• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acidic metallic taste

CgarDan

I have noticed a weird taste I get no matter what cigar I have been smoking for the past week or so.

it’s an acidic or metallic like aftertaste after almost each puff

tried different refreshments, ncs, ccs it’s still there.
Any idea what this might be ?

Do you have a cold or on any medicine lately? That can effect taste as well.

I have noticed a weird taste I get no matter what cigar I have been smoking for the past week or so.

it’s an acidic or metallic like aftertaste after almost each puff

tried different refreshments, ncs, ccs it’s still there.
Any idea what this might be ?
Have you by chance been tested for Covid? I’ve known several people who tested positive however never felt sick or showed any obvious symptoms.

No cold. No medication nothing changed at all.

my cigars are stored in a cigar cooler that’s air tight. Could it be that as they age ammonia is accumulating ? Should I open the cooler door for a few hours to ventilate ?

Seriously guys stop scaring me me with the rona My wife works in the medical field so she gets tested like twice a week and always negative. I feel all the other flavors of the cigar just fine all the flavors of food are there same with bourbon etc. And I get this weird aftertaste only when smoking a cigar So it has to do with cigars themselves

Seriously guys stop scaring me me with the rona My wife works in the medical field so she gets tested like twice a week and always negative. I feel all the other flavors of the cigar just fine all the flavors of food are there same with bourbon etc. And I get this weird aftertaste only when smoking a cigar So it has to do with cigars themselves

Do you have seasonal allergies?
I notice when my sinuses are angry that things taste different.
Also, don't rule out the ambient humidity where you're smoking. Maybe the sticks are a bit moist and the high humidity is amplifying the bitterness. This could also be amplified if you're smoking hot/fast.

Hope this gives you some variables to consider.

Using butane high grade to light cigars. Mostly drinking coffee

Using butane high grade to light cigars. Mostly drinking coffee

Hmmmm. Do you have a ziploc baggie and a boveda pack? You could pull out a few cigars from your normal storage and store them, in the baggie to rule out a storage issue.

Hmmmm. Do you have a ziploc baggie and a boveda pack? You could pull out a few cigars from your normal storage and store them, in the baggie to rule out a storage issue.

good call I also plan to open my cigar cooler for about an hour tomorrow If there is any pent up ammonia it should take care of that as well

good call I also plan to open my cigar cooler for about an hour tomorrow If there is any pent up ammonia it should take care of that as well

Maybe check your humidification as well? Are you using beads or an active humidification system?

HOLY CHIT!!!! CgarDan, I had the same thing happen about a month ago. No shit! It was a "tinny" or metal taste right on the tip of my tongue. It lasted for about a week to ten days, and then gone. Now, I will say I had a slight bit of sinus-type pressure in my head (not prone to seasonal allergies) and a slight (slight) sore throat.

Hell, I'm old and shit breaks down, so I didn't go to the doc. Ain't no sense in it. Since then, I haven't experienced again, and I had never had it happen before. Things that make ya go, Hmmmmmmm!

I'm glad someone else has encountered it. Wish ya well, brother!

Floyd T

I get the metallic taste part way through a cigar with a lot of different brands, but much more with Honduran sticks than with DR or Nics. For this reason I have pretty much given up on buying or smoking any more Hondurans, which does cut out a lot of great quality smokes.

Last edited:
Are you taking any supplements? Zinc can have that effect on your taste buds. Agree with Brandon, take a few cigars and bag them for a week or two. Is it a new cooler or have you had a while?

Not to hijack his thread, but when it happened to me, I had changed nothing from the norm. I take multi vitamins, C, calcium, etc, but had been for months. And after that time frame, it went away. And I'm still doing the same routine. Weird.

On a side note, I took a pregnancy test this morning and the rabbit is still running around! So, I have that going for me! Enjoy the day.

Floyd T

Well I had the cooler for about a year now. Not taking any vitamins or supplements - probably should now as ruling everything else out it seems pregnancy is the only viable conclusion. Off to the pharmacy to get buy the test 🤪

Last edited:
I don't care for Honduran tobacco as I usually get that flavor. I've taken a few days break from smoking to reset my taste buds. That helps.