• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acid Cigars, Good or Bad?

Not a big fan of them. I did enjoy Lars Tetens back in the day when I was just getting into cigars. As a result, I tried a couple Acids, and they we just bitter to me. To each his own however...

I vote bad but smoke what you like. Just don't bust one out at your local lounge :D

This same question can be asked for Opus, Cohiba, Tatuaje, whatever cigar brand comes to your mind, and the one honest and accurate answer is:

Every cigar is terrible, every cigar is wonderful, to someone.

Don't be influenced by what others smoke or tell you is a good or bad cigar. I just got back from Deadwood SD, was there for two weeks during the rally, a bit before and after, working at the cigar shop there. What was by far the most popular cigar we sold, "Sweet Jane", it's a Acid Dirt, simply made into a different size only available to Deadwood Tobacco. During that week, we sold 500 BOXES, yes, 500 BOXES. Still, I've never smoked one as it's just not my thing, but again, smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Don't think twice about what others say about what you smoke. Hell, even if a seasoned smoker makes a recommendation for you, it means nothing unless they've asked you a few questions to see if they cigar they're recommending is something you'll have a chance at liking.

Now, the guys at Drew Estate know damn well how to make a fantastic cigar; any of the Liga Privada line will convince you of that. Not a question of quality, rather a question of augmenting the natural flavors of the leaf. I don't care for it....at all. However, I've asked a couple of friends of mine that own or work at B&M's and to my amazement, they sell piles of Acid's. At the end of the day, Acid's probably entice folks into smoking quality cigars. That's pretty cool, actually.

I agree completely. But I feel we need to support their LP line - their true cigars.

Friends,

As many of the enthusiasts mentioned on the previous posts, smoke what ya like. As many of you would agree, as we continue to smoke more and delve further into the cigar world, our tastes change - from one brand to another, or from one cigar classification to another, or from one size to another, or from one strength level to another. I have experienced this myself.

I have lived at the factory since 1998. Not living somewhere in the town, or visiting once a month, or coming to Nicaragua every quarter, or whatever. I have done this because of my love for premium cigars and for my love of the country called Nicaragua. We take pride in knowing that we make an honest product, take good care of our workers, and make our cigars *completely by hand * with the sole goal of consistency in mind.

With that said, please enjoy the entire world of premium cigars, and always smoke in moderation.

Sincerely,
JD

Jonathan - your comments are interesting and appreciated.

I stand by my comments; the Acid line usualy draws folks into the world of quality cigars, and that is a good thing. As you have noted, it's hard to imagine that "plain tobacco" has depth of flavor, depth of tastes, but indeed it does. It's a journey, not a destination. If Acid's are where someone's journey concludes, I guess you could have lots of other less worthy destinations.

"Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" is a mantra you'll hear often repeated in these pages. While the Acid line isn't my thing, you guys clearly know how to make a quality smoke. If you turn folks on to that jouirney of discovery, that's a very good thing.

I don't dig Acids, but I do have T52's, #9's, Rats, Pigs, and other assorted smokes well represented in my cabinet. 'Nuff said.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Good or bad is a point of view. Folks on this forum mostly smoke unflavored cigars.
I wouldn't invest a lot of money into them, or even non-flavored at this point. Whichever path you take, your
tastes, likes, and dislikes will almost definitely change.

If Drew Estate intrigues you, try something from his flavored line, which some folks love, and then try a
something from his Liga Privada line, which is a lot of experienced smokers would classify as an excellent,
and elegant, cigar.

Punk_Lawyer is probably the resident expert on all things ACID. Some here believe that he is a secret partner, based on the way he goes on, and on, and on about his love for them.

Stu is definitely the man when it comes to the Drew Estates brand.

Jonathan, thanks for chiming in here with a courteous and professional response, even after so many (including I) have dogged this particular line of cigars. The beauty of this hobby and passion is the multitude of choices we all have to ultimately bring us smoking pleasure. Some we will like, some we will love, and others we'll deride any time the topic of conversation comes up. That doesn't mean we don't appreciate the dedication and craftsmanship by the makers.

Back on topic, flavored cigars remind me of when Skoal introduced their sweet flavored chewing tobaccos in the early 90's. I knew countless friends and acquaintances in high school who started serious dipping habits by beginning with the new cherry flavored stuff they had out. I tried it once or twice, nearly vomited, then passed on the habit. I will admit, however, the tastes were very good. I loved the tobacco flavor, I loved the cherry and wintergreen flavorings, but the nicotine nausea turned me off. So, I can really see how flavored cigars can help introduce potential new smokers to the joys of premium cigar smoking... and in the end, I don't think that's a bad thing.

As one of my favorite cigars is a cheap stick, I certainly echo the "smoke what you like, like what you smoke" mantra.

Fellaz & Galz.

Great stream of posts and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to voice my opinions and suggestions on CP without being torn apart by negativity, hatred or straight vulgarity. In the end, I am a certified tobacconist and premium tobacco lover who has fought for Premium Cigar Smoker's Rights for many many years - and I will continue to do so with every last fighting breath I have.

Let us all enjoy premium tobaccos (Legal Aged Adults), smoked in moderation, whether it be:

(a) Premium Traditional,
(b) Premium Infused,
(c) Flavored, or
(d) Popular Priced Cigars.

Best,
JD

Not a big fan of flavored cigars. But that is not what is important, smoke what you like. I did however like the advice about no lighting one up in front of other cigar smokers, the flavor in them over power the non-flavored cigars.

Everything about our love of cigars, is personal.  The cutter you use, the flavor you like, the amount you trim, to toast or not, Churchills or Toros.  None of it is right or wrong.  It's what pleases us and only us.  Enjoy your stix, however you like them.  Everyone can offer their choice to you, but you must make your own.  Jimi Hendrix didn't play like Elvis.  Different is good.      Edit for punctuation

Wurm.

Even I had to laugh at the posts on your link. All in good fun. I was also laughing cause I then planned to present you with another tin because you like them so much when we met in Germany. Looks like I'll have to wait. hahahahah

Best,
JD

JD,

My daughter loves her empty Acid tin, lol

I enjoyed the Atom Maduro and even liked the Kuba Kuba once the sweetner was washed off. Personally I think German customs ruined any chance I had of tasting the cigars as you meant them to be (of which I don't know if I should be sad or grateful lol).

That being said, I've purchased more than one box of Liga 9s ( review here http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=45868&hl ) and applaud your decision to delay making more until you have the quality of tobacco they deserve (and yes my third box wasn't as good as my first). I also really love the Chateau Real Claros and T-52.

Your company makes some great cigars(some of which I rank among my all time favorites), all except the C-Notes, those things are frigging nasty!

Shawn

Oh and before I forget... I really wanted to try an Uzi... shame that they were such a limited release.