• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Accoustic Guitar Players

Newfie

Official Lancero Whore
I've been trying to learn "No Woman No Cry" and the Reggae beat is giving me fits.

Was just wondering what 5 songs you enjoy playing most, either for the pure pleasure of playing alone, playing for jams or just the only player at a sing-a-long.

Mine are:

Wish You Were Here.

Working Class Here (Ozzy's version)

Heart Of Gold

Good Riddance / Time Of Your Life

One Tin Soldier (Theme to "Billy Jack" for those of you who don't know it).

So, list your 5.

I've been trying to learn "No Woman No Cry" and the Reggae beat is giving me fits.

Was just wondering what 5 songs you enjoy playing most, either for the pure pleasure of playing alone, playing for jams or just the only player at a sing-a-long.

Mine are:

Wish You Were Here.

Working Class Here (Ozzy's version)

Heart Of Gold

Good Riddance / Time Of Your Life

One Tin Soldier (Theme to "Billy Jack" for those of you who don't know it).

So, list your 5.

I've been playing guitar on and off for the past 10 years so I haven't logged quite enough hours to really dive into the difficult stuff. Playing guitar/singing along is like smoking a cigar to me, gives me the opportunity to get away from everything and just focus on music. It's hard to say which songs are my favorite to play as it completely depends on my mood, but overall I guess these are my 5 favorites on any given day.

Taylor - Jack Johnson

Crash - Dave Matthews Band

What I Got - Sublime

Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Hang - Matchbox Twenty

Classical Gas and Suicide is Painless (The M.A.S.H. theme) are my big ones if people are around, simply because I'm fairly assured that most everybody in the room will enjoy them.

Otherwise, I have a handful of classical pieces for myself, and some miscellaneous I'll toss out for others (Hey Jude, Scarborough Fair/Canticle...although I never quite did that one justice. Not like Simon and Garfunkel. Maybe it's my poor voice. :( )

Most of mine are fingerstyle blues stuff. Open tuning. I'm terrible, but enjoy it.

I did hear a live version of Crazy Mary by Pearl Jam that had me pulling the guitar out.

Wish You Were Here - Floyd
Ten Years Gone - Zeppelin
Ramble On - Zeppelin
Crash - DMB
Sample In A Jar - Phish

1 Wish you were here
2 Needle and the Damage Done
3 Over the Hills and Far Away
4 39
5 L.A. Freeway

Anything from Collective Soul, Counting Crows, John Mayer, Goo Goo Dolls and Colbie Cailet. That new song from Mat Kearney is nice on the acoustic as well.

I'm pretty bad, so I tend to stick to a lot of open chord songs. I have a strict 4 chord max on all songs and no F chords. If it falls within my guidelines, I'll give it a shot.

Long story short:

On the way home tonight I heard this song and thought "Holy shit, I used to love that and forgot about it".

Only 4 simple basic chords, great drinking / party song and you don't need to sing good because you need to be pretty drunk to do the version by the Pogues any justice!!! :laugh:

Enjoy (and oh yeah, standard disclaimers apply. This is my version of chords and words, yadda yadda).

Dirty Old Town

I met my [G] love, by the gas works wall
Dreamed a [C] dream, by the old [G] canal
I kissed my girl, by the factory wall
Dirty old [D] town, dirty old [Em] town

Clouds are [G] drifting across the moon
Cats are [C] prowling on their [G] beats
Springs a girl on the streets at night

I heard a [G] siren from the docks
Saw a [C] train set the night on [G] fire
I smelled the spring on the smokey wind

I'm going to [G] make a big sharp axe
Shining [C] steel tempered in the [G] fire
I'll chop you down like an old dead tree

I met my [G] love, by the gas works wall
Dreamed a [C] dream, by the old [G] canal
Kissed my girl, by the factory wall

Anything from Collective Soul, Counting Crows, John Mayer, Goo Goo Dolls and Colbie Cailet. That new song from Mat Kearney is nice on the acoustic as well.

You cannot go wrong with any of those artists! Great acoustic songs by each of them that are sure to get the party singing!