• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Amatriciana

Raisins in the Braciole!  Way to go Clint! They go real well with the Parlsley vice the Basil too. And I mean a whole lotta parsley. Also, try some raisins in your meatballs some time. I like them that way once in a while.  Another thing I make for my son is Sausage balls, with cinnamon. Just get your favorite Italian Sausage, take it out of the skin, add a nice bit of cinnamon, and fry them up in Pure Olive Oil...not EVOO for frying, imo it gets a lil bitter as it has a lower smoke point.

MadMonk said:
Raisins in the Braciole!  Way to go Clint! They go real well with the Parlsley vice the Basil too. And I mean a whole lotta parsley. Also, try some raisins in your meatballs some time. I like them that way once in a while.  Another thing I make for my son is Sausage balls, with cinnamon. Just get your favorite Italian Sausage, take it out of the skin, add a nice bit of cinnamon, and fry them up in Pure Olive Oil...not EVOO for frying, imo it gets a lil bitter as it has a lower smoke point.

X2 on the raisins...especially in fried meatballs. That little bit of a sweet taste plays off the meat, grated cheese, and spices perfectly! The key is to push the raisins into the meatball before frying, otherwise they get too crispy and lose that sweet taste if on the outside.

photo1_zpsf8bd46e2.jpg

But then again, we eat 80% of our meatballs right out of the frying pan with a beer or glass of red wine in the other hand... :p

photo2_zps1f9d1a1d.jpg

I normally grind the raisins in with the meat I'm using for my meatballs, adds that distinctive sweetness Gary mentioned without it becoming a pain in the ass. I use a fine grind, so I don't normally notice a texture contrast which I prefer, but if I use a larger grind it does add a unique chew to them.

I had no clue what sort of proportions to put in the braciole, so I winged it.  Plus they looked like a drunk Stevie Wonder rolled and tied them up so as a result there were quite a few raisins and pine nuts in the sauce.  There's always room for improvement, and the practice is delicious!

MoeCizlak said:
I had no clue what sort of proportions to put in the braciole, so I winged it.  Plus they looked like a drunk Stevie Wonder rolled and tied them up so as a result there were quite a few raisins and pine nuts in the sauce.  There's always room for improvement, and the practice is delicious!
I stick at about 2oz per lb of final product. So a half of cup of raisins per 2lbs of meatballs.

Oh! That's what my grandmother meant when she said, "A little of this." :whistling:

Doc.