• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged Cigars

Wisecigars506

Here's a question I've been wanting to ask other cigar smokers for a while lately...

What cigar have you been aging the longest in your humidors?

I ask this because 1) I'm curious to see what you guys think are worthy to be aged and 2) because I'm so tempted to smoke cigars I'm aging that I never let them age in my humidor for longer than 1 or 2 months.

Here's a question I've been wanting to ask other cigar smokers for a while lately...

I ask this because 1) I'm curious to see what you guys think are worthy to be aged and 2) because I'm so tempted to smoke cigars I'm aging that I never let them age in my humidor for longer than 1 or 2 months.
Me, too. Poor impulse control! :p

I tend to age things that I'm either not so pleased with and I think a little age will benefit, or things that I love that are new and I'm interested to see what a little will do to improve. And then there is the accidental age... aka it gets buried and I forget that I have it. LOL It's like finding a $20 in your pocket when doing laundry!

Obviously my answer is Opus X. That is pretty much what my humidor looks like and not much else. Yes I have stuff aging as earlier as 1999 to present. Again, most of its Fuente goodness. But so many others age nicely. I know LFD's and Padrons age wonderfully. But to be honest...I'm not in the market for aging my cigars. Yes, I do appreciate a aged cigar but I live in the moment so any cigar in my humidor can be on the IN DANGER Species list at any time. :D

You obviously need a bigger humidor! Just buy more each month than you can smoke in a month's time and you won't have any trouble letting some of them age a little longer.

;)

Last year I was bought a cigar from a fellow BOTL here at CP that was amazing. So I decided I must keep these in my humidor. On my next trip to the B & M I bought some and anxiously awaited for a chance to smoke one. I did smoke it the next day and it was only half as good as what I remembered the cigar to be. Huh? I thought that maybe it was just a dud. I smoked another several days later and it was only so-so. I contacted the BOTL that I bought the original cigar from and was informed that it had 2.5 years of age on it. I then realized what aging could do for a cigar.

I have a coolidor setup for just aging cigars. In it I have some Anejos, Hemingway Maduros, Partagas Blacks (I do not like them at all without some age), 601 Green Labels, Padron Londres Maduros, and some Opus X. All of these cigars are good fresh (except the Partagas), but IMHO they are great with some age on them.

When I buy cigars that I have not had before, I buy at least 3. A couple to smoke now and one to age for at least a year. You never know what age may to do for a cigar.

This the very reason why you buy 5 of the same cigar. I smoke one right away and will revisit it again at a later date. It maybe a week, month or even a year. Depends on my mood and my first impressions of the cigar. I will then proceed to fire the rest up. Its better if you know you already like said cigar, you purchase a box and let it age. This allows for more sampling in between where a 5 pack doesn't.

Me, too. Poor impulse control! :p

At least i know there's someone else like me here!!!

You obviously need a bigger humidor! Just buy more each month than you can smoke in a month's time and you won't have any trouble letting some of them age a little longer.

;)

I dunno if thats the problem, i have a 75-100 count humidor thats always full, but if i go in there to smoke a cigar i'm going to want to smoke the Monecristo Edmundo i have in there regardless of it's age, haha. Btw thats what i'm trying to age, i have 3 Montecristo's and two Cohiba's i'm actually trying to age, the rest are technically on my smoke now list.

OpusX and Anejo are the two that come to mind. An Opie or an Anejo with a few years of dowtime.....real bliss..... :love:

I've had mixed luck with aging Padron (one of my favorite smokes). The x000 series seems to benefit, no so much with the 64 / 26 / etc series. Keep in mind they are already very well aged when you buy them. I've had some that tasted rather bland with only a few years on them. As such, i try to smoke them fresh.

As they say...one man's opinion....B.B.S.

Edited to add - If you only have a desktop, a seperate cooler for aging makes very good sense. When you find something you like, buy two boxes; one for now, one for later. I started doing this a few years back, and now it's easy to go to the cabinet and find a smoke with 2-4 years on it.

I always put the humi date on the bottom of boxes that go into my cabinet. Doesn't take too many extra boxes and you'll find yourself well on the way to getting some nicely aged smokes.

I have a small 300 count humi and a year ago had purchased several 5 ers of various Fuente. I wanted something for my night smoke and found a 1 year old short story. The year added a nice mellow touch to an already great cigar. Thats about as far back as I have been able to let something age.

Cigars are for smokin!
But....there are some limited release ones that I have and have aged...Litto Small batch comes to mind and a few opus i still have in the humi.

another humidor might just help me keep my hands off the cigars i want to age. I may have to look into getting another one.

I have to admit, that I could be stronger in that area..........

I have a few late 90's Sir Winstons in the cab :)
as for boxes I will always have a small stock of RASCC on hand to age.

All aged at least 3 years. I have several times became green myself by smoking green. I try to avoid that. It amazes me that so many guys have so little patience.
Most of my regular smokes are well over 10 years old, and they are smooth. Oddly enough it does not seem to make much difference in taste, with some brands, I have had many fresh Upmann, Mac, Monte, Diego, Cohiba, Alberto, etc that were pretty nice.

I let mine age enroute to my Humi and/or lips....

what? That is not enough time?

Tim

I've managed to age some of my cigars up to three years, couple of ESG's and San Cristobals....most of everything else is usually around 1 year. But I'm working on letting some litto gomez SB's, padrons, anejos and johnny o's get up there....hopefully.

another humidor might just help me keep my hands off the cigars i want to age. I may have to look into getting another one.

I had 2 cigar lockers over 430 miles away to keep cigars safe from me. That is the easiest way to age cigars. Up to the point you visit them. You can have 20 humidors in your house. Only way you will age cigars is by discipline of not touching them.

But in my humidor, anything is in danger at any time. :D

The only thing that seems to get age is things I don't want to smoke. All the good stuff don't last very long.

I wish I had the patience. I just always seem to buy what I want to smoke right away. I think the real problem is that Ive never been much of a box buyer. If I wasn't always buying samplers and fivers maybe some of the good stuff would stand a chance of spending more than a few months in my humidor.