• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged wine

WRXpilot

Think I might have just adopted yet another expensive hobby.

I've been "into" wines for a few years now (since reaching legal age basically). I've had plenty of ok/mediocre wine, plenty of good wine, and a little fine wine, but never anything with serious age on it.

Until yesterday, when I got to taste a 1953 Burgundy. Now this is probably past its prime, but it was unlike anything I've ever had before. Like liquid silk, and a flavor complexity I couldn't begin to do justice to.

How does one even go about finding aged wines? Is it purely an auction market, or are their vendors that specialize in this? Is there any such thing as a "bargain" in aged wines?

I used to think all this talk of aging was just so much snobbery for people to justify paying insane prices for old bottles of wine; now I've seen the light, but potentially motally wounded my wallet.

WRXpilot said:
Think I might have just adopted yet another expensive hobby.

I've been "into" wines for a few years now (since reaching legal age basically). I've had plenty of ok/mediocre wine, plenty of good wine, and a little fine wine, but never anything with serious age on it.

Until yesterday, when I got to taste a 1953 Burgundy. Now this is probably past its prime, but it was unlike anything I've ever had before. Like liquid silk, and a flavor complexity I couldn't begin to do justice to.

How does one even go about finding aged wines? Is it purely an auction market, or are their vendors that specialize in this? Is there any such thing as a "bargain" in aged wines?

I used to think all this talk of aging was just so much snobbery for people to justify paying insane prices for old bottles of wine; now I've seen the light, but potentially motally wounded my wallet.
[snapback]237343[/snapback]​

NorCal is the resident wine expert....now where the heck is he? Oh NorCal... :whistling:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !

Oh boy, now you've opened up Pandoras box WRX. For aged wines I usually purchase from these two sources, K&L Wine Merchants and Premier Cru. If your looking for something in particular try Wine-Searcher.

My aged collection is very limited and as of now I'm sticking to Porto's and Sauternes for long term ageing. Here's a link to a friend's Wine Cellar, he has a serious collection of d'Yquem that is quite impressive.

:cool:

NorCalCigarLover said:
Here's a link to a friend's Wine Cellar, he has a serious collection of d'Yquem that is quite impressive.

:cool:
[snapback]237365[/snapback]​
holy crap! your pal has one heck of a wine cellar :thumbs: , damm, i have trouble filling my 20 bottle rack, let alone a huge cellar like that. i recognize the glasses he has hanging, and i know the $$$$ of them. damm, i could only wish for a collection like that! you are fortunate to have seen somthing like that norcal, most impressive.

Thanks for the links; I think for now I better keep educating myself before diving into aging seriously. Lots of money and potential pitfalls from what I see so far.

There's more decent, inexpensive wine out there now than ever it would seem too, so it's not like I won't have anything to do...

Too much dusting for me. I'll stick with 125-150 bottles of the hard stuff.