• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

addiction and cigars

Gator

It's time for me to hang up my Skoal days for good, i've been off and on the past 10 or so years, or longer, and i'm ready to quit once and for all. A little over a year ago, i gave up the most destructive vice i had, alcohol, and now i'm getting psychologically ready to quit my last destructive vice.

Question is what do i do about cigars? I enjoy very much smoking cigars, but i notice when i don't dip i smoke more cigars, in effect simply turning to another form of nicotine, or just something to do w/ my mouth and hands? Both? I'm one of those people who 'if 1 is good, 10 is better', so when i quit Skoal, wonder if i should give up nicotine all together? I'm on the fence, but leaning towards giving up cigars as well, just not sure i can do moderation on addictive substances, i could not do it w/ alcohol.

Would love to hear any advice, experience, or comments

My advice would be to give up cigars while you are trying to quit the Nic habit Frank. I smoked cigarettes for thirteen years before going cold turkey. I was off of them for a few years before hesitantly picking up cigars. I was worried about the addiction all over again, but found it to be completely different.

I firmly believe it would not have been the same outcome had I tried to quit one while doing the other.

I firmly believe it would not have been the same outcome had I tried to quit one while doing the other.

I traded cigarettes for cigars, quitting the smokes cold turkey and using a weekly cigar to stave off the "niccy fits."

It worked, but truth be told, I relapsed frequently and ended up smoking cigs again for awhile. It wasn't until I quit both for awhile---about six months---that I was able to stick with JUST cigars.

Now it's only cigars and has been for over a decade, but . . . I do smoke more cigars than when I first started. I never have that "gotta have one NOW" feeling you get with cigarettes, but still. It's a habit with a tendency to increase.

~Boar

It's time for me to hang up my Skoal days for good, i've been off and on the past 10 or so years, or longer, and i'm ready to quit once and for all. A little over a year ago, i gave up the most destructive vice i had, alcohol, and now i'm getting psychologically ready to quit my last destructive vice.

Question is what do i do about cigars? I enjoy very much smoking cigars, but i notice when i don't dip i smoke more cigars, in effect simply turning to another form of nicotine, or just something to do w/ my mouth and hands? Both? I'm one of those people who 'if 1 is good, 10 is better', so when i quit Skoal, wonder if i should give up nicotine all together? I'm on the fence, but leaning towards giving up cigars as well, just not sure i can do moderation on addictive substances, i could not do it w/ alcohol.

Would love to hear any advice, experience, or comments

Ask God.

....and use the SHIFT key!

I think they are different, obviously, but I feel cigars are much better than cigarettes or skoal. I know I will give my friends who smoke cigarettes or dip a cigar, and they will have to take a break from a cigar to get their "fix". They will literally have to put the cigar down, and light up a cigarette. I have researched it a little bit, and feel that as long as you are smoking fewer than 2 cigars a day, it would be better for you. The medical research I have looked at suggest that the health problems associated with smoking fewer than 2 cigars a day are minimal, even when compared to a non smoker. I think it would be a great tool to help you quit another form of addiction. I feel the additives in dip and cigarettes are far more addicting than the tobacco itself, as well as much more harmful. However, if you feel it would be hard on you to stop one and not the other, then I feel it would be worth it to stop all tobacco use for a while. What ever you decide, good luck to you.

Brandon

How the hell a does a farmer get addicted to the cigars you're accustomed to smoking.
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif
I quit a 40 year old nicotine habit cold turkey, almost killed my wife, but I managed. I went smoke free for over a year and then resumed smoking cigars at a rate of 3 to four a day. I don't feel I'm addicted. I haven't had a nicotine fit in a long time and have no trouble going without, if need be. Cigar smoking is not the same as cigarettes and chew. The delivery system is much more efficient and direct than with cigars. This is of course assuming you don't start inhaling your cigars, which would be an incredibly dumb thing to do.

Glad to see you're back and doing well.

Doc.

Hey Frank,

Same advice. Leave them both alone until you have broken the habit. When you can climb on the tractor without reaching for the tin, you'll be good.

Addiction may be physical, but breaking that addiction is purely mental. If you really DECIDE to quit, you will. If you TRY, you will not.

When I got sober a good couple 24 hours ago. I quite smoking cigerettes at the same time. A few years later I wanted to try cigars. I was scared at first cause I thought maybe that it would trigger starting smoking cigerettes again. It didnt. I just smoke cigars and pipes once in awhile to kick back a relax. I wish I had time for more. Vacations more, Weekend more, Plus dam its an expensive habit.

Good luck

Oh yeh ship all your cigars to me if you quite LOL

I waited ~ 8 months in between quitting smoking cigs and picking up a cigar. I have really not had a problem with it becoming too compulsive or making me want to pick up a pack of coffin nails. Also do what Gary said, every so often he actually has good advice.