• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice on Cigar Oasis & Hygrometer Readings

dcpeters

I've had my Cigar Oasis for a little over a year now. I've also had the standard round hygrometer that came with my Humidor and a Xikar Digital Hygrometer. Now, here is the issue. My cigars actually don't seem dry. The reading was a little high on the Cigar Oasis (it was at 80) but it always said 70-74 on both of my other hygrometers. I left the lid open a tad to release some of the humidity and now both the readings for my hygrometers read about 69-70 (Digital is staying at 70 and the Round one is at 69/70). The Cigar Oasis reading is at 74-76, however.

I know people always say don't trust the Cigar Oasis, but is that a big difference for the readings to come out?

I'm pretty positive those two good hygrometers are giving an okay reading (I've even recalibrated the digital).

What is your opinions on the Cigar Oasis? It seems to humidify fine with no other problems other than the reading. Should I still keep my eye on my Digital and Round Hygrometers?

Thanks for the advice and help! Oh, and I was wondering.....if the humidity does get to high, was it okay that I left the top open for a bit? I was wondering.

I never trust the readout on the Oasis. Mine is set at 74. I have it sitting in the middle shelf of my tower cabinet humidor supplemented with a pound of beads on the top and a small bowl in the bottom. That set up usually maintains a RH% of 68 up top and 65 in the lower half.

Wintertime usually brings some fluctuations in RH and more frequent Oasis resivor fill ups. I just rely on my digital hygrometers set on the bottom and top shelves, and I dont sweat the variations. It's what works for me and everything seems to smoke just fine.

Good luck!

would trust a recently calibrated Hygrometer, end of story. I've never had an oasis so, I can't speak to that. I would just recommend that you make sure you calibrate often, and see how your smokes are doing. 

I had nothing but problems with my Oasis.  I ended up buying an Avallo Humidifier and couldn't be happier.  I have one that's been running non-stop since 2007, and the other since 2011.  One is in a 3k count cabinet, and the other in a 5k count cabinet.  Best cigar investment I ever made.  

I gave up trying to figure out my oasis. Great concept, lousy implementation. I went with an Aristocrat.

I have had great luck with my Cigar Oasis.  I set it to 66% and it held well (Still have it taking care of a few select cigars).  Now with the advent of Boveda packs, "set it and forget it".   You just don't have to worry about it anymore.  Try them.  Insure your hygrometer is calibrated regularly.  ;)