• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AF anejo Shark #77 Review

opusxfiles

Smoke Shackin'
Well, here goes my review of the infamous AF SHark! Hope you all enjoy it. Just in case there's anyone out there who doesn't know about this cool cigar, it's a torpedo that starts out round and becomes a thick box pressed cigar towards the end. I had been intrigued by this cigar for a while, and finally got one during Eshaw's "I'm gonna be a Daddy" pass. Last night, a good friend was in from Chicago, and we were playing Hold'em and drinking much bourbon, so I figured it would be a good time to break this little beauty out.

It smelled great, even before I lit up. It lit well and burned very evenly. I was super happy because I had heard these were like a maduro opus x...but I found it to taste more like a PAM. It was full of coffee and chocolate. Very full, but not too much spice...just enough to kick it a bit. Things were going well...and then...DISASTER STRUCK!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what happened. I am still in shock....I will have nightmares.

The wrapper began to peel. That's right. It started to split along the seams and come off in large sheets. It was facinating and horrible at all the same time. The wrapper coming off made the binder and filler begin to burn under the wrapper. I was on the brink of tears. I knew I had to act fast! I had waited too long to try this thing...what could I do?!?!?!? Armed with only my wits, a pipe tool, and a butane torch shaped like a bass lure, I performed emergency surgery.

By now things were not looking good, but I couldn't give up. I began to torch the damaged wrapper, and use the pipe tool to cut away the edges, until I finally caught up to the binder and filler. I few more quick burns and cuts, and it was even again. Sure I had missed out on a good bit of the smoke, but now I was free to enjoy the rest of it! The cigar was wonderful from then on...

It was smooth and complex and everything a good cigar should be.

I have heard that these beauties are only offered around Christmas time each year. That's why they are so hard to get. Until then, I guess I will have to search online for some at a decent price or look for them in passes and trades. I won't rest until I get to try one that does not unwrap on me. I hope this review is helpful to all of you...I am not going to give this smoke a rating, because I am not sure how it would be under perfect circumstances, but it was really awesome in almost every other respect...I would recommend this smoke to anyone just based on what I did get to try.

opusxfiles said:
It smelled great, even before I lit up. It lit well and burned very evenly. I was super happy because I had heard these were like a maduro opus x...but I found it to taste more like a PAM. It was full of coffee and chocolate. Very full, but not too much spice...just enough to kick it a bit. Things were going well...and then...DISASTER STRUCK!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]188241[/snapback]​

They don't taste anything like Maduro Opus X's (as you surmised). Sorry to hear about the wrapper coming off -- where did you get the cigar from?

Rod,

Heard about your unfortunate experience with the Anejo #77 (Shark). Another will be on it's way to you tomorrow. I hope the experience is better than the first.

I had the same experience with another smoke on Friday night. I think it was b/c it was dry. Summer heat kicking up in Phoenix, AZ and it's been over a 100 degrees here. They are predicting 113 tomorrow. Anyhow, my cigar exploded, bursted and I experience everything you said about your Shark. I've got a the same shark in my humi. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to me.

ree

Cigar Elf said:
Rod,

Heard about your unfortunate experience with the Anejo #77 (Shark). Another will be on it's way to you tomorrow. I hope the experience is better than the first.
[snapback]188246[/snapback]​

Dear Cigar Elf...you rule...thanks man! :D

Cigar Elf, Santa claus, I think christmas is coming early for me and rob! :D

ree ree robusto said:
I had the same experience with another smoke on Friday night. I think it was b/c it was dry. Summer heat kicking up in Phoenix, AZ and it's been over a 100 degrees here. They are predicting 113 tomorrow. Anyhow, my cigar exploded, bursted and I experience everything you said about your Shark. I've got a the same shark in my humi. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to me.

ree
[snapback]188249[/snapback]​

It was 107 here yesterday....

ree ree robusto said:

ree
[snapback]188249[/snapback]​

Sorry to hear about your heat problems. If you want, just ship all your cigas to me and i will "store" them over the summer. Better yet, you and Brown Devil can both send them together; save on shipping! :sign:

opusxfiles said:
I have heard that these beauties are only offered around Christmas time each year. That's why they are so hard to get.
[snapback]188241[/snapback]​

Is this true? I have heard only at X-mas and I have also heard just before Father's Day as well (aka NOW!!). I guess we should defer to Moki on this....

I asked one of our local retailers when he expects some Anejos to come in and he laughed at me. :( I don't like him much anyway, but he did put his last batch out on the shelves, no limit, at MSRP. I wasn't smart enough to buy the boxes at the time but I will when I see them again (if I see them again).

LC-Smoker said:
Is this true? I have heard only at X-mas and I have also heard just before Father's Day as well (aka NOW!!). I guess we should defer to Moki on this....
[snapback]188360[/snapback]​

To my knowledge -- which is unfortunately limited -- they do generally come out around Father's day as well as around Christmas time. However it is not set in stone in terms of what dealer will receive what, when. I'm guessing, but I think they make only so many boxes of them, and then just ship them to dealers until they are out... so not every dealer gets them biannually.

OK!!!!! A brand spankin new Shark just came in from Cigar Elf!!!!! First of all...thanks dude...seriously...you are AWESOME!!! secondly...I will smoke the new shark tonight and give a new review later!