• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice for a Novice

CDT. Axelrod

I am a pretty young guy (20) and have been smoking cigars for about two years. I am rather inexperienced with "premium" cigars, though. Usually, being a cheap college student, I buy a Dutch Master or some such flavored cheapy from a local convenience store, but every once in a while I splurge on a couple of more expensive ones from a tobacconist. I wish to branch out from these cheap, albeit tasty, cigars, and move on to some better stock. Where should I start? What should I be aware of when smoking?

Some things I've tried: Various Dutch Masters, Game Green Leaf, Te Amo Toro, Rocky Patel "Edge," Monte Cristo (Cuban), Davidoff Milenium Blend, and a few others that skip my mind at the moment

Thanks!

Welcome to CP. Why don't you head over to the introduction forum and tell us a little bit about yourself? As to your question, try the search function (or google search at the bottom of the page) as this topic has been covered extensively and I'm sure you can find more than enough suggestions to keep you trying new smokes for a while :thumbs:

Hey there! I'm also a young college student (19 years of age at this very moment) and I just started smoking cigars earlier this year.

The sticks that you'll see everyone rave about here are a thousand times better than convenience store Dutch Masters and Black & Milds, and many of them can be found for pretty low prices too (like $2-4/stick if you buy in bulk; the sticks I like will cost anywhere from $3-6 for a single). Also keep in mind that although a cigar may be priced higher, you may not like it. Taste is subjective and there are plenty of bargain sticks and moderately-priced ones that you'll love.

Anyways, post in the introduction forum and do lots of reading around !! The community here is awesome and you'll learn a lot just by lurking. Also try to sample as much as you can and see what you like. I highly suggest the Padrón 2000 (or any of the Padrón line, for that matter).

There is also a Newbie Sampler thread if you have an extra $50 laying around.

My best advice is to go to your local B&M and get to know the owner/workers and let them point you in a good direction. Personally I just go in and pick up 5 different sticks and try them. You can sit at your computer all day reading what other people enjoy but it wont help you a bit in deciding what YOU like. Get to recognize a few of the more popular lines and go out and find them. But dont only stick to what everyone here is raving about. One of my favorite cigars was one that ive never heard anyone mention on here.

Find a good local B&M and strike up a conversation. Most B&M staff are knowledgeable about their products and, as you discover cigars you enjoy, can steer you toward others you'll like too.

Post an intro, read more than you post, use search. There's a wealth of threads here already to answer most any question you might have.

~Boar

Ever since going to a real cigar shop, I was AMAZED that I have ever smoked any other budget cigar. I've found to really like the Perdomo frescos, only like two dollars a stick each, great cigar for me.

And then theres pipe, which is a whole different story haha

Welcome! This is the perfect place to learn about cigars.

My suggestion to you is find a local shop and try out different smokes... Within your budget. There's plenty of great smokes under 10 dollars. Try try try is the best way to start. Enjoy.

All great suggestions above. After you've gotten to know your tobacconist and his inventory and as you read more here, there will be more brands/vitolas that you'll want to try. Many online retailers sell nice samplers and singles for cheaper than you could get them locally.

I am just going to repeat what everyone else is saying, go to your local cigar shop and try something new everytime. I still relativley new to this hobby as we call it even though I have been smoking for a number of years and I still try new ones everytime cause everyone has a different taste.

I also occasionaly buy some of the cheap ones like the white owl and dutch masters and backswoods which I mainly use while I am golfing of if I only have time for a quick smoke.

good luck. its alot fun.

Many tobacconists are nice enough to put together a sampler pack for you. 5-10 smokes of various strengths, sizes, and manufacturers at a discount. He's willing to eat the margin because he's hoping you'll be hooked and come back for more at the standard price. He's probably right!