• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Alternatives to Windows XP or Vista

lordlister

You can observe a lot by just watching
Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to XP or Vista?

Yes, Check out Lindows. Its a lot cheaper and getting more and more mainstream. Its an open source OS and acts like windows (to an extent).

LINKY

Fedora Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu, and Gentoo - all Linux distros, to name a few.

I suggest you check out a Mac. They're easy to use, more stable, and Apple has gone to some lengths to minimize the pain Windows users might feel making the switch.

I suggest you check out a Mac. They're easy to use, more stable, and Apple has gone to some lengths to minimize the pain Windows users might feel making the switch.

He said

cheaper alternatives

Not Mac bashing, but last time I checked it won't be cheaper to switch to a Macintosh, due to him having to buy a completely new system.

You might want to give Solaris a try LL.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp

It's all about the peripherals and the software.

If you have lots of gizmos that you connect to your computer (cell phone, mp3 players, camera, printer, gps, etc), then you'll probably be happier with one of the mainstream operating systems (windows or mac). Getting all those devices to play nice with Linux can be a hassle. Wireless security can also be a hassle (if you plan to install on a notebook).

If you run any specific software, you'll have to find an equivalent for the new operating system. Depending on what you run, this can be a real chore.

In my opinion, while the Linux distributions are free, they just aren't ready for everybody to use. If your system is simple, you don't have complicated peripheral issues and your software needs are pretty mainstream...Linux can be an excellent choice. You can't beat free!

I've to all the gizmos and some specific software requirements. Although I've tested the various Linux flavors over the years, I've never managed to get one fully functional. The last time I bailed on Linux, I just couldn't bring myself to go back to Windows, so I bought a Mac. It isn't a good choice if you are looking for "less expensive" because they don't sell that many models and very few low-end models. Almost all of their computers are mid-to-high-end pieces and are priced accordingly.

But it's easy to use and is generally more stable. They have their issues, but all-in-all, a better package (hardware/software) to live with, long-term.

If you want to try Linux, I'd recommend using a spare computer (if you have one) and starting with the most recent version of Ubuntu. It's easy to install and maintain. Suse is another one I liked for the same reasons. Some of the other distributions can be difficult to manage over the long-term (if you don't know about package management, you will.....).

Good luck!

I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses! I think I'm going to take everyone's advice. In particular I have a spare computer and I was hoping to play around with one of the free Unix systems available. I really appreciate all the links to these applications. However, the next time I plunk down some change for a computer, I think I'll have to go Mac. Thanks everyone!

Abacus & a dictionary maybe?

LOL!

I have a sealed, still in the box copy of Windows 3.0 back in my office. I can send it to you if you'd like. No charge. :laugh:

lol @Tom36 I have a sealed box of IBM DOS 1.0 if you really want to get serious :p

I never even owned a computer with windows 3.0 on it LOL

lol @Tom36 I have a sealed box of IBM DOS 1.0 if you really want to get serious :p
I have, believe it or not, a copy of Windows 1.0. It's on a 5.25" floppy, however..... :laugh: All it really is, is a gui for DOS.

If you're planning on test driving a Linux distro, I can tell you that the "popular" distros I see the guys at work using seem to be Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE.

A great linux resource is DistroWatch. Easy to recommend if you're interested in what's going on with Linux. Very up to date info.

I wish I had a buck for every computer that's landed on my bench in the garage where the owner told me "...I hate Windows! It crashes / is unstable / has to be rebooted all the time...." and I then go on to find problems with either the memory or the hard drive. I've put brand new motherboards together with brand new memory that won't pass Memtest86+ more often than you'd think. Brand new hard drives that won't pass their manufacturer's full diagnostics. Many problems like this are subtle, since the machine is perfectly happy to come up and run, but can wreak havoc on an operating system over time.

Having said that, sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy left that really likes Windows. No, I haven't drank the Vista cool-aid yet (nor plan to), but XP Professional and I get along just fine. Better than fine, actually. My #1 machine is a 3.0G P4 machine, and the reason I've never upgraded is this is without a doubt the most stable system I've ever owned. It'll go weeks without a reboot. Usually, the only reason it gets rebooted are for software updates. It's fast as hell, runs all the software I want to run without issue, supports my peripherals flawlessly, networks with the other machines here (also XP based) and backs everyone up, games great, etc....nothing to complain about..!!

Use what you like, like what you use.... :cool:

Take care, guys - B.B.S.

I've been playing with Linux for many years now (Ubuntu, Linspire, Gentoo, etc). Only problem is, every time I install a Linux distro, I spend more time trying to install emulators so that I can run window's apps. I tried Mac a few times, however I just really like the feel of Windows. All depends on what you primarily use your PC for. Macs are great for most home users, however they are pricey. Get a new Dell system with Vista, and I'm sure it'll run stable. I'm running Vista on a Dell XPS 420 and it runs great, had a problem a little while ago but figured out it was a buggy beta version of FireFox which was causing the issues. Upgraded to the latest stable version of FF and have had no problems. I know there are a lot of Vista/Windows haters out there, but if you have a system that can support the OS, then it runs great. Otherwise, you'll have problems.

Before switching to a Mac, go to the Apple store and test drive it.

Linux has a long ways to go before people really start adapting it into their homes (software, drivers, compatibility, etc plague Linux from going mainstream for home users).

As many times I've tried finding an alternative to Windows (that works for me), I keep coming back to it, so my vote is stick with Windows. :)

I wish I had a buck for every computer that's landed on my bench in the garage where the owner told me "...I hate Windows! It crashes / is unstable / has to be rebooted all the time...." and I then go on to find problems with either the memory or the hard drive. I've put brand new motherboards together with brand new memory that won't pass Memtest86+ more often than you'd think. Brand new hard drives that won't pass their manufacturer's full diagnostics. Many problems like this are subtle, since the machine is perfectly happy to come up and run, but can wreak havoc on an operating system over time.

Having said that, sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy left that really likes Windows. No, I haven't drank the Vista cool-aid yet (nor plan to), but XP Professional and I get along just fine. Better than fine, actually. My #1 machine is a 3.0G P4 machine, and the reason I've never upgraded is this is without a doubt the most stable system I've ever owned. It'll go weeks without a reboot. Usually, the only reason it gets rebooted are for software updates. It's fast as hell, runs all the software I want to run without issue, supports my peripherals flawlessly, networks with the other machines here (also XP based) and backs everyone up, games great, etc....nothing to complain about..!!

Use what you like, like what you use.... :cool:

Take care, guys - B.B.S.

I couldn't agree more, my windows box is completely solid, I've left it running for weeks before and it stayed completely solid. The only issues I run into are playing some older games with the newer Nvidia graphics drivers, but that's not really a huge deal. With windows it's all about making sure your hardware is completely solid, and then managing your computer well.

I got a Dell inspirion 1721 back in november with Vista on it.. Runs good but can get a lil bit flakey at times.. Had a blue screen once. Been thinking about having them look at it since I paid for the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.

For what it's worth I thought I'd put my two pennies in, though it'll only confirm the opinions above.

I'm thoroughly fed-up with Vista, so I've moved too.
You can see a rant I wrote up here where you see I've changed my laptop (and now phone) OS to Apple.

I like OSX, and if you're not comfortable with entertaining Linux (which you obviously are) then I'd go with it, if you can afford it.

Otherwise, as a 'nix newbie, I'd go with Ubuntu. It's easy to install and use, and you'll get a lot of on-line support.

Or try OpenSuSE - its what I prefer, having to run multiple SuSE servers for most of the day in my day-job as a software development manager.
You won't find it overwhelmingly different to Ubuntu imo.

(I don't agree with the earlier advice to go with Solaris, it has even more oddities than Linux, and you'll find a heck of a lot more help on the Inter-wibble regarding Linux. I use both on a day-to-day basis.)

I have used my crusty Dos skills from time to time. It was quite easy to hack into a password protected old discarded school computer that was using some commercial security software. Went in the back door and deleted the program. then walked in the front door to clean house :)

It's running songbird sounds in the nature center now :)

If more kids knew Dos some software companies would be in real trouble.