• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AF 8-5-8

davidg

The guy sitting next to me is a martian!!!
I purchased 10 AF 8-5-8's on the recommendation of a friend. I have smoked three of them and they are just terrible. :( :( I couldn't believe how bitter these things tasted. I will probably give the rest away. Has anyone else experienced this or did I just get a few bad sticks? I have enjoyed every other Fuente I have smoked. Just can't believe the maker of the Opus could put out such a bad cigar.

P.S. I bought these in August 08 and smoked the last one yesterday.

I purchased 10 AF 8-5-8's on the recommendation of a friend. I have smoked three of them and they are just terrible. :( :( I couldn't believe how bitter these things tasted. I will probably give the rest away. Has anyone else experienced this or did I just get a few bad sticks? I have enjoyed every other Fuente I have smoked. Just can't believe the maker of the Opus could put out such a bad cigar.

P.S. I bought these in August 08 and smoked the last one yesterday.

These are a standby stick for a lot of people, and have done remarkably well in several blind reviews. If you like other Fuente green band sticks you've had, then there's probably something wrong with the sticks. Are you storing them properly?

Edit to add: sticks. :p

For the price I really enjoy the 858 Maduro. You could have gotten bad sticks, or sticks that haven't been stored properly, or it could just be that they aren't your thing. Sometimes certain cigars just don't agree with your palate. For example, I hate the AF Short Story and I catch flack for it constantly. They just aren't my thing.

I've heard the 858 Sungrowns might be pretty good as well.

They are stored properly around 65%-68% RH and 71 degrees. I keep my "ready" to smoke singles in there own desktop humi and no problems out of my others. Perhaps after some of the responses I will let them sit awhile and give them another try.

Thats a bummer, 8-5-8s are a pretty decent smoke from my point of view.

What do you normally smoke? To me, the 858 Maduro is my go to stick and has never disappointed me. The naturals are decent but if you're a fan of say Tatuaje, you're going to find the natural a bit mild. When you say bitter, thats where I find it to be weird, were all the sticks the same? I"ve had cigars have a bitter taste when they were over humidified but that usually happens to me with a maduro wrapper.

What do you normally smoke? To me, the 858 Maduro is my go to stick and has never disappointed me. The naturals are decent but if you're a fan of say Tatuaje, you're going to find the natural a bit mild. When you say bitter, thats where I find it to be weird, were all the sticks the same? I"ve had cigars have a bitter taste when they were over humidified but that usually happens to me with a maduro wrapper.

Yeah, describing them as "bitter" has me a bit confused as well. That's why I assumed it was improper storage, especially if they've all three tasted the same. These cigars are on the mild side of medium and pretty darn smooth, in my experience and opinion. Or maybe the David simply doesn't like this cigar, which is certainly possible, but the OP led me to believe that he's enjoyed other Fuentes (although perhaps only Opus?).

In any case, if they were bought in August 2008 and your storage is proper (which it sounds like it is), I doubt very much if additional time will change much. These sticks appear to be either ruined or not to your taste.

Different smokes for different folks......but I like these.

my local shop has these....I guess they come in different wrappers, I am gonna pick one up after work today...I will post a review with what I think...seems to be some who say they are nasty, but I love fuente stuff..so we will see how it goes.

I smoke the Hoyo Excalibur No.1 more often than anything and I enjoy the hemingway thoroughly. The after taste is what is so bitter. You guys might be right, they might not fit my taste after all I have heard other people say they did not enjoy the Opus. (Good for the wallet I guess.) But that is one of the fun parts of smoking is finding out what you like and giving to your friends the one's you don't. That is how I was sold on the Excalibur. Friend of mine bought some, to strong for his taste, gave the rest to me. But out of respect of the brand I will at least try another.

It's my guess that you got some that werent' cared for......or.....they simply don't fit your palet.

I consider the 858 the best $4 cigar made......bar none!

I started and have smoke them for over 8 years and never had a bad one. The only bitter sticks that I ever had were, as it was said before. ad a humidity problem. Usually dried and re humidified. But never a fuente. But as it has been said, it could be your pallet. I LOVE Opus X, but dislike Anejo. So you never know.

They could have been too wet and you may have been getting "tar" on your palate. You can check this by taking a long draw and then dabbing he end (non burning one :rolleyes: ) on your hand. If you get some brown tarry looking stuf they are too wet and need to sit for a while.

Otherwise if you are interested in a trade you can PM me.

- Jason

Talking about possible wetness actually makes sense. The particular shop I purchased these from keeps their walk-in at about 85% but would that affect the taste after almost five months? Or is this now permanent and the sticks unfixable? I am more than willing to let them sit. I have a small travel humidor, could I put them in that for a while with no humidifier to dry them a little?

By the way thanks for the helpful responses. I was ready to just give up on these and now I am at least willing to give them another chance. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Talking about possible wetness actually makes sense. The particular shop I purchased these from keeps their walk-in at about 85% but would that affect the taste after almost five months? Or is this now permanent and the sticks unfixable? I am more than willing to let them sit. I have a small travel humidor, could I put them in that for a while with no humidifier to dry them a little?

By the way thanks for the helpful responses. I was ready to just give up on these and now I am at least willing to give them another chance. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
85% are you sure? That is almost certain mold at room temps. I don't buy anything at a B&M unless they keep thing fairly close to 65%-70% range.....God know what those cigar were subjected to over time.

I am sure about that 85%. I noticed on their digital hydro I clarified with them that it was calibrated. The owner stated he kept it that high because of in/out traffic. That explanation made sense to me. I don't buy many cigars from there. From the sound of it I won't be buying anymore.

I have never had an 858, but I do enjoy the Fuente line. I guess I would be surprised if I didn't enjoy it