• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Always check your receipts.

CigarMan Andy

Traveling Herf Man
So, I'm at home paying bills and I notice that one of my small credit cards is over the limit and has a charge of $30 for going over. I only use this card for gas and small things, but I had a used the card for a few items this month and the limit was up. I still should have had $150 available. I looked up my recent transactions on line and this is what I found.

A couple of weeks previous, I stopped into one of the local B&Ms to see what they had that was new. I usually don't shop there because they are usually high $ for Opus, Anejo and GOF but they sometimes get the hard to find. Nothing out of the ordinary, but since I had not tried the NUB yet, I bought a couple and a 601 maduro. The total came to $20.03, so I used the card and forgot the receipt. I didn't think anything more about it.

When I reviewed my statement, I had a charge of $125 from that B&M. I ONLY bought three cigars for God sake. Anyway, I called the owner and explained what he had done, and went to go see him. He checked his records for the transaction and the M/C receipts. He found both and they did not match. Being that I had a friendly relationship with them, he corrected the mistake and refunded the money, and the credit card company removed the $30 charge. The owner of the shop gave me a NUB for my trouble.

The facts are these:
I didn't read the receipt before I signed it.
crazy.gif

I didn't take the receipt with me for my records.
banghead3.gif

and
I assumed that people don't make mistakes.
blush.gif

What I learned:
Always read before you sign.
smiley-thumbs-up.gif

Take and keep all your receipts.
thumbs-up.gif

And try and treat people the way you like to be treated.
dude.gif

Glad it work out in the end, soemtimes those stories can get a little hairy before all is said and done. Good advice as well about the receipts. :thumbs:

I usually always throw my receipts away... maybe i need to rethink that strategy.

I usually always throw my receipts away... maybe i need to rethink that strategy.

My thoughts exactly.

I used to keep all my receipts in my wallet, but after moving to a money clip I have nowhere to keep them. I just might have to switch back to the wallet to keep up with my records. Tough situation for you but I'm glad it worked out!

I NEVER have cash in my wallet. All I use is my debit/credit card, and I keep all my receipts in my wallet, so many they hang out. I'll take them out every now and then. I've had that happen to many times, so I always keep them.

"Trust but verify....".....never a bad strategy.... :cool:

Glad it worked out - B.B.S.

Last year after eating lunch at a local Chinese buffett I was signing my debit card receipt and just happened to notice that instead of the $ 7 and change it should have been it was $ 70 something! So after explaining the mistake the lady tried and tried to correct it but was unable to. She ended up giving me the difference back in cash.