• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice / Opinions on Cigar Transprtation

LouTam

I have searched the lobbys and just couldn't find the answer to the following, so I hope someone could help me on the logistics of transporting my cigars from Atlanta to Seattle in a cross county move.

Here are the basics.

Cigars currently reside in a cubancrafters end table style cabinet (approximately 12-15 boxes)
Value of said cigars 2K-3K
I am not concerned with humidity control ( I have enough 65% bead)
I have a new coleman cooler to transfer them to.
All boxes will be wrapped in bubble wrap and packed tight in the cooler.

Here are the options as I see them.
1. Place cooler in the moving truck with household goods. 2 serious drawbacks, 1st is transport time 4-7 days, 2nd and more important termperature can reach up to 130 degrees inside trailer.
2. Ship via FedEx or UPS AIR, cost would be approximately $250-$300 due to the dimension(s) of the pakage.
3. Take them on the plane with me when I fly to Seattle the day after the moving truck takes off.

Of the 3 options, I am looking at # 3 seems to be the best way. My concern goes back to the genesis of this thread. Temperture Control and cabin pressure (or lack there of) Do I run the risk of of something "Shocking" my sticks.

If I do go this way my plan would be to duct tape the hell out of the cooler. What will TSA's response be. Will they tear it apart looking for contraband or other malpheesince. I will TLC the packaging but if they start digging around inside all bets are off.

Any thoughts or idea's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lou

Yikes. None of those options sound good. The airlines are rather famous for beating the crap out of baggage, and I would not be surprised at all if they ripped the cooler open if it was taped up. I would personally spring for the shipping, even though it's really expensive it's probably the safest decently fast way to get it to your new place. Good luck.

Would it be less expensive if you shipped them in two or three packages instead of the one big one? It may be a little more work, but they do have a "magic number" when it comes to size of parcel and cost I believe. It may save a few bucks.

I wouldn't want my sticks on a moving truck and I don't know how TSA would react to the cooler. Based on what they did to my FIL's suitcase on his return trip from Las Vegas a couple of months ago I'm going to have a hard time checking any baggage in the future.

Would it be less expensive if you shipped them in two or three packages instead of the one big one? It may be a little more work, but they do have a "magic number" when it comes to size of parcel and cost I believe. It may save a few bucks.

I wouldn't want my sticks on a moving truck and I don't know how TSA would react to the cooler. Based on what they did to my FIL's suitcase on his return trip from Las Vegas a couple of months ago I'm going to have a hard time checking any baggage in the future.

Alan, that is a excellent recommendation. Should have expected a fellow Minnesotan would deliver a common sense approach. :thumbs:

-Lou

Having moved several times due to work, I have found that anything I want to arrive, in one piece, I take with me in the car, smokes included. If this is not an option, I, too, would recommend shipping multiple packages. It may be a bit more costly, but in the long run, I think you will be much happier with the results.

Good luck on the move!!

My suggestion to you would be to spend the extra $$$ and send it via UPS or Fedex overnight. This will be the least troublesome way for you to send it. It'll be worth it in the longrun.

Having moved several times due to work, I have found that anything I want to arrive, in one piece, I take with me in the car, smokes included. If this is not an option, I, too, would recommend shipping multiple packages. It may be a bit more costly, but in the long run, I think you will be much happier with the results.

Good luck on the move!!

Jay, if I was driving the vehicle back I would definitly take them with but we are putting the car on the truck this time. I wish Tami, Kayla and I would have been able to make it down your way again this summer but timing just worked against it. If you and the missus ever make it up the the PNW you have a standing invite.

-Lou

p.s. This is my 6th corporate move in 14 years. urgh!

If I were you, I would 2nd day or overnight them in a cooler. It is probably a good idea to throw an ice pack in there to keep the temp down. Just enough to keep the temp at 70~.

If you test out a cooler, you can see how well it will maintain the temp over time and you may be able to save some money on 3rd day or ground shipping. Just be sure everything is packed well inside the cooler.

Good luck on the move!!

Jay, if I was driving the vehicle back I would definitly take them with but we are putting the car on the truck this time. I wish Tami, Kayla and I would have been able to make it down your way again this summer but timing just worked against it. If you and the missus ever make it up the the PNW you have a standing invite.

-Lou

p.s. This is my 6th corporate move in 14 years. urgh!

I would say, "Enjoy the move.", but I know that it's not fun. Just hope all goes well for you and the family, and the move goes as smoothly as those things can go.

You can bet on a visit, if we get up (and over) your way.

Good luck and Godspeed!

I would absolutely pay a mere 10% of the total value of my stash (i.e., the figure of $250/$300 of your 2-3k valued stash) to have it shipped securely via Fed Ex/UPS, or, if it ends up saving you money, breaking the shipment up into 2-3 packages. It would definitely be piece of mind and money well spent.

Taking it on the plane with you is a sure fire way of getting the packaged opened and, geniunely, used and abused by the TSA. Leaving it with the moving company is really not an option at all. It's bad enough you have to entrust the rest of your belongings to them.

Now that's a solid idea!