• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

American style BBQ recipe

Lemon

Summer doesn't last that long in Finland, so you have to barbeque while the weather allows you. I would like to try something different, a marinade with some real flavor. I have never marinated meat myself, I've always bought the steaks ready from the supermarket, which are... well, lousy I guess (compared to self-made). I thought I would try something really tasty. Since Americans are quite known for their BBQ's, this should be a great place to get a recipe for marinating some steaks. I'm not looking for your centuries old secret family recipe (unless you want to share ;)). Just something relatively simple, with spices you think I have a chance of finding over here. Any hints of preparation are also welcome.

I know, I know. Why don't I just google (why does it underline this word, it's a verb nowadays, isn't it?) for a recipe. Well, I thought this would be more fun :D

I've posted this before but here it is again.

Summer doesn't last that long in Finland, so you have to barbeque while the weather allows you. I would like to try something different, a marinade with some real flavor. I have never marinated meat myself, I've always bought the steaks ready from the supermarket, which are... well, lousy I guess (compared to self-made). I thought I would try something really tasty. Since Americans are quite known for their BBQ's, this should be a great place to get a recipe for marinating some steaks. I'm not looking for your centuries old secret family recipe (unless you want to share ;)). Just something relatively simple, with spices you think I have a chance of finding over here. Any hints of preparation are also welcome.

I know, I know. Why don't I just google (why does it underline this word, it's a verb nowadays, isn't it?) for a recipe. Well, I thought this would be more fun :D

I haven't branched out enough when it comes to trying new things. I always use Montreal Steak Seasoning to rub on my tri-tips and rib-eyes, and then marinate them in some garlic terriyaki sauce. Always does the trick for me.

If the beef is worth eating, all it needs is fresh ground pepper. Salt to taste after it's cooked, medium rare or less, so as to not dry it out. Sometimes I rub a fresh garlic clove over the raw beef, but that's it. Good beef is too damn expensive to over power it's flavor with traditional BBQ seasonings.

Doc.

If the beef is worth eating, all it needs is fresh ground pepper. Salt to taste after it's cooked, medium rare or less, so as to not dry it out. Sometimes I rub a fresh garlic clove over the raw beef, but that's it. Good beef is too damn expensive to over power it's flavor with traditional BBQ seasonings.

Doc.

I'm with Doc on this one.

Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper, let sit.

When it comes off either put some olive oil or melted butter on, just a bit though.

I've posted this before but here it is again.

That sure does look interesting. But what a lot of ingredients :0 I just might have to try it out though. Thanks :thumbs:

There are a few different recipes and rubs on my website if you check it out

Ribs aren't such a traditional BBQ dish here, in fact I don't think you can find them anywhere really. What kind of meat would do nicely instead of ribs? I think I could get cow's meat (sorry for the lack of a better term) for a price I can live with. I generally don't like to BBQ pork meat, I'd rather go with chicken or cow (or salmon, which kicks ass).

Then a general question about the process itself. Should I just let the meat soak in the marinade, or apply more while the meat is on the grill? I saw some show about BBQ restaurants in Las Vegas, and this guy was applying sauce to the meat all the time, to create a thick tasty layer. Like I said in my original post, any hints are welcome :thumbs:

Once my dad BBQ'd some higher quality stuff, which had only salt and pepper on it. Best grilled meat I've had so far. The meat itself tasted so good, the salt and pepper only worked as a catalyst.

If you want to try something easy for chicken...

1. Soak the chicken pieces/parts in cold water for 2-4 hours. If you don't have room in your fridge keep adding ice, but make sure that the chicken is completely submerged. If you have some "floaters" just put a heavy plate on top of the soaking container to keep 'em under.
2. Dry the chicken thoroughly, I use good quality paper towels
3. Mix the chicken with some fresh rosemary, crushed garlic, some fresh lemon juice and a little olive oil. Some kosher or sea salt and some black pepper doesn't hurt. Let them sit in this about 2 hours. A ziplock bag works well. Keep refrigerated.
4. Grill until done. Serve with a nice Witte beer.

Fish

1. Soak the chicken pieces/parts in cold water for 2-4 hours. If you don't have room in your fridge keep adding ice, but make sure that the chicken is completely submerged. If you have some "floaters" just put a heavy plate on top of the soaking container to keep 'em under.
3. Mix the chicken with some fresh rosemary, crushed garlic, some fresh lemon juice and a little olive oil. Some kosher or sea salt and some black pepper doesn't hurt. Let them sit in this about 2 hours. A ziplock bag works well. Keep refrigerated.

Fish

This looks really nice and I would really like to try it :thumbs:

Edit: I will try this one tonight. Better go get the ingredients right away :cool:

Fish

This looks really nice and I would really like to try it :thumbs:

Edit: I will try this one tonight. Better go get the ingredients right away :cool:

Hey Lemon, I posted a BBQ Tofu recipe online, the sauce is awesome and fairly easy.
If you apply sauce don't apply it until just before you take the meat off the grill.

Good luck to ya, and have a great day

Rob