• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Adventures In Home Inspection (Some May Be NSFW)

I'm sure @CigarStone has never said this to you, but try touching your tongue to it.
Funnily enough, I have a list of things I have to explain to each client before they sign a home inspection agreement in Virginia. One paragraph talks about Force Majeure. I always say "So, you can't get mad at me for licking a live 240v wire and I die, not finishing your home inspection."

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I have a list of things I have to explain to each client before they sign a home inspection agreement in Virginia. One paragraph talks about Force Majeure. I always say "So, you can't get mad at me for licking a live 240v wire and die."
LOL!!! We need to stop treating stupid people with white gloves. If they do something stupid and it costs them their lives, that's the circle of life..

LOL!!! We need to stop treating stupid people with white gloves. If they do something stupid and it costs them their lives, that's the circle of life..
You can't say "stupid"! It makes stupid people get upset!

Is that how Hayden's garage was wired @H. Vachon
It’s likely how mine is wired. Or maybe the house. They did some weird stuff way back when.

One of these days I’ll get around to adding a proper ground to the other half of the house. 😂

Jeffro: Shoot! I measured wrong, and now the 1/0 service drop is too short for the garage subpanel..

Billy Bob: Just splice in two 10 AWG wires. That should be enough!

Jeffro: You can't do that, can you?

Billy Bob: Hold my beer!

View attachment 78248View attachment 78250

It's a redneck breaker. The 10awg glows when the system is at capacity.

I just got off the phone with John and we really laughed about this. If you look closely enough you can see that they spliced 1/0 into two 10 or 12 gauge wires, which then go 3 feet up to the a panel and terminate together into the busbar, and then.......go out with 1/0 to another panel. We both guessed that they thought the two 10 gauge wires would share the load of the 1/0 wire. 1/0 will handle 125 amps, 10 gauge will handle 30 amps ...... okie-dokie!

He and I laughed at how I am willing to do a lot of things to patch something together or find a temporary fix ..............I would NEVER do something like this.

I just got off the phone with John and we really laughed about this. If you look closely enough you can see that they spliced 1/0 into two 10 or 12 gauge wires, which then go 3 feet up to the a panel and terminate together into the busbar, and then.......go out with 1/0 to another panel. We both guessed that they thought the two 10 gauge wires would share the load of the 1/0 wire. 1/0 will handle 125 amps, 10 gauge will handle 30 amps ...... okie-dokie!

He and I laughed at how I am willing to do a lot of things to patch something together or find a temporary fix ..............I would NEVER do something like this.
You know with the number of fix it shows out there it just leads to a ton of home grown master electricians!:eek:

You know with the number of fix it shows out there it just leads to a ton of home grown master electricians!:eek:
True! John and I both had the same question ................... If you have a welder and an air compressor, which can both draw lots of current, why would you do this rather than go buy the 3 feet of 1/0 wire you need to do it right? It's not like he was saving hundreds of dollars while risking the lives of the people living in that home?

True! John and I both had the same question ................... If you have a welder and an air compressor, which can both draw lots of current, why would you do this rather than go buy the 3 feet of 1/0 wire you need to do it right? It's not like he was saving hundreds of dollars while risking the lives of the people living in that home?

Looks like a pole barn.
H.O. is probably epically cheap...cheap and safe are mutually exclusive.

Jphn @jfields You have always been too critical with your home inspections.

That pole will clearly eliminate the vertical force being placed on that wall, which is allowing the horizontal force to dominate.

Problem solved until well after the sale. :cool: