• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acid Cigars

tsmckenney

Mick
Because they are called Acid cigars.

Even while freshly afloat in the sea of cigar ignorance, I never once reached for an Acid. Simply because of the name. It seems like one of the all-time worst ideas. And it is the name. The very first thing that strikes you about most any product. It's f'n name.

It's sorta like naming your tampon-line Sideways. Or calling a motorcycle The Wreck. How about some Choke popcorn?

I really don't get it. And never will.

Damn Mick....I would have thought the name would bring back fond memories of how you fried your brain :D

I've never smoked one just because I'm a bit of a purist. I like all the ways natural leaf can taste when blended differently. As I understand Acid/Lars, they add flavoring and perfumes and stuff to their cigars. I'm the same way with my coffee/tea, no cream, no sugar :whistling: I'm sure that coffee with cream and sure might taste good to some people, and I'm sure that Acid/Lars might as well, just not my cup of tea (no pun intended) :cool:

I've never smoked one just because I'm a bit of a purist. I like all the ways natural leaf can taste when blended differently. As I understand Acid/Lars, they add flavoring and perfumes and stuff to their cigars. I'm the same way with my coffee/tea, no cream, no sugar :whistling: I'm sure that coffee with cream and sure might taste good to some people, and I'm sure that Acid/Lars might as well, just not my cup of tea (no pun intended) :cool:

Hey man, putting sugar and milk into coffee goes back nearly as far as coffee itself. Please don't go comparing that to adding perfume to a cigar. :D Who in their right mind would put perfume into a cigar? Is that like some kind of grandma fetish?

I think I am going to throw up.

Hey man, putting sugar and milk into coffee goes back nearly as far as coffee itself. Please don't go comparing that to adding perfume to a cigar. :D Who in their right mind would put perfume into a cigar? Is that like some kind of grandma fetish?

I think I am going to throw up.

Not knocking it, my wife actually likes to put a little coffee in her cream and sugar :laugh: My only point is that without trying one, I can't actually say that I don't like them or that they're bad. Lars and Acid get bashed a lot, but I don't know anybody whose actually smoked one, so we're just assuming their bad. Personally, I don't really want to find out :whistling:

Howdy guys.. I don't post often but I do a hell of a lot of lurking. I found this thread interesting and thought I'd pipe in.

ACID is an acronym for Ariel Chester Industrial Designs, a company originally based in NYC and partnered with Drew Estate. I believe Ariel is the motorcycle dude's daughter.

FWIW, I'm not now, nor have ever been, affiliated with Drew Estate or the ACID brand other than purchasing the product for one of the bigger mail order companies that you all know and love. (I don't work there anymore, either.)

Cheers!!

Humberto

This thread is funny. I was reading a cigar catalogue that got shipped to my house last night and it said that Acid cigars help men get more women because they love the smell.....I thought it was very funny considering I have only had 1 in my life and that is more than enough for me

When I first started smoking good cigars, like most guys, I did a noObIe sampler here with a great BOTL. One of cigars in there (and there were a ton of good ones) was one of the little Acid 'gars from the tins; it was a "Acid Krush Classic Morado Maduro". The thing came triple bagged and I didn't know why until I opened the bags.....holy crap, this thing had an "aroma" to it. Truth is, I kinda wanted to like it. Thought they might be an interesting diversion, an interesting change up in the smoking rotation. I was stupid enough to actually try to smoke the thing.

Pre-light, the overpowering "aroma" from this thing was strangely familiar. I couldn't figure it out. Then.....it hit me. Years ago, when I was a little kid, I had a really cool uncle that I used to pal around with a bit; Uncle Mel. Uncle Mel was a great guy but he used to wear a little too much "Old Spice" cologne. That was it...!! This stupid thing smelled exactly like it had been dipped in "Old Spice" cologne...!!

I put flame to this thing and the reek and overwhelming odors were in full effect. Like smoking a stick of cheap incense. Oh my god, this thing was awful. Took a second and a third puff to confirm my revulsion, and that was that. That wretched dog turd of a smoke hit the tray forever. I had to power hork two cheap ass bundle sticks to get the taste out of my mouth. I had to use brake cleaner on my stinky to get the reek off the stainless steel. I washed and washed my hands and they still smelled like they'd been shoved up the Avon lady's ass.

Now, here's the interesting part - every, and I do mean EVERY B&M I can recall visiting has these darn smokes in stock! I always ask; "....do you guys sell many of those..??..." and the answer is always the same; "...yep! We sell a bunch of them. Hard to believe it, isn't it..??...".

Well, brothers, I always say "smoke what you like, like what you smoke" so if these are up your alley, more power to you. I promise I'll keep away from them so there will be more for you other guys..... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Unfortunately I have had the (pleasure?) of smoking a few of these. They were gifted to me by a business client that swore by them. He knew I was into cigars and he sent me a sampler pack.

I felt obligated to give them a try and each one was worse than the previous. Sorry, I really have nothing good to say about them. Enough said.

I tried a couple of Acid's before, however like everyone said, the perfume/scents that are added really are overpowering. You won't taste the cigar itself, rather just the added flavors. If you like Swishers, you'll love Acid's. The only flavored cigar that really isn't bad is the Kahlua. My girlfriend likes those, so I'll take a puff once in awhile. Aside from that, it's puros for me. :)

As much as I hate to, I will admit that I had an Acid Blondie once. It had some kind of sweet, sugary flavor on the wrapper. It tasted like one of those candy stick from the Lick-em-ade (you know the one that came in a three pack with the flavored sugar, and the white stick). I thought it was interesting, and then I lit it. It had a horribly loose draw, and tasted horribly bitter. It tasted like someone had soaked a cigarette in stomach acid, and then sprinkled powered sugar on it.

I personally don't like the ACID or any flavored line of cigars. Strange as it may sound, I believe they serve a valuable purpose. They are the segway into cigar smoking for many people. I think ACIDS have had the strongest single impact on shifting the stereotype of cigars from a hobby exclusive to rich old white men, to something more homogeneous. The flavored cigars are something to start with, as the palate craves something less artificial, the budding cigar smoker will transition to the "regular" cigars.

And now for a blue collar metaphor to tie it all together:

Guns. To the in-experienced, guns and the shooting sports seem awkward, dangerous, and violent. This perception is often perpetuated by the asshole who thinks it is funny to take someone shooting for their first time, and gives them a light weight .300 win mag to try. Needles to say, that will probably be one less person who will embrace anything firearms related, and who will associate any future references to guns as something painful and violent. Start small, hitting a can with a .22 is FUN!! Build up from there.

Acid ~ .22

LFD Chisel ~ .300 win mag

I didn't say it was a perfect metaphor! :D

Billy

The only flavored cigar that really isn't bad is the Kahlua. My girlfriend likes those, so I'll take a puff once in awhile.
If I'm not mistaken, that's also made by Drew Estate for General Cigar.

I never smoked Acids because they smell like laundry detergent... :sign:

I've had the Kuba Kuba, from a generous fella here, and it was horrible :D

After all the bad things about ACID I had read I tried one, and it sucked as bad you guys said. This was the first cigar I put down abotu three puffs in. At least I got out of it a knowledge of what crap taste like.

Best thread ever. Thanks for the laughs. I've only had the luxury of smelling a lit Acid cigar of some form, and it smelled of a dirty outhouse at best. The guy said he paid $8 for it at a gas station. But its true, I see them in the B & Ms all the time. Too funny.

I'm not big on flavored cigars, but I do love their Natural line or Java Wafes for a RARE dessert cigar. The regular Acid line I really don't like - it's like smoking incense. But if you're going to flavor a cigar, Drew Estate does it right at least. They don't take a crappy cigar and dip the tip in sugar. They at least go through the process of getting a decent cigar to start with, then infusing them slowly over time.

I agree with what was said earlier about them serving a valuable purpose. They do work great as a segueway cigar. There are a LOT of guys who come into our shop or post on cigar BBs that start with Acids, then end up moving on to regular cigars. (i.e. REAL cigars lol)

They are probably the biggest selling line of any cigars we carry. It's a new cigar world out there! The young-uns are getting into it now.

I put flame to this thing and the reek and overwhelming odors were in full effect. Like smoking a stick of cheap incense. Oh my god, this thing was awful. Took a second and a third puff to confirm my revulsion, and that was that. That wretched dog turd of a smoke hit the tray forever. I had to power hork two cheap ass bundle sticks to get the taste out of my mouth. I had to use brake cleaner on my stinky to get the reek off the stainless steel. I washed and washed my hands and they still smelled like they'd been shoved up the Avon lady's ass.

Cheers - B.B.S.

:sign: :sign: :sign:

That is easily one of the funniest things I have read on this forum.

B.B.S. = thread winner

This thread is funny. I was reading a cigar catalogue that got shipped to my house last night and it said that Acid cigars help men get more women because they love the smell.....I thought it was very funny considering I have only had 1 in my life and that is more than enough for me

???