• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice, thoughts on this bicycle?

Bu11dog

Check out the craigslist listing here and let me know what you think. I'm looking for a solid bike that when I want I can upgrade the gearing, brakes, tires to what I want. I'm thinking of taking a look at it on Sunday and if it looks as good in person picking it up.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/954453494.html

If you are wanting to buy a bike with a good frame that you can upgrade, this probably isn't what you are looking for. I recommend going to a bike shop and getting fitted with a bike by a professional.

Well who asked you to use common sense? ;)

I guess I would have to agree now that you said it though.

The Shimano gearset alone is worth the asking price, at retail . . . although 12 speeds is a bit low for an actual offroad "mountain bike."

Even so, to follow from what switters said, it's still only a good buy if the frame fits YOU.

~Boar

It's pretty short on details, too. Who makes the frame? What's it made of? Weight? Size?

Maybe you recognize the frame and know, but as an outsider looking in, there sure aren't any details.

I can appreciate wanting to save a few bucks, and also like the approach of starting with something you can upgrade.

However, I must concur with my esteemed BOTL's - that finding the right frame size is crucial. You can always go "shopping" in a bike store, find out what size frame is best for you, and proceed bargain hunting from there.

I also agree with the observation that the Craigslist ad says absolutely nothing about the frame other than the cool paint job. If you're not careful, you can end up on a garbage hi-ten steel frame.

Personally, I'm not obsessed with having the current model year bike. In fact, I really dig vintage bikes - and you can save a load buying used. If you start with a solid foundation (read: frame), you can upgrade virtually every component to modern high tech over time. My current rider is an '89 Nishiki. It's got a 100% Chromoly frame. When I restored it - after putting a wicked buff job on the cranks, I modernized on the pedals a bit:

DSC_0138.jpg

BEFORE:
DSC_0101.jpg

AFTER:
DSC_0199.jpg

It wasn't quite done in that last photo...still missing brakes and a chain. It's now a regular rider, though.

Back when I was a ski tech, the store I worked for kept me busy building and working on bikes in the summers. Most of the time when we'd see a bike that is all painted up (Mountain Dew, Bud Light, etc) it is almost always a promo bike that was a giveaway at a bar or some kind of event and has all the cheap components: SRAM Grip shifters, Shimano entry level derailleurs, etc.
The listing states it's a "one of a kind" and then goes on to say there is one listed on ebay? Even if this frame fit you perfectly, it's still not worth $150. If you want something cheap to beat around on, you can go to Sports Authority or Dick's and get a Barracrappa or something similar with gripshifts, linear pull brakes, aluminum frame, Shimano derailleurs for right around $160.
Best bet, if you think you're serious about getting into riding: save 500 bucks, go to a bike shop (not a store that also sells bikes) tell them you want something to start out on but also be worth making some upgrades down the line.

Great comments and advice, and yes I don't really know how to do all the work. I'm sure I could figure it out but I'm looking to start putting on some mileage next year when the weather shapes back up. Sooooo, guess I'll save the bucks I have and add some more to it. Hadn't thought about the promo bike thing, good points, all flash but made of trash.

Corona? Never heard of the brand and I agree with Switters. If you're serious about putting in some miles, get fitted and buy a proper bike for your needs. It will make a big difference on the longer hauls.

That's awesome steamboat, I need one for both sides along with some mirrors ;)

My grail bike if the Marin Muirwood 29'er, maybe someday.

IDK if anyone mentioned this, but the brand isn't Corona... Its for the beer. The downtube says "Corona Extra" in the Corona font and the color pattern matched the brand. I personally would be caught dead riding anything like that.

Anyone selling a bike and marketing it as "pretty neat" is going to scare me away. Heaven knows where the bike came from. Head out to a local bike shop and see if they have any '08 or '07 closeouts. My wife always buys her bikes from the previous model year -- and ends up with a hella deal on an normally expensive bike. I bought my mountain bike the same way -- it's a Canondale that listed for $900 and i got it for $350 (it was "new" but from two model years earlier).

But it's always about the fit. Don't risk it using some goofy online guide to determine frame size. Head into a true bike shop to figure out what best fits you!

Well, I can see 3 chainrings on the crank, so it's not "12 speed", and it has front suspension so it's new enough (last 10 years) to have 7 on the freewheel.

That said, if you're looking to buy a good bike, the best and cheapest way to get there is to buy a bike that fits your needs right away.

What you'd be buying with this bike is transportation. Not a bad thing, if the bike's in good condition. The price is not necessarily bad, not necessarily good, depends on the overall condition. But don't consider upgradeability. Consider usability, as is.

All of you have done nothing but help me make up my mind to buy new or slightly used from 2 of the local shops that will fit you and you to the bike. When spring rolls around I want to have something to get to work and back as quickly as my legs will take me. It has to be able to put up with some abuse as there are lots of curbs to be jumped on and off of as well as a fair share of gravel mixed with asphalt.
The Marin was my fav and maybe I can pick up an '08 cheaper in late winter.