. But does anyone have any more info on 'em? Smoked 'em? Any good?
I have a box of these at the bottom of the coolidor. DaveC and I will be smoking one each in about 2 weeks to celebrate his wedding.

According to MRN:

An "A" size cigar, replacing the Monterrey, a Diademas in the year 1980. Discontinued circa 1987. Typical "Hoyo" tatse. The blend is very similar to Double Coronas. At 15 years old, is very, very mild and quite bland. Strength 1/5

According to me :) :

These were released as Edicion Limitada cigars in both 2000 and 2001

Fast4Dr said:
Haven't smoked one of the 2001s then? It sure doesn't look mild... heh

moki said:
Fast4Dr said:
Haven't smoked one of the 2001s then? It sure doesn't look mild... heh
no they don't....they sure smell great though :thumbs:

It was to celibrate the movie series anniversary and the 20th bond movie. 2040 were made.. (20 movies in 40 years)

Per the magic of google..
007_Bond-Altadis.jpg

Was first shown at RTDA 2002 as a Limited Edition Humidior with 100 specially banded Anniversary Romeo y Julieta cigars.

I think you can still buy one...

007 40th Anniversary, 20th Movie LE Humidor

Kryo said:
It was to celibrate the movie series anniversary and the 20th bond movie. 2040 were made.. (20 movies in 40 years)

Per the magic of google..
007_Bond-Altadis.jpg

Was first shown at RTDA 2002 as a Limited Edition Humidior with 100 specially banded Anniversary Romeo y Julieta cigars.

I think you can still buy one...

007 40th Anniversary, 20th Movie LE Humidor
woa!

I want that humidor!
:0

yea, a big J.B. fan here, that is a pretty cool looking humi I gotta say!
:thumbs:

Andrew let that HdM age for a while. I know it's hard, the ones I have are developing a nice layer of plume on them. Great aroma!

I'll probably smoke one on my birthday this summer to see how they are.

I've had no problem finding natural wrapper Masterpieces, it's the Maduro ones that have been harder to find for me. There's a box of Maduro on Yahoo for $145 right now. Look.

The cameroon Masterpieces are made on a regular basis. The maduros are seasonal items like the Signature and Classic maduros.

AVB said:
I've had no problem finding natural wrapper Masterpieces, it's the Maduro ones that have been harder to find for me. There's a box of Maduro on Yahoo for $145 right now. Look.
Yeah... the Untold Story Cameroon is the real rare Cameroon apparently. Thanks for the info gents! :D