• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Tale of Two Lanceros

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
Graycliff Blue Label Elegante
La Gloria Cubana Medaille D-Or No.1 OSU OCT 00
(Not a lancero, but close enough!) :p

Graycliff Blue Label Elegante

This was my first Graycliff and I really had no idea what to expect aside from the size format which almost always shows the highest quality of that a cigar brand has to offer if it’s smoked slowly enough to gauge its potential. The construction was beautiful. The pre-light smell had a pleasant mix of vanilla with a nice sense of earthy tobacco to it. I plucked the little cap and found the unlit draw to be firm and smooth. The cigar burned quite well and only needed one touch up towards the end.

opus349.jpg

opus351.jpg

opus348.jpg

The taste was very removed from what I’ve experienced in my normal smoking rotation. The cigar produced a good amount of smoke that had a nice light herbal quality to it that reminded me of drinking a cool glass of sweet green tea. The complexity of the cigar was underwhelming as it tended to shift between that pleasant herbal tea quality described above and a nice tobacco taste that began to dominate the finish as the cigar reached its end. A decent smoke, although I think the price will steer me to different brands that deliver a more enjoyable experience for a better price. (I say this without trying the Graycliff Espresso, so we shall see.) ???

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D-Or No.1 OSU OCT 00

I’ve smoked through four of these out of a ten-count box Mike gave me for my graduation and have been impressed by every one of them. Each one has smoked wonderfully and I haven’t had a poor light or a bad draw with any of them.

opus341-1.jpg

opus342-1.jpg

The smoke had a distinct and quite pleasant quality to it that reminded me of smelling a charcoal barbecue from a distance. The taste was magnificent. It ranged from a solid woodsy beginning with an undertone of grass to a densely herbal middle that had a decidedly earthy finish that rested lightly on my palate. Not much spice or nicotine to the cigar, just loads of flavors that melded into an incredible complexity when I smoked it slowly. I suppose the age helped a little. :D

Great review, Marc. Always great to read you and your brother's reviews.

Great review. That La Gloria looks mighty tasty. Haven't tried an Graycliffs yet nor am I tempted after your review.

hm... nubbing with toothpick, gotta try it :thumbs:

btw, nice review!

:thumbs: Nice review. I totaly agree about the Graycliff. I have had a few of these and have not been to satisfied. The price is way out there to.
A #1 sounds pretty good to me though. :laugh:

I really enjoy your head to head reviews.

Doc.

Great reviews, thanks. Normally, I prefer larger ring smokes. But seeing your reviews have had me thinking about trying out a couple of lanceros. As luck would have it, I walked into a local B&M today, and they had a Don Carlos sampler box out, with a lancero in it, and I had to pick it up. So, I guess, thanks for giving me the idea.

Great reviews and pictures Marc!

I'm interested to know how this Graycliff lancero compares with the Expresso.

Great reviews, thanks. Normally, I prefer larger ring smokes. But seeing your reviews have had me thinking about trying out a couple of lanceros. As luck would have it, I walked into a local B&M today, and they had a Don Carlos sampler box out, with a lancero in it, and I had to pick it up. So, I guess, thanks for giving me the idea.

Wow! That is a wonderful find indeed. The Don Carlos Lancero is the reason many people by the sampler pack. I've never had one, but I've heard they're sublime.

Great find. :thumbs:

Wow! That is a wonderful find indeed. The Don Carlos Lancero is the reason many people by the sampler pack. I've never had one, but I've heard they're sublime.

Great find. :thumbs:

I had never even heard of it. But I saw it sitting on the shelf, and I had to grab it. I can't wait to try it, but I know I have to be patient.

Thank you for an expertly done review! I like the format, as well. :thumbs: