• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ACL Reconstruction

MPL3431

I just had ACL reconstruction surgery and when they went in they also repaired my meniscus as it was also torn. I had it on Monday December 10, I am new here so it gave me a lot of time to read prior posts and gain a lot of knowledge, as I was on a machine for 6-8 hours a day that just moved my leg. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this surgery and if so what advise they had, if any. I am going for my follow up tomorrow morning and hopefully will start physical therapy this week. Thanks in advance.

I have had 2 knee surgeries on my right knee. I have totally shredded my cartilege. To the point I was bone on bone. The second surgery I had, the Doc told me I had a slight MCL tear. He believed this was due to the fact I shredded so much cartilege that my knee wasnt tracking right.

I too was on the machine. Let me tell you, this thing is a blessing. I wish I had it after my first surgery. Here are my suggestions:

1. Find a cryobox. This will include a igloo cooler, a pump, tubing, and a knee wrap. You put ice and water in the cooler, the wrap on your knee, and the pump sends the frigid water thru the tubes to your knee. Go out of your way to get one. If you cant find one in the next few days, send me a PM, I'll give you a hand.

Do not take any NSAID's for pain. These thin your blood and will contribute to you bleeding out of your wounds!

Ask your doctor for Tramadol/Ultram in conjunction with your heavy duty pain killers. They are non-narcotic but they act on the brain similar to narcotics. I took a combo alternating between the two and had good results.

Physical therapy is a must. In fact, find a way to strecth it out. Most insurance companies will give you a set number. Say you set 36 sessions. Don't go for 3 a week. Work it in a bell curve. Start at 1 per week, increasing to three a week, and then back down to one. You'll need long term help, and many of the things they provide you can be done by you. If you tell them you have X amount of visits, but want to space them out a little because of insurance, the PT's will give you a regiment.

Swim when you can.

Lose weight. This is an ongoing battle for me.

I also had microfracture done to my ne. During it, the Doc punctures the bone to regrow meniscus/cartilege. It works, but the gains are minor to moderate. If you have to get scoped again, ask about this.

I also had injections in my knee. I can't remember the name right now, but it is the same make up of the fluid in your knee. Insurance paid for it also. 5 doeses. Good stuff.

Electrical stim. This "aligned" the charges in my knee to allow for less pain. I'll have to look the info up for you. It was experimental therapy. But IMHO, was worth it. Not the same stim that is used for muscles though.

Wet nurse (did I say that?)

I just had ACL reconstruction surgery and when they went in they also repaired my meniscus as it was also torn. I had it on Monday December 10, I am new here so it gave me a lot of time to read prior posts and gain a lot of knowledge, as I was on a machine for 6-8 hours a day that just moved my leg. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this surgery and if so what advise they had, if any. I am going for my follow up tomorrow morning and hopefully will start physical therapy this week. Thanks in advance.
Also, if you have the machine, starting PT this early may be a little early. The Doc's will want you to start PT right away. But just about everything the PT can do for you, you get from the machine, and alternating heat and ice. IMHO, if you have the machine, don't start PT until week 3-4.

-E

emodx, thanks a lot for the in-depth reply. Was the injection you had in your knee "Prolo"? The machine has been great I am up to 120 degrees and the knee feels good. I only took a couple painkillers today so I am looking forward to the physical therapy. I hear you about keep your weight done I am well over my "playing weight" right now and need to get down as I know it will help tremendously, damn Holidays :D , oh well.

Are you still very active on your knee? If so what type of activities, sports? I ski, play fotball, softball and basketball so it was important to me to get it fixed. I tore it playing flag football, probably should of seen it coming after I just bought new skis, boots, poles, etc . . . for this year. Will have to sit it out but hopefully I will get back. Thanks again for all advise it is greatly appreciated.

The injection wasn't Prolo. You'll have to wait until I go to the station tomorrow. My medical records has the good info. It was a "hal" something or other.

Keep the machine as long as you can. This is wat the PT's will do for the first 3-5 visits. Along with hot and cold cycles.

Get the Cryo box! Very easy to alternate between hot and cold cycles.

Trust me on the Tramadol. Most dotcors will want to prescibe narcotics or the Tramadol. My Doc is young and progressive. He gave me a scropt of both. He told me to take a mainimum dose of the narcotic, the a minimum dose of the Tramadol 4-6 hors later. Trust me, if you have to stay sharp, this is the way to go.

I am now just getting fairly active on my knee, and it has been 2 years. Buy a bike or bike on a stand. Trust me on this one, if you are going to compress your knee, go in a staight line. No BB, FB, SB, skiing, etc for the first 2 years. Eliptical, treadmill, and biking. A litlle weights, nut no squatting. Leg curls, extensions, and hip sled.

-E
The knee injection started with Hy- something. Wasn't hydrocordizone. Like I said, I can get it tomorrow.