• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

About that smoking ban in Cuba

SFG75

Master-passer
Yahoo news
HAVANA (Reuters) - Cigar aficionados who see Cuba as the Mecca of smoking are dumbfounded by a Cuban smoking ban they say has let down the cause for smokers' rights worldwide.

Still, the hundreds of cigar lovers and retailers who showed up at the annual Habanos tobacco industry festival were grateful for a reprieve that allowed them to light up freely for the week.

Smokers puffed away at opening night in Havana's Museum of Fine Arts and stubbed out their Montecristos and Cohibas in flower pots and on the floor in the absence of ashtrays.

"Nobody could believe Cuba would ban smoking. It's like Spain banning wine," said Jose Luis Flores, a sommelier at a top restaurant in Toledo, Spain, who attended the event sponsored by Cuba's famed tobacco industry.

"It's a bad idea to prohibit smoking in Cuba. If you can't smoke here, where can you smoke?" he said.

"Everyone is puzzled by the ban, because Cuba produces the best tobacco and the best cigars in the world and we look forward to coming here to smoke freely," said Jimmy Ng, manager of The Cigar Divan in Singapore. He was glad an exception was made for the festival he described as a "walking humidor."

Cuban president Fidel Castro (news - web sites), once a cigar-chomping revolutionary, gave up cigars in 1986 and now says tobacco is poison and boxes of cigars are best given to one's enemies.

I wouldn't mind Fidel tryng to kill me. :D :D From what I've heard, he got the anti-smoking religion when the UN began working on a global anti-smoking campaign. He thought that he would be an example for others to follow, though who would disagree and risk imprisonment? ??? ??? ??? ???

i left cuba on the 15 of feb o5 and saw no evidence of the smoking ban
its realy been cool to be a smoker there all the bars and resterants have a cigar guy not working for the place. you want a cigar and he comes over and shows you several selections ,they are real not the crap the street hustlers are trying to pass. The price 1$ you name it and if he dos't have it he'll go find it. i mean with in reason, current stuff.

i think the smoking ban is a ploy by the beard ,as he is called in cuba, to free up more cigars for export. have heard 40% of tabacco production is consumed on the island.

ps if you guys keep correcting my writing i'll stop, i know i'm terrible just trying to make a point :)

Nice piece of data from the island, vitsea. Perhaps the population has adopted a civil disobedience approach to the smoking law.

Hey vitasea, considering the amount of flak you're getting. It might be easier if you filled out your profile.

texasaero said:
Nice piece of data from the island, vitsea. Perhaps the population has adopted a civil disobedience approach to the smoking law.

Hey vitasea, considering the amount of flak you're getting. It might be easier if you filled out your profile.
[snapback]171862[/snapback]​

trying to keep a low profile and members are coming around,even getting a lot of grammer and spelling lessons...........lol

just returned june 20th very lille smoking ban evidence a few rest have a smoking section. some of the hotels have a smoking and no smoking areas but it doesn't seem to matter. there are no "no smoking nazies' in cuba.

DAMNIT, PLEASE refrain from topping Scotty's threads. I hate to be reminded of the likes of him. He's banned, he's history so let's "move on" as he so loves to say.

coventrycat86 said:
DAMNIT, PLEASE refrain from topping Scotty's threads. I hate to be reminded of the likes of him. He's banned, he's history so let's "move on" as he so loves to say.
[snapback]196250[/snapback]​

What ever happened to Old Scotty :rolleyes: Still reaching around at LTC :laugh:

Yeah...pretty much 70% of the population in Cuba smokes. So the other 30% non-smokers are used to people smoking and not afraid of this :whistling: said danger of second hand smoke.
Heck I was in hosptal over there in March for 2 weeks and I was allowed to smoke in my room.No one really cared , only the fact that I had surgery and it would be better that I eased up ...just for the recovery.

Its always best just to ask first, whether in a taxi, hotel, restaurant etc.
even if they have no smoking policies once you get a yes, no problema .No one cares ;)