• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Air purifier

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/...s/sku__SI867GRY

Has anyone used one of these, if so how did it work out for you. I'm looking to do a 1300 sf basement, any others out there that you would recommend?

Other option is to run bathroom vent fans and vent it outside. Going to be hooking up something soon before I start finishing the basement.

TIA

Yes they work extremely well, however the SI ones tend to run a bit expensive. There are some dealers that sell them for less you just have to do some searching. You can wipe the filter after the first day alone and see all the crap collected that you were breathing in. Make sure you read about the ozone it produces to. However i think the newer ones got rid of that problem

All the scientific data I've come across shows the Ionic Breeze to be a waste of money. They almost all recommend HEPA filters. I recommend checking with Consumer Reports before making a purchase.

Do a search and you will find some more info.

Be aware of CADR rating for any purification system.

Do a search and you will find some more info.

Be aware of CADR rating for any purification system.

I am afraid any air purifier from Sharper image will not be good.

THIS PLACE has the best available if you are serious about removing smoke.

I have been thinking about buying one of the Trion SE 400E and making it into a portable unit. I have the Trion SE 800E.

I agree that HEPA filters would be the best for cleaning. If you go the exaust route, a bathroom fan will NOT be enough. A typical bath fan is 100-150 cfm, made for a 10x10 room.

Calculate the cubic feet and divide by aprox 5 to get the recomended cfm. (divided by5 will change the air every 5 mins... etc).

Also, if you have long duct runs, you have to adjust for static pressure, so go on the bigger size in that case.

Awesome thanks i'll be doing some homework over the next few weeks.

I have one of the generation before this one. It uses a corona wire to ionize the air, then charged plates to pull the air through. Problem is, charged corona produce ozone which corrodes metal. The wire developes oxidized tungsten...well, its bad. Soon, voltage arcs from the wire to the nearest metal. There is a ceramic bead on the wire so you can invert the unit to clean the wire. That only buys you a few more months.

By design, it works well. What they don't tell you is that they don't run forever. Mine was unusable after about 8 months. The freebie bathroom version died in about the same periord. Don't do it.