• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

About Glue

jgohlke

My other hobby
I was following a thread in the humi forum about making trays for single storage and there was some discussion about glue. There was lots of good advice there and I thought it might be helpful to provide "glue basics" for some folks...

There are many different kinds of glue and they aren't interchangeable. Choosing the right glue for the job will make all the difference. Thinking about the glues I have around the house, here's the ones I keep on hand.

On proof-reading, I realize that this is way more (WAY MORE) than most folks ever want to know about glue...I almost hit delete and let it go...but since it's written, I might as well post....be warned - It's really about glue and it's long.....

Super Glue - This stuff is truly the "superman" of glues. A very small amount has tremendouse holding power. The key to using this stuff ...small quantities....a little goes a long way. The less you can use, the better. Good for glass, plastic, steel...not so good for wood and other porous materials. I often squirt out of puddle and then dip a toothpick or needle to apply the glue. Use less! This stuff is great for "fixing" knots. A drop or two on a rope or string at the knot and it is never coming out. You can soak a small rope in the stuff, wait for it to dry and the rope will be stiff as a rod. I've made shoelaces using ths technique (just soaking the ends) out of 3mm rigging rope (REI is one place to get it). I don't burn or whip rope anymore to keep rope from fraying, I use super glue to soak the ends. Sticks to skin like nobody's business. My uncle super glued one knee to the bathroom floor (he was fixing something and accidentally knelt on the tube of super glue he was using squirting it all out, by the time he realized it, he was glued to the floor) and had to call the fire department to help get him free. No kidding! Can be layered for added strength. Almost impossible to get off your skin without solvents. Poor shelf-life, opened tubes get hard in a couple of months.

Rubber cement - A great glue for bonding two things together that share a lot of contact area (this stuff is also called "contact" cement). Good for laminating. Key to success is to put the glue on the contact side of both pieces and then let it dry. I know you don't want to wait that long. Wait anyway. Find something else to do. Come back in 20 minutes. Make it 30. It should be dry to the touch. If it is tacky, come back in 10 minutes. I put it on with a spatual or scaper. You can also use a paint brush...once. For laminating, line up the pieces by putting dowels or similar between the two pieces. Pull a dowel out on one end and start working your way across, pulling the dowels out as you go. It is NOT possible to "adjust" the pieces once they touch! Flammable! Rubs off your skin after an hour to two. Gets gummy in the can/bottle after a while.

White glue/yellow glue/wood glue - Some waterproof, some not so much. Elmers falls into this category along with various wood glues (Titebond being a common one). A great glue for bonding wood together. The joint is often stronger than the original wood. Put the glue on both pieces, clamp or fasten (with screws or similar) the pieces together. Pieces can be adjusted/repositioned. When clamping, don't over clamp. Cleans up with water. Generally, I let it squeeze out and then scrape and sand off the excess after it is dry and hard. You can wipe if off with a wet rag when it is soft, but only do this if you aren't going to stain the piece. The water thins the glue and wiping it drives it into the wood. That area won't take stain and you'll have to sand it down to get to fresh wood. This may not be obvious until you start staining. Can be layered for added strength. Easy to get off your skin with soap and water...clothes washed with fresh glue usually come pretty clean. Keeps almost forever.

Gorilla Glue (and similar) - Also used for wood and can be used for almost any material. This glue expands when curing, so it can make a mess. I use plastic wrap (like Saran wrap) to protect clamps, tools, blocks and my shop table. This glue will also glue materials together that are not the same like plastic/wood, metal/wood, etc. Can be easily sanded after it cures. A good gap filler. Dries pretty quickly and it is water proof. Not for fine furniture, but great for fixing a wobbly kitchen chair or laminating some plywood or 2x4's. I used this glue to laminate pressure treated 2x4's into an arch for the framing of a small bridge. Very difficult to get off your skin. Ruins clothing. Short shelf-life...opened containers cure in the bottle after a couple of months.

A close cousin of Gorilla Glue is "Great Stuff". That expanding foam insulation in a can. Think of it as the foam version of Gorilla Glue. You can glue almost anything together with this stuff. If you can contain the expansion, it makes a very dense-celled foam. Left uncontained, it creates a medium-celled foam with a slick, tough exterior. It is waterproof. As an experiment, I soaked 3 samples of this stuff in a bucket full of water for 1 year. Dense cell, a glob of it set up without constraint (with the normal exterior) and the same, but cut in half so the water could get at the inside. I cut all them up at the end of a year. It didn't look like any of them absorbed any of the water. I've glued all kinds of stuff together with this stuff. It's amazing. Very tough to get off your skin and ruins clothes. Short shelf-life on opened cans. I try to use the whole can once I get started...

Epoxy - This is a 2-part glue and is normally mixed together 1:1. I buy the double-syinge stuff (both regular and quick setting). Easy to use and will hold all kinds of stuff together. Kind of "plasticy" when cured..easily machined. I like the 5-minute stuff (quick setting) for most jobs. It isn't as strong as the normal stuff, but the quick set can be handy for some jobs. Can be layered, but like concrete "two pours" don't really mingle. Tough to get off your skin without solvents. Ruins clothes. Pretty good shelf-life.

Most common "glue failures" are really about expecting too much from the glue. If you have a glass rod that breaks in half cleanly...pretty much no glue is holding it back together. The more glue surface you can get the better. In boat building, 2 pieces of plywood are joined together side-by-side with epoxy. To make an effective joint...one that holds together AND flexes like the rest of the wood, the edges are scarfed, then bonded. Scarfing creates a gradually slope in both pieces and they are lapped together. Scarfs can be 4:1 up to 12:1 (if the board is 1 inch thick, the slope is cut back 4 inches in a 4:1 scarf). This greatly increases the glue surface and also eliminates the "hard spot" of a butt-joint glue line.

If you really want to hold your broken glass rod together, splint it, wrap the splint tightly with cloth or small rope and then soak the whole thing in super glue. Of course, it looks like crap...but that's another thread.

Once, at a company team-building event, we had to go around the room and tell a little about ourselves. We were asked to give the usual info and also a little tidbit about ourselves that most people in the room (my co-workers) wouldn't know. When it was my turn, I stood up, did my brief overview and then stated "And I make my own shoelaces."

Nice read Joe and helpful too!

I have made a lot of golf clubs in my life and continue to be amazed that two part epoxy can hold the head on the shaft for an infinite number of strikes of unbelievable torsional energy and never let go.

Quite informative! Have you heard/seen the infomercial on the "wonder putty" or some thing to that effect?... It is a 2 part dough like epoxy that you need by hand and stick it where needed... looks pretty effective - and yes I ordered some...

-Frank

Great article!

I remember reading a nice article on glues in a recent article in Fine Woodworking and they even did strength testing of various glues on various woods.

Thanks for the great summaries!

Wilkey

Quite informative! Have you heard/seen the infomercial on the "wonder putty" or some thing to that effect?... It is a 2 part dough like epoxy that you need by hand and stick it where needed... looks pretty effective - and yes I ordered some...

-Frank

You got had by that bearded fellow? He hawks more products than a redneck at a flea market....

BF - that's a 2-part epoxy mixed in a clay-like substance. It's actually pretty cool stuff. I don't know about all the applications they show on the infomercial, but I have used the stuff. One of the special properties it has is that it will still cure even when wet. We have some bad caulk spots in our pool tile (the tile border they put around the top of the pool right at the water line). Over a period of a couple of days, the pool level would lower to just above the bottom of the tile. One day I filled the pool to the top with water and crawled around the edge with bottle of food coloring. I dripped drops of food coloring into the water and watched to see it get "sucked" right into the wall. I used this putty stuff to jam in the hole and it worked great! A couple of years later and it is still holding. Since it cures under water I didn't have to drain the pool.

In my application, the putty was plugging the hole from the "inside"...in other words, the water pressure is pushing the putty INTO the hole...and the water pressure isn't very high (the top of the water is only and inch or two above the putty). In the informercial, they show the putty instantly plugging a plumbing leak from the outside. I had the dynamics of the situation on my side when I fixed my pool...Plugging a pipe from the outside is harder...the dynamics of the situation are working against you.

Epoxy doesn't like heat. I have tried to use this stuff and regular epoxy to fix a leak on my pool pump head. The pump gets warm enough to soften the epoxy and cause it to fail. Not recommended for hot water plumbing!

After I wrote this, I thought of other "glues" that I often use.

Silicone - both the regular and high-temp stuff. A million uses and you can usually peel it right it right off. Great for temporary bonds. I've bonded a plastic "handle" to a piece of glass with silicone, used the handle to position the glass and then later peeled the handle off with a razor blade. I made a plexiglass plate that I mounted a review mirror on..then I siliconed the plexi to the inside of our boat windshield. I held it there overnight with a ton of that blue masking tape (it comes off easily). 8 years later (and many hours of boating) and it's still there! Poor shelf life, once open the container will start to cure. Rubs off skin, ruins clothes.

A hot glue gun is a good substitue for silicone for use in temporary bonds. You can bond a wooden stick or metal rod to a small dent on your car (if the paint is unbroken) and then pull it straight out using the stick. Once the dent is flush, pry the glue off at an angle and it will pop right off (works like a magnet, hard to pull straight apart, pops off once you can lift a corner). Use a big nail (12 or 16 D) where you bond the head of the nail to the car. Be sure to make sure there is glue between the nail and the car panel. Cools fast (in seconds), comes off skin but leaves a burn...you can normally peel a drop of it off your clothes.

You can create your own "plastic" by mixing any ABS plastic (scraps are fine) and MEK (methyl-ethyl-keytone). The MEK melts the plastic and turns it into a thick syrup. You can pour this stuff out and work it (some). After the MEK evaporates, it turns back into solid ABS plastic. It can be remelted by adding MEK. Lots of car and motorcycle parts are made of ABS. You can test a small piece by soaking it in a jar with MEK to see if it melts (let it sit overnight). Expensive plastic panels that are cracked can be fixed by drilling small holes along both sides of the crack, stitching the crack closed with wire and then using this pourable plastic to cover. Poor shelf life, but you can revive it with a splash of MEK. Reasonable shelf life, rubs off skin, ruins clothes.

"About Glue, like any tool, there is a right (and wrong) glue for the job":

What's the best type for sniffing?

I'm tired of the headache's....but still really enjoy the 'feeling' ;) !

Gary:

If you put a bunch of superglue under a small hood and breath it, CSI will be able to find your fingerprints if you have picked your nose recently....................does this help? :D

You're better off using spray paint instead of glue. It's a quicker buzz and also a quicker loss of brain cells. It'll only take you a year or so to develop a wrinkled brain that'll resemble your ball sack and also be about as useful. Krylon brand in the clear color seems to be a favored type.