• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

An eventful morning

Buy one with more outlets than you think you'll need, not only because of the staggering number of devices that each require a power supply, but because their plugs are often so stinking big and the outlet holes are typically spaced close enough together that you'll inevitably wind up with some inaccessible outlets...
These babys take care of that problem. The store I linked, PCH cables, has hella good prices on most any cable you can imagine. Worth checking out.

As someone who had a motherboard fried by a nearby lightning strike (wife knew to unplug the computer in an electrical storm but neglected to disconnect the modem and/or phone line...), I've learned the hard way of the importance of a legit, heavy-duty back up universal power supply with a built-in surge protector instead of just using cheap power strips that supposedly act as surge protectors.

Buy one with more outlets than you think you'll need, not only because of the staggering number of devices that each require a power supply, but because their plugs are often so stinking big and the outlet holes are typically spaced close enough together that you'll inevitably wind up with some inaccessible outlets...
X2

You don't have to spend a ton to get a good surge protector that protects both data and power inputs. A UPS is nice but not necessary unless power outages are regular.

Best of luck with your search, Alan!

I defer to both of you about these things--perhaps I overpurchased out of reactance to losing my computer (luckily the hard drive was perfectly fine and I didn't lose all my stuff) and I certainly overlooked the simple solution of those little adapter doodads...

Nevertheless, I advise Senor Bastardo and everyone else to ensure your computer is insulated from surges of electricity, and to remind your wives to unplug everything connected to your computer during electrical storms...

I'm starting to think that the power going out was just coincidental to the problem. Everything on the machine is fine save the main hard drive. It's weird. Back up power supplies are a good idea, though.

Oh well, I went out and got the new system today. Dell Inspiron 560 which is a HUGE upgrade from where we were (Intel Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, and even got a new 20" LCD widescreen). I've been trying to get used to Windows 7. It's so much different than XP. Took me a little while to set up the network since the laptops we have all run XP, but I got 'er all figured out now. Now comes installing all of my applications. Ugh.

Does anyone have a LEGAL copy of Acrobat they'd be willing to trade? I use some of the functions that the free reader doesn't have and I can't find the key to my disc.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

....not sure about that. I'm running Office 2010 64-bit at home and work on 64-bit W7 and it FLIES. The software is able to address all the RAM I have and it's amazingly fast and completely stable.

The outlook sync and onenote sync in 64 bit office is broken. And MS admitted they have no idea when it will be fixed. If you aren't using a PDA then its probably great.

And I was talking HP desktops not laptops, big difference (even though the HP laptops we have at work have been working for 3 years without one problem, Dell however is another story). The ASUS laptops are great, everyone I know who has one is happy with it.

AMD desktops are fine. I have one and it does everything I want it to do including every single modern game I've thrown at it so far.

LOL Dude you got a Dell, well good luck with that... and send me a PM with which Acrobat you have, I have more than a few legal OEM keys sitting around not being used.

I'm starting to think that the power going out was just coincidental to the problem. Everything on the machine is fine save the main hard drive. It's weird. Back up power supplies are a good idea, though.

Oh well, I went out and got the new system today. Dell Inspiron 560 which is a HUGE upgrade from where we were (Intel Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, and even got a new 20" LCD widescreen). I've been trying to get used to Windows 7. It's so much different than XP. Took me a little while to set up the network since the laptops we have all run XP, but I got 'er all figured out now. Now comes installing all of my applications. Ugh.

Does anyone have a LEGAL copy of Acrobat they'd be willing to trade? I use some of the functions that the free reader doesn't have and I can't find the key to my disc.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
A new toy! :love:

I'm envious, Alan. Can I slave your drive to mine?

LOL Dude you got a Dell, well good luck with that... and send me a PM with which Acrobat you have, I have more than a few legal OEM keys sitting around not being used.

Well, the previous machine lasted 6 years and it was a Dell, so I hope this one is at least that good. If it doesn't last, I'll have learned my lesson. :p

I'll send you a pm when I get time to work on it again tonight. Appreciate it, Shawn. :thumbs:

Just saw this deal today, but it looks like you went with a Dell. Good luck Alan!

Screenshot2011-01-26at13408PM.png

-Jimmy