• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

airtight or not ?

Humidorian

I've heard conflicting views on whether or not a humidor should be airtight or not. Some folks say the air needs to be "changed" once in a while anyway so a tight seal isn't necessary.

I'm thinking that as long as the humidity can be kept stable, is doesn't really matter if air gets in and out....

Your thoughts ?

Stable humidity kind of requires an enclosed environment. Also "air exchange", which sounds rather myth-like to me, is easily achieved by opening the humidor to grab a smoke.

I've heard conflicting views on whether or not a humidor should be airtight or not. Some folks say the air needs to be "changed" once in a while anyway so a tight seal isn't necessary.

I'm thinking that as long as the humidity can be kept stable, is doesn't really matter if air gets in and out....

Your thoughts ?

I was once referred to the 'dollar bill test' to check the quality of a humidor's seal. I also assume that in a desktop humidor, or something similar, enough air will be exchanged when choosing a cigar to smoke.

At the end of the day, your post isn't really descriptive. Do you already own a humidor? What are your storage needs?

-Mark

PS. Try using the search feature.

Do the humidors that you make not have good seals on them?

Do the humidors that you make not have good seals on them?

I wouldn't say the seals on my humidors are airtight but there is a slight "woosh" when closing the lid and the humidity is relatively easy to keep stable.

I was just wondering if I was being too anal when fitting the lids to the boxes.

The woosh is advertised by the big boys, and air tight would be relative to the porosity of the wood anyway. SureSeal technology seems to cover the bases.

129031674878926373.jpg

I've really been meaning to address this issue myself. I think a reasonably tight seal is necessary, especially in the winter months in colder climates. Because of the drying effects of indoor heating.

It's no prob for me here in the summer, but now in the winter I am having some problems keeping the humidity up. The seal on my larger humidor (a sentinel) is very bad as the door is not dead straight on it's leading edge. The lock is in the center, but at the top and bottom there is no tension, resulting in a nice 1/4" space. I add water more often and keep my humidifier higher than I should have to. I think a good seal is a pretty important part of keeping a consistent level in there.

On a related note, anyone have any good tips on locking down a slightly bowed door? I tried magnets from the interior, but they're just not nearly strong enough. Thought of luggage latches, but I don't think I can find them big enough. I have an eye on a couple cam locking latches meant for boats on ebay, but can't be sure from the pics that they will mount properly. Any other tips would be very helpful, I'm hoping for something with a touch of class, in keeping with the brass hardware look of the cabinet (i.e. no bungee cord suggestions as I have already thought of them). Anyone on the board own a boat supply place perhaps? I don't want to drop $50 on ebay on a pair of cam locking latches, only to find they don't fit when they arrive..

Getting back to the thread, as long as you don't have a big open gap I think you're ok. Especially if the humidity seems stable. Like I said my humidity needs more maintenance than it should.

On a related note, anyone have any good tips on locking down a slightly bowed door? I tried magnets from the interior, but they're just not nearly strong enough. Thought of luggage latches, but I don't think I can find them big enough. I have an eye on a couple cam locking latches meant for boats on ebay, but can't be sure from the pics that they will mount properly. Any other tips would be very helpful, I'm hoping for something with a touch of class, in keeping with the brass hardware look of the cabinet (i.e. no bungee cord suggestions as I have already thought of them). Anyone on the board own a boat supply place perhaps? I don't want to drop $50 on ebay on a pair of cam locking latches, only to find they don't fit when they arrive..
Maybe you could attach some sort of decorative metal strip to the outside of the door to straighten it out?

My humi isn't extremely tightly sealed, my only problem, as you say, is maintaining RH numbers, which I do with a humidifier and fans.

Maybe you could attach some sort of decorative metal strip to the outside of the door to straighten it out?

My humi isn't extremely tightly sealed, my only problem, as you say, is maintaining RH numbers, which I do with a humidifier and fans.

A decent creative idea I didn't think of.

But I think the lock in the center of the door isn't going to achieve a tight fit regardless of whether the door is straightened. I would still be looking at a wobble and no seal. I guess I really need some sort of latching or strapping mechanisms..

Your thoughts ?

Is this your account too: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showuser=8970

Please advise.

]On a related note, anyone have any good tips on locking down a slightly bowed door? I tried magnets from the interior, but they're just not nearly strong enough. Thought of luggage latches, but I don't think I can find them big enough. I have an eye on a couple cam locking latches meant for boats on ebay, but can't be sure from the pics that they will mount properly. Any other tips would be very helpful, I'm hoping for something with a touch of class, in keeping with the brass hardware look of the cabinet (i.e. no bungee cord suggestions as I have already thought of them). Anyone on the board own a boat supply place perhaps? I don't want to drop $50 on ebay on a pair of cam locking latches, only to find they don't fit when they arrive..

I use these on my Cabinets:
12,01,10a.jpg

12,01,10g.jpg

You can make a gasket to fit any door with GE Silicone II Bathtub caulk.
Don't get the kind that smells like vinegar, rather get the kind that smells
more benign.(alcohol based) Yes, you should read the label to tell the
difference.

Put a bead around the door jamb and waxed paper on the door.
Close the door, but not tight. I used a toothpick on mine to let the gasket cure
so that a little pressure is required to latch the door.

Let the caulk cure for up to a week. The wax paper will keep the door and gasket
from sticking together until the caulk cures.

Once the caulk is cured, peel off the waxed paper. If you want a little air circulation
just trim off a bit of gasket until you get your desired air/rh exchange rate.

On my humi I sealed the door tightly, but I left the window unsealed. In the winter
I add a small cap of water once per week to my 150 ct. In the summer the
ambient rh is high enough that I only add water every few weeks.

This is the same method we used at the local airport to seal doors on aircraft, from
leaking in the rain. Those gaskets were up to an inch thick in spots.

Put your smokes in tupperware, while forming the gasket. Fumes, and such.

Chemyst :cool:

Your thoughts ?

Is this your account too: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showuser=8970

Please advise.

Nope...that ain't me.

The gentlemen in Texas that built my cabinet and I had an interesting disucssion about this. He told me he originally tried a magnetic strip seal that sealed completely....and didn't like the results. He thought a slight amount of seal leakage was a good thing. Bob now uses what I believe to be a neoprene gasket. My cabinet has wonderful seals and holds the RH very nicely...but the doors aren't "air tight", to be sure.

One more opinion....B.B.S.