• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Adoption

I'm back and wanted to answer a few questions:

- daniyal: Yes, we know the whereabouts of (1) parent, the biological father and where he resides, so we can save money on the PI.

-MoeCizlak: From what my wife tells me, the maternal grandfather was one of the person(s) that left Chris alone at the hotel that they were staying at and I believe the DSS knew this. As far as the paternal grandparents go, they know my wife and I well and pretty much consider us Chris' parents already. The biological dad has a troubled past that they are fully aware of and whenever we swing by Las Vegas we drop him off at their house while my wife gambles and I smoke at Casa Fuente!!! It's safe to say that the paternal grandparents love us.

Kingantz: When DSS found Chris at the hotel they gave the parents an ultimatum, either forfeit the child so he would be given up for adoption or contact the closest relative within California. Needless to say they went with the latter, and my mother-in-law received legal guardianship. After a few days in her care DSS came back to assess the living conditions and the health of Chris and told us right away that they could see a dramatic improvement.

SouthsideCigar:
1. Neither mother or father has attempted to make contact with us or Chris, not even a stinkin Happy B-Day, or asked how he was doing, not even till this day. I'm not to sure if DSS has or knows the whereabouts of the parents.
2. See Kingantz answer.

StinkiMonki: We are indeed in an abnormal situation regarding adoption. My mother-in-law already has legal custody of Chris and since DSS already checked on him prior, would they have to run another home study?

We are in the LA county.

Question for those that have adopted, have you told your child that they were adopted? If so how old were they and how did they take it? If not, at what age do you plan on telling them?

Thank you all for extending your help to us. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sincerely the Famous family.
(edited for spelling)

We've told our kids since they were babies. At 8 years old, they still don't really know exactly what it means in all aspects. But, they do know where they were born and that they were adopted. Being an international adoption, where they will more than likely never be able to know there birth parent(s), we've always thought that they should know everything as soon as they are able to understand it. We actually celebrate their "adoption day" every year, not quite the way we do their birthday, but still make it a special day.

I was told several times that I remember as a young child that I was adopted. But it wasn't until I was maybe 10 or 11 that it sunk in. My dad is a red-headed Irishman and I am dark hair/skin and fielded many questions as a child why I didn't look like him. I never gave it a second thought until I was older and could comprehend what they had been telling me. Continued good luck to you and your wife on this.

StinkiMonki: We are indeed in an abnormal situation regarding adoption. My mother-in-law already has legal custody of Chris and since DSS already checked on him prior, would they have to run another home study?

We are in the LA county.

Yes, you are still going to have to do a home study if it is you who is seeking to adopt the child. The mother-in-law as legal guardian may actually make the process much easier. Where in LA County do you reside?

Geoff

thanks for the descriptive answers. It sounds to me (although I am no lawyer), that since you MIL already has legal custody and the Biological parents are no where to be found, as well as DSS seems to already see an improvement in the child, that all this will go a long way to making legal adoption easier.

Dave

We are in the LA county.

Yes, you are still going to have to do a home study if it is you who is seeking to adopt the child. The mother-in-law as legal guardian may actually make the process much easier. Where in LA County do you reside?

Geoff

West Covina

Strange F.

We are in the LA county.

Geoff

West Covina

Strange F.
Perfect. Then your court will be Pomona. My office is in Rancho Cucagmonga. Stop in sometime and I'll tell you more about the process over a cigar. We can take the lawn chairs to the roof.

Geoff

Strange,

We adopted last year. Our daughter just turned 10 months old. We plan on telling her about the adoption as soon as she can understand.

My advice is to get the advice of an attorney in your area who knows the adoption ropes.

Good Luck to you !