• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acclaym's Humidor Build

Acclaym

Moderation in moderation
Hey, CP! I'm getting into a new humidor build and I thought it would be cool to bring you guys along. I've currently got a 120 quart coolidor and I'm running out of room so I have a few ideas for expansion.

My first choice is an Aristocrat humidor from Bob Staebell but I don't currently ball on that level. I was looking for ideas on Craig's and, while headed in the scratch and dent winedor direction, I found this beauty. Now, it's obviously hard to tell with just two photos but Im a man with vision! Hallucinations count. I think I can turn this thing into something great with shelving for singles on the bottom, boxes on top.

What do you guys think? Any hope for this piece? Any words of wisdom? I'm going to check it out this weekend.

View media item 12426View media item 12427

Last edited:
Do you have woodworking skill? Hard to tell from these photos but it appears it has some seal prep already completed.

What's it lined with? I guess in short, these projects are always interesting and I'm not saying it can't be done. But you need to really be sure that it'll hold a seal. With 4 doors that sorta worries me. Not initially, but if it's not done right, then it could warped a tad, and then you have lots of sealing problems.

Again, not that it can't be done....just that it has to be done right to be worth it. It's not nearly as easy as adding in new shelving.

Yea I've got a garage. I'm interested to see what it's made of as well... I don't really want to install Spanish cedar, it's expensive. I was glad to see the seals on the doors - I hope they're in good condition. The kicker is, they're only asking $100 and my haggle game is tight. I'm thinking $75.

Last edited:
Interesting piece, I'd say for $75 what the heck! Looks like some cooling unit is installed. Can you re-use that? If not an Avallo Accumonitor would work. You could also use beads and fans and use the extra money for cigars, LOL!

That unit is broken so it's coming out. More room for boxes! I'll have to see what's above it when I remove the piece. I'm sure I'll have to seal a few things.

Look very interesting. Since it was a refrigerated unit, unless the sealing is in poor shape, it's probably pretty tight. Looks like a fun project and for 75 bucks worth the risk.

Look very interesting. Since it was a refrigerated unit, unless the sealing is in poor shape, it's probably pretty tight. Looks like a fun project and for 75 bucks worth the risk.

My thoughts exactly.

If the refrigeration still works, you could add a secondary thermostat and have a temperature controlled cabinet. With active humidification, you won't have to worry too much about RH. An Avallo or Staebell kit and a couple circulation fans and you'd be good to go...!!

Something like this would do it:

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temp...at-Fermentation/dp/B015E2UFGM/ref=as_li_ss_tl

The Avallo 10-20 would give you two water cans and two circulation fans. Just about perfect:

http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html

Well, my haggling isn't as sharp as I thought it was! She was English... the email communication didn't give any hints to the sexy accent... it got me off my game. Paid $80 ;). I was very happy to see some outstanding seals with tight magnet closures on all four doors. The wood inside does look to be on the softer side, possibly cedar. The glass is thick and this thing is HEAVY! A very well made, solid piece.

It's not ALL good news, though. Quite a few dark old water stains in the bottom along with a big pile of red wax (bottom right of second photo) from a bottle that was being stored in there when the ac went out. There was no rotting that I could see but definitely a bit of work. Oh yea, and the unit. This thing goes all the way to the back and when I remove it there will be a 8" x 10" hole :eek:. It shouldn't be much of a problem to fit and seal a piece of cedar over, I just wasn't expecting a hole THAT big.

I'll be going back over to grab the beast this week and I'll post some more detailed pictures before the tear down.:cool:

Well, we got her into the garage and started the tear down this morning with a gallon of coffee and an AJ Fernandez New World Connie.

After finding a few hidden screws I removed the AC unit from the back. I should have done that before we started the move. I nearly shit my guts out yesterday trying to muscle this thing aroundo_O! After the AC I attacked the shelving which, thankfully, was not tacked to death. All the pieces were removable so I slid them out and grabbed the shopvac to clean up.

The connie was pretty good btw so while the vac sucked dust, I sucked the cigar. The cleanup revealed quite a bit of water damage, dried mildew, and dried mold which I'd like some feedback on. Does anyone know the best way to tackle this crap? I've vacuumed up all dried dust/mold but there are stains.

I'm not opposed to scrapping some shelving if needed but salvage is preferred. An ideas!?

I'm no carpenter but when we found black mold in our house we replaced all affected wood.

Well, we got her into the garage and started the tear down this morning with a gallon of coffee and an AJ Fernandez New World Connie.

After finding a few hidden screws I removed the AC unit from the back. I should have done that before we started the move. I nearly shit my guts out yesterday trying to muscle this thing aroundo_O! After the AC I attacked the shelving which, thankfully, was not tacked to death. All the pieces were removable so I slid them out and grabbed the shopvac to clean up.

The connie was pretty good btw so while the vac sucked dust, I sucked the cigar. The cleanup revealed quite a bit of water damage, dried mildew, and dried mold which I'd like some feedback on. Does anyone know the best way to tackle this crap? I've vacuumed up all dried dust/mold but there are stains.

I'm not opposed to scrapping some shelving if needed but salvage is preferred. An ideas!?
Those might be salvageable if wiped down with essential oils thieves cleaner and colodial silver distilled water mix. If it's not penetrated any open wood, the manufactured sides can and should come clean. Any open wood may likely not be salvageable. Using the essential oils cleaner, you will have to air out a couple weeks. Then wipe all the enterior down clean with distilled water/collodial silver solution. Search CP for the ratio of distilled water/silver. Good luck.

Well, I'm back to state the obvious, I'm a jackass. After looking at the AC unit it seems like that pile of crap might just be dust from the fan that was on that spot... I hope...

Here's the unit turned up on its side.