• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Airplanes and Travel Humidors

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
I am going to Vegas in April and I am going to buy a Pelican Case or Cigar Caddy to take with me. I will get the 24+/- count model. Should I check the case with my other baggage or carry it on with me? If I check it, do you think it will get messed up or lost due to its size?

Wheres the best source for these cases? Any preferences with type, size, etc.?

Thanks

I carry mine on with me. A freind of mine checked his in his luggage, and it was gone at when he got home. It was stolen sometime after he checked the bag during inspection along with his lighter. He contacted the airline and was told he would have to prove that it was in the bag to begin with.

Try dryboxes.com They have pretty good prices. Check out the 32 count at the bottom for the best deal.

I would say get the BIGGEST Otter Box you can. Just like a coolerdor, you can never have too much room.

When you bring it to a herf, you'll need the extra space for the cigars that people will shower on you ;)

How does the pick and pluck foam work? Has anyone used it? Any troubles?

JoeM has used it and said it works. Anyone else?

Bobbyson1a said:
The pick N pluck foam works great.
cut the foam in half and then cut out the slotes for the cigars.

Heres a photo of it. I used a dremel with a round sandpaper bit.

http://www.cigarutopia.com/cu_forums/photo...80¤tpos=7
That sounds great.

If found this one: with the pick and pluck foam for 21.80. Inside Dimensions:
8-1/2"L x 6"W x 3-3/4"D
1150_small.jpg

Bobby, yours has a humidifier in it. THe ones I see with p/p foam do not. The one I am looking at doesn't. ???

Great job on cutting the slots. I don't think I can do that.

SD_Stack said:
Bobby, yours has a humidifier in it. THe ones I see with p/p foam do not. The one I am looking at doesn't. ???

Great job on cutting the slots. I don't think I can do that.
I put the humidifier in myself the box is made for a camera.

Just take your time you can do it. :thumbs:

Use a dremel for the slots & a big bread knife to cut it in half

Bobbyson1a said:
mhn said:
Stack,

check out this thread:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=6107

rediculous price on the yellow otterbox.

Mike
I have the Otter box the foam is very flimsy and you have to keep it full of cigars or when you pick it up the cigars will roll around.
they roll around from side-to-side?

I hadn't heard that about them...that sucks...

how many cigars can you store in yours? edit: nevermind, I could probably just look at the picture

With the foam that i cut out I can hold 24 cigars.
I also bought the replacement foam to use in my otter box.

For longer trips I took a larger Cigar Caddy and made some changes, some for function some for looks.

First I took the foam panels that they give you to separate the layers and took an old punch and punched about ten holes in each cigar place. It took awhile but lets the humidity move abit more.

Then I took out the lid foam and cut the top inside of a Padron box to fit tightly in the lid. Cut the foam into like a frame to fit around the outside edges framing the "Padron" logo. On the lid I also added a very small digital hygro, and reattached the included humidifier.

As for traveling with it. I wouldnt think of checking it with my bag, I always carry it with my carry-on. One thing you can do like I do on short trips where I may just have a carry-on and a small bag is use the "plane side check" or "gate check" You can check your bag at the loading gate they load it right then. Then when you get off its there for you NO baggage claim headaches.

ads

Do Not, I repeat DO NOT check your cigars! Way too many horror stories of stolen or "confiscated" sticks. And though I've had no problem I would also recommend removing any bands from your Havanas. Apparently some overzealous security people have been known to confiscate banded Havanas when searching bags :(

Can't beat these guys > Cases

As for the Airport, I take my cigars EVERYWHERE ! Put them in your "carry on" put the Cubans on the bottom of the case and the domestics on top. I have Never been questioned about my cigars in 5 years. ;)